Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Does Free Play Look Like?
mamamanda 06:55 PM 03-07-2015
I love spending time with my dcks. I enjoy circle time, story time, singing & dancing around the room with them, doing preschool experiments, & group activities. Their little conversations just make my day. But free play time stresses me out. I know they learn more through play than through anything else so this is obviously the most important part of their day, but it is also the most stressful part of mine. I think either a)my expectations of them are too high, or b) I'm not effectively teaching them the boundaries I want them to respect. So I guess I'm just wondering, what does free play look like at your home daycare? Do the kids sit and play with one activity at a time, do they move around acting out scenes from movies, do they play together nicely, or you do you have kids that argue with each other a lot? Do they clean up as they go, or just pitch in at the end of play time? Thanks for your input.
Baby Beluga 08:10 PM 03-07-2015
My current group is rowdy and they all have attitudes. Free play used to be I would let them pick one big activity (say kitchen and dramatic play, dress up or play dough) and all 5 would play nicely together. Now however they argue over who can touch who and are just having trouble getting along. Free play turns into less play and more bickering.

The past few weeks we have moved all free play to "centers." I let a couple of kids on one rug and a couple of kids on another rug. Each rug gets one activity (say blocks on one rug and lacing card/beads on another). The center and the children in each center must stay on their designated rug until it is time to switch.

If someone is unable to play nicely in a center or is just showing me that they need space, then they may do puzzles or read in a hula hoop off to the side of the room.
Sunshine74 08:17 PM 03-07-2015
I don't have experience with home daycares, but I have worked with many different age groups (just not multiple at one time). Right now I am with older 2's-3yo. During out free play, the children are free to move around the room and play with pretty much anything. For the most part, they clean up after free play is over, but if I notice that there is something out that no one has touched in awhile, I will call out to see if I have anyone who can help me clean up the blocks (or the little people, etc). Or if I know who was playing with the toy, I will have them come and pick up quickly. Some of the children are starting to play together more, but some are still more playing by the other children, rather than with them. It is more of an active type of play, not sitting and doing an activity- though it could be if that is what they choose to do. But it is not running around and being wild either.

Sometimes they play together well, sometimes they argue all day. Then free play becomes a little less free, and we will separate them if they really can't get along. We have dcks who are close in age and have been with us and the other children since they were infants, so sometimes they argue like siblings.

Play is so different for different ages though. So if you have a younger group, they may not play with each other, just next to each other with the same toys. Or if you have a lot of older preschoolers, you will see them playing together more, making up games or acting out scenes.

Here are a couple good articles about the different stages of play:

http://www.district196.org/ec/Teache...agesofPlay.cfm
http://mom.me/parenting/5309-stages-...velopment/?p=2

What boundaries are you looking to set?
jenboo 09:26 PM 03-07-2015
There are no rules to free play... It's free.
The kids play with whatever they want for how long they want. They play by themselves or with friends, it's up to them. Yes, there are arguments but that's expected. With children learning to play together. I try to remind then to clean up as they go but we all clean up together before our next transition.
One kid might be playing with block
Another is reading a book
Two are playing in the kitchen area
The toddler is bringing me books to read to her
And the baby is laying on the floor chewing on a toy.
Gemma 09:36 PM 03-07-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I love spending time with my dcks. I enjoy circle time, story time, singing & dancing around the room with them, doing preschool experiments, & group activities. Their little conversations just make my day. But free play time stresses me out. I know they learn more through play than through anything else so this is obviously the most important part of their day, but it is also the most stressful part of mine. I think either a)my expectations of them are too high, or b) I'm not effectively teaching them the boundaries I want them to respect. So I guess I'm just wondering, what does free play look like at your home daycare? Do the kids sit and play with one activity at a time, do they move around acting out scenes from movies, do they play together nicely, or you do you have kids that argue with each other a lot? Do they clean up as they go, or just pitch in at the end of play time? Thanks for your input.
I let the kids play what they want but within the limits...nothing too hectic or loud and they need to clean up before switching activity
Gemma 09:38 PM 03-07-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Sounds great! ... but my kids would spin out of control, if I didn't set limits
Michael 01:44 AM 03-08-2015
more threads on Free Play: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=free+play
Josiegirl 04:06 AM 03-08-2015
The kids play with whatever they want for how long they want. They play by themselves or with friends, it's up to them. Yes, there are arguments but that's expected. With children learning to play together. I try to remind then to clean up as they go but we all clean up together before our next transition.
That's exactly how I let it happen. They're making choices. Trying on different hats. They either get along great, have squabbles and figure things out together or need a little intervention and guidance. If everybody starts misbehaving then it's time to shift gears and find something they all love, like playdoh or sensory play, painting, things like that.
snbauser 05:14 AM 03-08-2015
This is similar to mine. The kids can play in whatever center they want with whatever toys they want. If a friend is playing in that center, they ask "may I play with you?" That friend can say "yes" or "no thank you". I do have certain centers that I limit the number of kids at a time and they must clean up one activity before they move on to another and they must use inside voices. But other than that, there are no rules. I will however step in if need be to stop arguing. If the arguing is non-stop, I will separate kids.
jenboo 08:17 AM 03-08-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
Sounds great! ... but my kids would spin out of control, if I didn't set limits
I obviously have some rules like no climbing on furniture, walking feet inside, no throwing toys, etc.
I mean free as in I don't control the toys they can play with, who they can play with etc.
finsup 09:32 AM 03-08-2015
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
I don't have experience with home daycares, but I have worked with many different age groups (just not multiple at one time). Right now I am with older 2's-3yo. During out free play, the children are free to move around the room and play with pretty much anything. For the most part, they clean up after free play is over, but if I notice that there is something out that no one has touched in awhile, I will call out to see if I have anyone who can help me clean up the blocks (or the little people, etc). Or if I know who was playing with the toy, I will have them come and pick up quickly. Some of the children are starting to play together more, but some are still more playing by the other children, rather than with them. It is more of an active type of play, not sitting and doing an activity- though it could be if that is what they choose to do. But it is not running around and being wild either.

