Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It Just Rubbed Me Wrong..Vent
NiNi.R. 02:47 PM 11-17-2011
DCG age 4 tends to act like she's 2. DRIVES ME CRAZY!! Anyways, I was discussing her behavior with DCM. She goes on to say that she believes once DCG begins preschool Aug.2012 that her behavior will dramatically change.

Her words were: "School will provide structure, I mean I know you do things with them, but it's not the same."

Now i realize my program isn't the same as a preschool but I do provide organized play, free play, and outdoor play every day. They get to do a craft 3 times a week as well as circle time. Children know what is coming next because we do the same thing at the same time almost everyday. We run on a schedule.

I think it was more annoying to me because this mom was offering up an excuse for her behavior so she didn't have to deal with it, like I'm supposed to say. "Oh! That's why she is acting like a baby?! Okay, that's excusable and I'll deal with it for the next year."

Dream on!
Zoe 02:51 PM 11-17-2011
I know EXACTLY how you feel! I was watching the most terribly behaved 2 year old a while back and a friend of mine kept saying to me "well maybe he needs to be somewhere more structured." And I'm sure she didn't mean it as an insult but I took it to mean that I just let them run around all day no boundaries, no structure. I feel ya!

And you're absolutely right. It's just an excuse for the child's behavior. There's nothing wrong with how you plan your day.
DaycareMama 02:52 PM 11-17-2011
I have had so many parents use that as an excuse for behavior and every time I hear it I get more angry. We also do all the things you mentioned and I am in no way a preschool either but I take it as an insult. We are very structured.... UGH just makes me mad
Blackcat31 02:58 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
DCG age 4 tends to act like she's 2. DRIVES ME CRAZY!! Anyways, I was discussing her behavior with DCM. She goes on to say that she believes once DCG begins preschool Aug.2012 that her behavior will dramatically change.

Her words were: "School will provide structure, I mean I know you do things with them, but it's not the same."

Now i realize my program isn't the same as a preschool but I do provide organized play, free play, and outdoor play every day. They get to do a craft 3 times a week as well as circle time. Children know what is coming next because we do the same thing at the same time almost everyday. We run on a schedule.

I think it was more annoying to me because this mom was offering up an excuse for her behavior so she didn't have to deal with it, like I'm supposed to say. "Oh! That's why she is acting like a baby?! Okay, that's excusable and I'll deal with it for the next year."

Dream on!
Originally Posted by Zoe:
I know EXACTLY how you feel! I was watching the most terribly behaved 2 year old a while back and a friend of mine kept saying to me "well maybe he needs to be somewhere more structured." And I'm sure she didn't mean it as an insult but I took it to mean that I just let them run around all day no boundaries, no structure. I feel ya!

And you're absolutely right. It's just an excuse for the child's behavior. There's nothing wrong with how you plan your day.
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I have had so many parents use that as an excuse for behavior and every time I hear it I get more angry. We also do all the things you mentioned and I am in no way a preschool either but I take it as an insult. We are very structured.... UGH just makes me mad
I think there might be a pattern here....
daycare 03:10 PM 11-17-2011
I have come to learn that parents will never appreciate anything we do, because DAYCARE is not preschool.

One of my best clients shocked me to death.

I spent a ton of time and money going to zoo phonics teaching, conventions, buying supplies and what not.

In less than two months I had every child in my DC able to recognize Lower?capital letters, along with sound. All of them were 2-2.5 years old.

SO moving forward, one of the little girls showed major interest in wanting to read. I thought ok it cant hurt. With no expectations, I was able to teach this 2.5 yr old how to read in less than 4 months from the start. Now she was not picking up books reading them, but if you gave her word cards, she could sound out the letters and form the words.

SOrry, getting off track. Anyhow, I am super excited the first time she reads more than 5 different words. Mom comes to pick up and I can't wait to show her. We get out a easy reader book with words that rhyme, cat, hat, fat, and etc. I sit with the girl and mom and DCG reads the first page perfectly, by sounding out all of the letters.

The mom replies, I am so glad I downloaded that iphone app for her that teaches reading. I can't wait to tell her dad that I was right.

I wanted to fall on the floor. Um yeah ok I am sure I had nothing to do with it at all.....

After that, I realized that I am going to just do what I am going to do and make sure that I do it without expectations of pleasing anyone but the child and me...........
Tags:parents - are clueless, parents - don't appreciate
Reply Up