Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviewing...what do you look for? How do you know?
KiddieCahoots 07:15 AM 07-10-2015
My personality type; easy going, always laughing or finding the humor in situations, trusting, optimistic, go out of my way to avoid confrontation (due to lack of self esteem), a loner, my own worse critic.

These do not seem to add up to a good business owner, because these traits have been clouding my decision to choosing the right client.

I need to work on interviewing the client for my own needs as much as they are for theirs.

I'm finding a lot of people do not tell the truth, or leave out essential information that would have an impact on my decision to accept them as clients. I have learned to listen for the "wellll...." before they answer my question, to be an indicator that the truth is not exactly what I'm hearing. And the dcp changing the subject before completely answering the question.

What other indicators do you look for or ask to get the whole picture about a potential client and whether they are the right fit or not?
Unregistered 09:09 AM 07-10-2015
I do a printer view questionnaire like BlackCat. Questions that require explanation, descriptions. Helps 'read' them better.
For instance:
Describe your bedtime routine, are you more laid back family or spontaneous, how do you handle punishments at home and in public.
childcaremom 09:28 AM 07-10-2015
I am much like you. I am getting much better at reading people and looking for clues.

I do like pp. I ask a lot of questions that require discussion.

For younger children, I am concerned mostly with naps and routines. Describe your napping routine? What does mealtime look like in your house? I look

For older children, I like to keep the parents and child here longer so that I can view how they parent a little more in depth. Do they ask child to help clean up? Does child act up and how do parents react? I will ask about discipline, what are their methods? What is effective for their child? Describe your rest/nap period at your house? What does bedtime look like?

I am mostly looking for parents that parent the way I do. So while I am clear on my policies, etc, I also emphasize how I handle these areas (naps, meals, discipline). I've had the best luck with parents who see eye to eye in these areas.

I also ask what they are looking for in a childcare setting, what are their main concerns, etc.

Not fool proof but it has made things a little better.
Blackcat31 09:35 AM 07-10-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
My personality type; easy going, always laughing or finding the humor in situations, trusting, optimistic, go out of my way to avoid confrontation (due to lack of self esteem), a loner, my own worse critic.

These do not seem to add up to a good business owner, because these traits have been clouding my decision to choosing the right client.

I need to work on interviewing the client for my own needs as much as they are for theirs.

I'm finding a lot of people do not tell the truth, or leave out essential information that would have an impact on my decision to accept them as clients. I have learned to listen for the "wellll...." before they answer my question, to be an indicator that the truth is not exactly what I'm hearing. And the dcp changing the subject before completely answering the question.

What other indicators do you look for or ask to get the whole picture about a potential client and whether they are the right fit or not?
None of those are negative or bad traits to have and as a matter of fact all of them (but one) describe me too! I am always easy going, always find the humor in everything and trusting of everyone and optimistic about everything. The only thing you mention that doesn't fit me is I don't go out of my way to avoid conflict....I don't look for it but I won't find ways to avoid it because I choose to view it as NOT PERSONAL.

99.9% of child care situations that are labeled as conflict are situations that can easily be solved by discussing and focusing only on the facts. Emotion has no place in business operations. Yes, we have emotions, use our emotions and feel about everything but that does not automatically mean those feelings and emotions should become actions. BIG difference.

Sorry....I got a bit off topic...
....so anyways, I ask open ended questions only so that parents have to elaborate and can't really lie about things. Well, they could... but it would be easily detectable within the trial period. If you are interested I can PM you my interview check list.
KiddieCahoots 09:58 AM 07-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
None of those are negative or bad traits to have and as a matter of fact all of them (but one) describe me too! I am always easy going, always find the humor in everything and trusting of everyone and optimistic about everything. The only thing you mention that doesn't fit me is I don't go out of my way to avoid conflict....I don't look for it but I won't find ways to avoid it because I choose to view it as NOT PERSONAL.

99.9% of child care situations that are labeled as conflict are situations that can easily be solved by discussing and focusing only on the facts. Emotion has no place in business operations. Yes, we have emotions, use our emotions and feel about everything but that does not automatically mean those feelings and emotions should become actions. BIG difference.

Sorry....I got a bit off topic...
....so anyways, I ask open ended questions only so that parents have to elaborate and can't really lie about things. Well, they could... but it would be easily detectable within the trial period. If you are interested I can PM you my interview check list.
Yes please, I would love if you could show me this!
This is another area that I falter in. I have a way of filling in the awkward gaps of conversation by talking myself. If I'm asking the right questions, that have parents elaborate, this would be so helpful, Thank You!
NoMoreJuice! 10:30 AM 07-10-2015
Blackcat, would you pretty please message me your checklist also? The longer I've been in this business, the more I have been actually interviewing the parents, not just trying to sell my program to them. I just rejected my first family, and I want to do better weeding through potential clients. Many thanks!
Blackcat31 11:11 AM 07-10-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Yes please, I would love if you could show me this!
This is another area that I falter in. I have a way of filling in the awkward gaps of conversation by talking myself. If I'm asking the right questions, that have parents elaborate, this would be so helpful, Thank You!
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Blackcat, would you pretty please message me your checklist also? The longer I've been in this business, the more I have been actually interviewing the parents, not just trying to sell my program to them. I just rejected my first family, and I want to do better weeding through potential clients. Many thanks!
Sent!

Let me know if you have any questions.
mim 12:15 PM 07-10-2015
Blackcat would you mind sending me your checklist as well please. I am just realizing I need to be conducting my own interview just as the dcp is. I have yet to begin that part but I've decided that in my next interview I will also be doing the interviewing.
I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Reply Up