Sometimes they play together well, sometimes they argue all day. Then free play becomes a little less free, and we will separate them if they really can't get along. We have dcks who are close in age and have been with us and the other children since they were infants, so sometimes they argue like siblings.

Play is so different for different ages though. So if you have a younger group, they may not play with each other, just next to each other with the same toys. Or if you have a lot of older preschoolers, you will see them playing together more, making up games or acting out scenes.

Yup, this is what it looks like here too. I love obseving it honestly, watching the stages of play change, watching kids learn to work out problems. It's such an important part of their day!
mamamanda 10:36 AM 03-08-2015
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:

Well, our floor plan in our home is very open so I can stand in the hallway and see into all 4 rooms that we typically use during the day. I have daycare toys in the large living room such as large lego bricks, wooden blocks, dinosaurs, dress-up clothes, potato heads, books, puzzles, & some baby toys. I also set up play areas kind of like centers in a couple bedrooms. They house a kitchen set w/ picnic table, car center with playsets that connect together, reading nook, and various other toys. Because of our set up the kids go back and forth between the rooms during free play time. I hang out in the hallway and chat/play with them where I can see everyone, but this leads to running between the rooms and the living room and both bedrooms look like a tornado hit them. I often find living room toys in the bedrooms and vice versa.
My two biggest stressors with free time is a)the rowdy behavior. The boys tend to run around playing super heroes or acting out action movies and they get very loud and I have to constantly remind them "no running," "no climbing on furniture," and "inside voices." b)The toys all over the floor in multiple rooms makes me feel anxious.
So I was thinking of having free play in one specific room each time, but letting them play in different rooms at different times of day. I also wonder about how much walking around should be expected, only because the walking leads to chasing, running, climbing, etc. I am constantly telling someone to stop one of these behaviors and I hate being on them all the time. It feels so negative, but when I redirect them back to toys/activities they act like I'm torturing them. They do not ever sit and play with blocks or dinosaurs for more than 3 or 4 minutes. Instead, they build something to fight the bad guys and jump back up to run and play. And there's a whole lot of fighting between this group of kids. I want free play to be a fun time to play together, but instead it is a source of conflict and frustration.
Annalee 01:20 PM 03-08-2015
I obviously have some rules like no climbing on furniture, walking feet inside, no throwing toys, etc.
I mean free as in I don't control the toys they can play with, who they can play with etc.
I have rules/guidelines as well. I consider Free Play a way for children to create their own learning experiences. I set up the environment and simply facilitate their learning. This means I pay attention to what works, what doesn't...I change out themes monthly to keep interest.
Stepping 04:25 PM 03-08-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Well, our floor plan in our home is very open so I can stand in the hallway and see into all 4 rooms that we typically use during the day. I have daycare toys in the large living room such as large lego bricks, wooden blocks, dinosaurs, dress-up clothes, potato heads, books, puzzles, & some baby toys. I also set up play areas kind of like centers in a couple bedrooms. They house a kitchen set w/ picnic table, car center with playsets that connect together, reading nook, and various other toys. Because of our set up the kids go back and forth between the rooms during free play time. I hang out in the hallway and chat/play with them where I can see everyone, but this leads to running between the rooms and the living room and both bedrooms look like a tornado hit them. I often find living room toys in the bedrooms and vice versa.
My two biggest stressors with free time is a)the rowdy behavior. The boys tend to run around playing super heroes or acting out action movies and they get very loud and I have to constantly remind them "no running," "no climbing on furniture," and "inside voices." b)The toys all over the floor in multiple rooms makes me feel anxious.
So I was thinking of having free play in one specific room each time, but letting them play in different rooms at different times of day. I also wonder about how much walking around should be expected, only because the walking leads to chasing, running, climbing, etc. I am constantly telling someone to stop one of these behaviors and I hate being on them all the time. It feels so negative, but when I redirect them back to toys/activities they act like I'm torturing them. They do not ever sit and play with blocks or dinosaurs for more than 3 or 4 minutes. Instead, they build something to fight the bad guys and jump back up to run and play. And there's a whole lot of fighting between this group of kids. I want free play to be a fun time to play together, but instead it is a source of conflict and frustration.
Following for ideas. We have a mixture of free play and guided activities here and try to keep rules to a minimum: inside voices, walking feet, no throwing toys. But lately, I feel like all they do is run around being bad guys or hoarding toys in a corner of the room. I have clearly defined centers but can't remember the last time someone stayed in a center for a sustained period of time (longer than 2-3 minutes) and actually built something or completed something.
Controlled Chaos 05:06 PM 03-08-2015
I switch out half of my toys every week (except the kitchen) so there isn't an overwhelming amount of toys to choose from. On a normal day our free play might look like:
2 4yos doing a puzzle at one table
2 3yos playing a tub of rice on the other table
a 1yo and a 4 yo looking at or chewing on books in the reading area
1 2yo playing with trucks
1 3yo playing with Legos

