Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>15 month old doesn't talk
Fruitloops1 03:22 PM 08-13-2012
I have a DCG (my first official one). She's 15 months and doesn't say a word!!! Doesn't mumble or babble . She kind of squeaks and will whine when shes tired or overwhelmed. With my own experience at that age they say something even if it isn't actual words. Parents are big on NO TV which is great, so she doesn't get parked in front of the TV for hours. Any suggestions?
Is this normal? Will she just come around? Not sure how I can help with the situation. She came by for a few hours today and she was great really enjoyed her snacks (good eater). Just very quiet...so quiet I turned on some kids music. I talk to her, tell her what we are doing, talk about the shapes and colors and all the stuffed animals. What else can I do?
Nickel 03:26 PM 08-13-2012
as long as she understands words she should be ok. my oldest wasnt much of a talker either. she said a few words here and there but was mostly silent until she was over two. does she talk ar home at all? say even a few words???
Fruitloops1 03:36 PM 08-13-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
as long as she understands words she should be ok. my oldest wasnt much of a talker either. she said a few words here and there but was mostly silent until she was over two. does she talk ar home at all? say even a few words???
Nope nothing at home either. Parents even put it in my application packet. I have a part that ask about any developmental concerns and they put she doesn't use her words.
Parents also do EVERYTHING for her. Put her shoes on get her things. The second she is struggling with something mom runs over to do it for her. She was there first child for parents who are older. Before me grandparents were watching her. Before those grandparents it was her grandfather from her fathers side which is romanian and ONLY spoke romanian. She's a bit shy but an overall happy baby and easy going.
Crystal 03:37 PM 08-13-2012
I wouldn't be concerned at all.
Nickel 03:50 PM 08-13-2012
She's probably just not talkative and she hasn't really had any reason to talk if her family does everything for her. I woudldn't be concerned just yet. Like I said my oldest barely talked at two years old whild my youngest isn't even three yet and she talks in complete sentences, will tell you a story, and is just very articulate for her age. She may surprise you and talk very well when she finally does start talking!!! lol
Heidi 04:57 PM 08-13-2012
If she seems to understand some simple instructions, she sounds ok. Maybe you could teach her a few signs to get her over the hump until she talks. Things like "eat", "more", "help", "please".

My sister didn't say much of anything until she was a good 3. Then, she started german (or native language) and english all at once and in full sentences. My grandparents kept telling my mother that something was wrong with her.

My sister is now 46, a classic type "A" personality, and gives speeches in front of our state legislator, as well as representing people as a union rep in the courtroom. Yeah...she talks allright!

If she's not saying a couple words by 2 or 2 1/2, I'd be more concerned. But 15 months...nah...
Fruitloops1 07:18 PM 08-13-2012
Thanks everyone!! I had a feeling she's all right, just never came across such a quiet little thing!
kitkat 07:19 PM 08-13-2012
Has she had a well baby check for 15 months yet? I know some doctors do, but some also skip to 18 months. The 15 month check, if she will be having one, would be a great time for parents to bring up their concern. DS was evaluated by Birth to Three when he was 9 months old because we and the dr had some concerns, including language. At his 12 month follow up, the Birth to Three evaluator told us to contact her if he still wasn't saying anything at 15 months.

Although it's probably pretty normal at 15 months to not be talking, I would still suggest the parents express their concern to the dr. I'm sure the mix of 2 languages, even if it was for only a short time, is causing a bit of a delay.
Sprouts 07:21 PM 08-13-2012
Baby sign language is great, the signing time DVDs are awesome u can get them on amazon, and sometimes they play it on cable to be DVR'd

And I agree if her parents do every thing for her then she has so need to talk, they are like psychic lol
SilverSabre25 08:39 PM 08-13-2012
Definitely introduce some signing. that can be such a great opener for a reluctant talker. The Signing Time DVDs are really awesome and fun for everyone. The music is NOT annoying and is actually very catchy.

As long as her receptive language seems on par then I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of expressive--but I would still do the signing because it really is such a great tool for ALL children.
quailsgarden 10:44 PM 08-13-2012
I care fore an 18 month old boy who grunts and can say mama and dada but that is pretty much it. I taught him a bunch on signs and it has made a huge difference. All the other kids know all of the signs that I have taught him so they can communicate with each other.
sunflower 04:45 AM 08-14-2012
I have an almost 22 month old in my care who is pretty non-verbal. She does babbling, says mama for every single person she sees, and her newest word is ball. I think she has 3-4 other words that I have heard her say. I also do signing with my own children and continued it when I started child care. She took to it right away and has about 15 signs now (eat, sleep, diaper, again, more, all done, ball, bird, help, plus more). Her parents love it too, because now they can communicate with her more too. From what I understand, if they are only using vowel sounds around that age, it is not considered babbling and some suggest you may want to consider speech therapy. That being said, some kiddos are just late talkers. I'd still wait, as 15 months is still very young.

Edit: My husband's aunt didn't really talk until she was 7.. yes, 7! Now she gives speeches for a living. :P
brookeroo 05:13 AM 08-14-2012
I have one that his parents taught him sign language. I'm having a very difficult time getting him to speak the words that his parents taught him to sign. He is about 21 months old now but I do feel that there is more going on with him than they want to consider. I've been having a lot of issues with him. However he is improving verbally since I took on an older child a few weeks ago.

I do have to tell you with this experience and with my past experiences when I worked with my mother in her daycare for so long that a lot of times when they get around other kids their own age or even a little older for the first time that you will see a huge change in them. (Sometimes after even a very short time.) They start learning a lot faster when they are around other children that they can watch and pick things up from.

I wouldn't worry too much. Each child is different and learns at their own pace. If their is a problem a lot of times it can take a long time to come out.
Reply Up