Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What is the best way...
nikia 09:36 AM 03-02-2011
to reduce the number of kids in my care?

Its a good thing I havent given any letters out because I keep changing my mind.

I was first going to just close down, but decided not to do that for many reasons. Then I was going to just change my hours for the reason of me taking a night class and I need to be out of my house at 5. Changing my hours will eliminate some people, but if they decide to make the hours work then Im not reducing my numbers, which I think I need to do for everyone.

I never intended to be all the way full but parents told friends, I felt like I shouldnt turn them away and now I am full. Its a lot with school, family and 12 hour days.

So what I would like to do is only keep a few of my families, the ones I have had the longest. What is the best way to do this?? How do I word a letter? For those of you that have done this have you had people argue with you over it?? I am very nervous about doing it this way, but I think its the best and I am not going to change my mind again HELP ME PLEASE, maybe someone can drive here and be my backbone
dEHmom 09:58 AM 03-02-2011
raise the rates. lol.
lil angels 10:12 AM 03-02-2011
I have a friend that her daycare lady gave her a note stating that she is only taking full time kids and anyone that is paying part time has to go or pay full time rates. Not sure if you have any part time kids but that is a thought then you prob could get them to leave on their own that way. Or it could back fire I guess!!!!!
nikia 10:15 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I have a friend that her daycare lady gave her a note stating that she is only taking full time kids and anyone that is paying part time has to go or pay full time rates. Not sure if you have any part time kids but that is a thought then you prob could get them to leave on their own that way. Or it could back fire I guess!!!!!
I could do that, but I really do want less kids so I dont want to give them an option as mean as it sounds. I want to do as kind as possible though kwim?
nannyde 10:23 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by dehmom:
raise the rates. Lol.
yes yes yes yes yes
Live and Learn 10:30 AM 03-02-2011
1) First, shorten your hours.

2) Then, raise your rates to full- time for part- timers ...and raise the full-time rate higher too.

3) Then, if you don't already, make sure you get paid even if the child isn't in attendance when you are open.

See where that gets you.....

Repeat #1 and #2 as needed.
daycare 10:34 AM 03-02-2011
I had to do the same thing, as you saw in the letter I gave you PM..

i cut my hours and raised the rates by $30.00 a child. At first no one left, but then one of the familys that was affected by the times tried to get other family members to help out to get the kids to the DC with the new schedule. that lasted about two weeks.

there were so many different people participating in trying to get these kids to DC with the new hours that it was a huge disaster. No one knew who was picking up, family or friends would pick up unannounced during nap times. notes would go home requesting more diapers and etc but nothing would come back... I could not take it so I said, sorry this is not working out..

I would do both change hours and raise rates.. and if they dont leave right away, I am sure they will in a hort period of time for their own reasons or yours.
dEHmom 11:51 AM 03-02-2011
i still say raise the rates. have a discussion with the families you DO want to keep, and let them know that you are trying to downsize. You would love to keep them, and this is their rate increase if they would like to continue (or maybe not raise their rates, and just raise everyone elses?)
MyAngels 01:20 PM 03-02-2011
How about if you just basically tell them what you've said here - you need to downsize because you're furthering your education and will need to close earlier and lighten your workload, and you will be using the Last-in-first-out rationale for who stays and who goes (in a nicer, more professional way, of course)
nikia 04:14 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
How about if you just basically tell them what you've said here - you need to downsize because you're furthering your education and will need to close earlier and lighten your workload, and you will be using the Last-in-first-out rationale for who stays and who goes (in a nicer, more professional way, of course)
Thi is what I was thinking I have a letter changing my hours for the families who have been here the longest and I would like to keep. The letter terming the other families I'm having a hard time with. I think its to personal because I feel bad basically I feel like I'm saying I like this child better kwim? I'm worried about them arguing with me and so on which is why I keep putting this off. I was thinking something plain and to the point like I'm furthering my education and will be reducing the number of children in care. This letter serves as 2 week notice last day of care will be ........ But then I feel something like that is mean???? Ugh
Cat Herder 04:22 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
That is what I was thinking, too.

The truth shall set you free..... Literally in this case.

I would also ask for volunteers, first then go with "last hired/first fired" like half of the corporations in the last few years.
MyAngels 04:33 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
Thi is what I was thinking I have a letter changing my hours for the families who have been here the longest and I would like to keep. The letter terming the other families I'm having a hard time with. I think its to personal because I feel bad basically I feel like I'm saying I like this child better kwim? I'm worried about them arguing with me and so on which is why I keep putting this off. I was thinking something plain and to the point like I'm furthering my education and will be reducing the number of children in care. This letter serves as 2 week notice last day of care will be ........ But then I feel something like that is mean???? Ugh
It's not mean, and they won't look at it that way . Maybe something like this:

Dear Jane and John:

As you may know, I plan on going back to school soon to further my education. I'm very excited to "hit the books" again and finish up my degree. Unfortunately, because of the increased workload combined with my family obligations, I am going to have to decrease both the hours that the daycare is open as well as the number of children that I will have in care.

I'm sorry to say that I will no longer be able to care for Johnny, starting on April 1, 2011. I have truly enjoyed getting to know you and your family, and will miss seeing little Johnny's smiling face each day.

I have enclosed contact information for some other providers in the area, as well as the Child Care Resource and Referral Office, which may be able to give you more information as well.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you find a new care situation for Johnny.

I've never written anything like this before, so that's just my stab at it. Let us know how it all shakes out .
Reply Up