I try to have them clean as they go, but we all clean together before the next transition.
finsup 05:44 PM 03-08-2015
Could you narrow it down to one room during free play time and switch it up when needed? That way you can be right in the room with them and stepping in when needed. Then you've only got one room that gets messy too (which is hard, I get it. I like organized and clean lol. But I just remind myself no one leaves the room until its cleaned up).
jenboo 05:54 PM 03-08-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
Could you narrow it down to one room during free play time and switch it up when needed? That way you can be right in the room with them and stepping in when needed. Then you've only got one room that gets messy too (which is hard, I get it. I like organized and clean lol. But I just remind myself no one leaves the room until its cleaned up).

It sounds like you have too much space. I only use one room for daycare. No one is running back and forth... I'm right in the room with them reminding them to clean up etc. Maybe you could rotate rooms? Free play for each day of the week is in a different room?
Controlled Chaos 06:16 PM 03-08-2015
Yea, I can't imagine managing 4 different rooms. I would set some limits. You could either limit what rooms "open" or set a timer, they could play in a certain room till the timer goes off then cleanup and switch.
spinnymarie 06:32 PM 03-08-2015
I agree with narrowing it down. I find that I can often 'control' behaviors simply be arranging the environment to discourage what I want to avoid.
What I'd do in your situation:
1. Pull some toys out. If the best game is just dumping them all out, I'd limit toys and set up a rotation so there are less toys. Possibly pull one room and use it for storage, and limit the play are to the other rooms.
2. Provide some active time before free-play time. In my daycare children play with 'table toys' while kids are arriving, then we do calendar where we sing and dance and move around a lot, then we eat breakfast and then go outside weather permitting. THEN free play can happen. You could have them do some gymnastics or jumping jacks and stretches -- then read a book or do something calm and then let them have free play.
3. I'd make it harder to go between rooms. If there are large doorways, I'd partially block them with furniture. Eliminate any circles they can run around.
4. Make a new rule that you must clean up a room before leaving it. Period.
mamamanda 11:24 AM 03-09-2015
Thank you for the advice! I limited free play time to just one room at a time today & it was soooooo much better. I also implemented the"walking feet" rule. It was a lot of reminding, but they did pretty well for day one. Thanks again!
Gemma 03:26 PM 03-09-2015
I figured that, I just wasn't sure
Tags:free play
Reply Up