Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hi everyone!
Unregistered 07:36 AM 11-13-2008
I'm new here, so hello!!

I have a 14 month old son, a 7 year old daughter in 2nd grade, and another friend's 5 year old who I watch every day after she gets out of school for two hours, and have also just started watching my best friend's 12 month old boy. I have a question for the more experienced care providers here. The poor little guy cries ALL DAY. I have been watching him for about three weeks now, four days a week, for about 10 hours a day. I really thought that he'd be better adjusted to being away from his mom by now. He starts crying as soon as she walks out of the door, and cries or whines almost continually until she comes to pick him up in the evenings, unless I am holding him. I love this little guy like he's my own, but I can't hold him all day! I would really really appreciate any advice anyone can give me on how to handle this. I know that it's normal at this age to have some separation anxiety when mom or dad leaves, but this is really starting to worry me. He doesn't seem to enjoy playing, or watching Noggin, or even eating! As I type this, he is rolling around on the floor crying, (really it's like a quiet moaning/whining with no tears, with intermittent real-crying jags ) and has been at it since 7am. I have tried everything I can think of. Holding him, distracting him with toys, cartoons, juice, animal crackers, books, music. Nothing seems to work. I am literally at my wits end, and have started thinking that I might have to tell my friend that I can't watch him anymore, as I have seen a change in my own son's happiness as a result of this other baby's constant crying. What do I do?? Please help! ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
TTOTS 12:58 PM 11-14-2008
I have found in the past that watching a friend or family members child is never a good thing to start with. On that note, try talking to the mom about holding less at home. If the mother starts putting the child down and walking away instead holding all the time this will break that habit and make a happier baby. If that doesn't work for you, then try this. Put the baby in a play yard or crib with in your site and "confine" him. Make sure he is not in need of a change first and give him some toys. Leave him there for a bit and let him cry or whine it out. Eventually he will subside and become a better baby. I have been through this several time and I find that patience is a virtue in this matter. Good Luck!
lilbiddapopcorn 03:58 PM 11-16-2008
I had an infant like this. Eventually I did exactly what the above post says - I had to put her in a playpen with everything she needed, I made sure she was fed, dry and the playpen was clean with a few toys for her, and I let her cry it out. I had to do this everyday for at least a week before she finally gave up and realized I can't hold her all day long. She was much happier after that and stopped fussing all day. Once we got through that week, it helped her AND me because I was losing my mind thinking I was the worst provider ever.
Reply Up