Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bit Off More Than I Can Chew?
gelbesonn 12:23 PM 09-08-2011
I have a new 6 mo DCB who is here 3 PM days/week (MWTh). Who is somewhat high maintenance (he cries/screams if I am not holding him and when I hold him he tries to wiggle out of my hands.) He started 2 weeks ago and I still can not get him to sleep. I am trying currently trying CIO. He fell asleep w/the bottle today, when I laid him down he started crying. I burped him to make sure the bubbles weren't keeping him awake. I put him in the basement so he doesn't wake the others. :-/

I am also newly pregnant (2 months along) and I NEEEEED the nap/quiet time for my sanity (but who doesn't right!). So far it hasn't happened on the days he is here. I have 2 SA students and also 3 toddlers (13 mos-2.5 yrs), so I need to be ready for the afternoon. I can barely go to the bathroom and take care of myself as a result of this baby.

I am hoping to announce my pregnancy to the DC parents next week. I am going to tell them that I will be changing my program to a 2s-3s program after my mat. leave. I'm hoping that the parents will decide to leave earlier than that.

I have a great routine with the other kids and this kids is throwing it off. I know there is an adjustment period, but I don't know if I'll last that long! The mom is also a former teacher friend of mine, so it sort of adds another dynamic to the situation. boo!
blessedmess8 02:49 PM 09-08-2011
I wish I had advice. I am dealing with the same thing with an 11 month who I've had since birth. Strap the baby to you, maybe? I'll just wish you luck!!! (I SO don't get the crying to be held, then wriggling away thing! Mine does that, also! ???)
Oneluckymom 05:52 PM 09-08-2011
The crying and wriggling away I think is "I'm crying for mommy and you are not my mommy" don't ya think? Makes since to me. Good luck.
ritah 06:20 PM 09-08-2011
Just posted this on another thread, but thought it MAY be helpful here as well...

My daughter and all the babies I've taken care of over the years have an eat, play, sleep cycle - meaning they eat right after they get up, then play and then go down for a nap. They don't go to sleep while eating. In an eat, sleep, play cycle, most babies will nod off to sleep while eating and, therefore, not get enough to eat to sustain them through a good nap. Of course, it helps if the parents are on board with this and do the same thing at home. And, of course, they don't do this for middle of the night feedings - just during the day.
gelbesonn 07:42 PM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by ritah:
Just posted this on another thread, but thought it MAY be helpful here as well...

My daughter and all the babies I've taken care of over the years have an eat, play, sleep cycle - meaning they eat right after they get up, then play and then go down for a nap. They don't go to sleep while eating. In an eat, sleep, play cycle, most babies will nod off to sleep while eating and, therefore, not get enough to eat to sustain them through a good nap. Of course, it helps if the parents are on board with this and do the same thing at home. And, of course, they don't do this for middle of the night feedings - just during the day.
Thanks for the suggestion. This is what I did with my son. E-A-S-Y (eat, awake, sleep, you). It was wonderful and it worked (and he was breastfed too). With the EASY way, I knew what my son needed (fed upon waking= full belly, when he started to get cranky again it was time for bed) The mom nurses him to sleep at home and she does not have him on any sort of schedule. His AM schedule is not consistent at home and therefor neither is his PM (at my house). Sometimes he takes a long AM nap, sometimes not. Sometimes she nurses him every few hours, sometimes he cluster feeds (fwiw- its NOT a supply issue). She said she also doesn't let him cry very much I need to have a talk with the mom about all this, but I don't quite know what to say.
I'm almost thinking that having him for whole days would make it easier for him to adjust. But that means they need to pay me more and more time for mom away from her bub. Of course that idea could also totally backfire!
ritah 08:17 PM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by gelbesonn:
Thanks for the suggestion. This is what I did with my son. E-A-S-Y (eat, awake, sleep, you). It was wonderful and it worked (and he was breastfed too). With the EASY way, I knew what my son needed (fed upon waking= full belly, when he started to get cranky again it was time for bed) The mom nurses him to sleep at home and she does not have him on any sort of schedule. His AM schedule is not consistent at home and therefor neither is his PM (at my house). Sometimes he takes a long AM nap, sometimes not. Sometimes she nurses him every few hours, sometimes he cluster feeds (fwiw- its NOT a supply issue). She said she also doesn't let him cry very much I need to have a talk with the mom about all this, but I don't quite know what to say.
I'm almost thinking that having him for whole days would make it easier for him to adjust. But that means they need to pay me more and more time for mom away from her bub. Of course that idea could also totally backfire!
I like that - EASY...easy to remember too!

It seems like you've talked with the mother about what she does and doesn't do at home, so the line of communication is already open. I would approach it with her just like you just explained it here...

"This is what I did with my son. E-A-S-Y (eat, awake, sleep, you). It was wonderful and it worked (and he was breastfed too). With the EASY way, I knew what my son needed (fed upon waking= full belly, when he started to get cranky again it was time for bed)"
cheerfuldom 08:18 PM 09-08-2011
we do the Baby Whisperer's EASY method too, in general.

one thing though is that the Baby Whisperer books do not advocate co-sleeping and I find that a lot of "on demand" parents are also co-sleepers and against routines in general. Its very hard to discuss a routine with parents who do not have one for themselves or see routines as restrictive for their child.
Tags:adjustment period, cio, pregnant, routine, won't sleep
Reply Up