Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Say?
sally 02:13 PM 04-08-2014
Kind of funny but I was changing diapers on my 2 littles after nap, a boy and a girl. A 3 year old boy watches me change both and says I have a weiner and so does L but she don't have no weiner. I didn't know what to say. Must be time to get him busy at the table coloring while I change diapers?
ihop 02:21 PM 04-08-2014
I only change infants in the same room but I'd probably just say," you're right" and move on. I have a newly two year old who tells me at every diaper change that he is a boy. I just say you're right. Sometimes he asks if im a girl or a boy. I don't make a fuss.

I teach the value of privacy at around 12-18months so we never watch people potty or get diapered here.
jenboo 02:21 PM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by sally:
Kind of funny but I was changing diapers on my 2 littles after nap, a boy and a girl. A 3 year old boy watches me change both and says I have a weiner and so does L but she don't have no weiner. I didn't know what to say. Must be time to get him busy at the table coloring while I change diapers?
I would say something like "you are right. Girls and boys are different. boys have (insert preferred word) and girls have (insert preferred word)."
I do not think there is any reason to avoid the topic. In the abuse class I took, they highly recommend teaching children about them so that they are comfortable with their parts and not embarrassed about them. They also recommend calling them penis and vagina.

No need to go into detail, just say yup you are right and move on.
TwinKristi 02:22 PM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I would say something like "you are right. Girls and boys are different. boys have (insert preferred word) and girls have (insert preferred word)."
I do not think there is any reason to avoid the topic. In the abuse class I took, they highly recommend teaching children about them so that they are comfortable with their parts and not embarrassed about them. They also recommend calling them penis and vagina.

No need to go into detail, just say yup you are right and move on.

coolconfidentme 02:34 PM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:

I teach the value of privacy at around 12-18months so we never watch people potty or get diapered here.
Same here.
DCG2 will call out, "Privacy please!" When I go to change her.
Denise 06:21 PM 04-08-2014
We always just called private areas ... "privates". In this case I'd say that boys have different privates than girls. Unless you know which "preferred" words the parents wish to use I'd just keep it safe at "private area" or "privates". This way you can easily transition into the privacy policies later on. My nieces and nephew (under 10) still call their genitals their "privacies". This is the term their mother prefers. LOL
melilley 01:37 PM 04-09-2014
I have a dcb who always says "so and so has a penis or so and so has a v"!
I don't see anything wrong with it either.
Reply Up