Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking More Kids And Hiring A Helper?
erica'schildcare 11:28 AM 12-13-2012
K I have a question for seasoned pro's Right now I am licensed for 8 kids in Illinois but have a teacher qualified friend out of work. If I read right then with a helper I could have 12 kids and up to 16 before and after school. I've thought about moving my operations to my basement which has 2 exits but stairs on both... is that legal? Also I was wondering if anyone has went from having 8 children to 12 and if it would be worthwhile at all? I was thinking we could split the money from the parents evenly and use the food program check for all supplies. Any input or advice would be lovely!
daycare 11:36 AM 12-13-2012
it all depends on your state and what the rules are...

I am in CA and have a large license and a helper.

It is almost not worth it for me, as I have to purchase a 1 million dollar workers comp policy to even have only 1 employee. With that cost, the cost of the employee, the amount of extra kids I have to take in, it is almost not worth it for me.

But I still do it anyways. I love having a helper, it keeps me sane and happy.

I have someone to talk to, help me think about things, and most of all someone who understands my daily frustrations.....

I had to double my capacity to make a small profit after all is said and done being paid, but I love it....

I would look into what your state requires you to have in order to hire someone....
Fruitloops1 11:44 AM 12-13-2012
I know for IL to get 16 you have to apply to become a group home. They require 16 hours of college credits in ECE. My DCFS rep told me recently that she wasn't accepting any group home applications because their office is so short staffed. Just call your DCFS rep and ask her.
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 12-13-2012
Originally Posted by erica'schildcare:
K I have a question for seasoned pro's Right now I am licensed for 8 kids in Illinois but have a teacher qualified friend out of work. If I read right then with a helper I could have 12 kids and up to 16 before and after school. I've thought about moving my operations to my basement which has 2 exits but stairs on both... is that legal? Also I was wondering if anyone has went from having 8 children to 12 and if it would be worthwhile at all? I was thinking we could split the money from the parents evenly and use the food program check for all supplies. Any input or advice would be lovely!
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you are free to post without moderation
Fruitloops1 11:49 AM 12-13-2012
I wouldnt split the income down the middle. More kids in your home and ultimately you are responsible for them. If one of those kids breaks a toy or they break something, will she help cover the cost of that item? Personally you are better off paying a salary or hourly. I pay my assistant hourly. In the beginning establish boundaries, I hired my friend. It works great but working with friends is difficult.
allsmiles 12:29 PM 12-13-2012
i have a helper now and she gets 1/3.. i get the other 2/3 as the prior poster stated because its my house, i pay for meals, lights, water etc.
In TX you have to apply to be a Licensed home and are allowed to keep more than 6, up to 12.. you have to have 3 credits of business and 6 credits of child care development and both areas can be continuing education training..
daycare 12:34 PM 12-13-2012
I do not split down the middle. I pay for everything that comes in and out of this business all the way down to the TP we wipe with, so I pay my helper as an employee.

The only time that I will ever pay my assist more is if they should ever have to open for me when I am not here, which I doubt will ever happen.

LIKE PP said, since you are the one who has to supply everything, it may make most sense to pay your asst hourly or salary.
Fruitloops1 12:41 PM 12-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
it all depends on your state and what the rules are...

I am in CA and have a large license and a helper.

It is almost not worth it for me, as I have to purchase a 1 million dollar workers comp policy to even have only 1 employee. With that cost, the cost of the employee, the amount of extra kids I have to take in, it is almost not worth it for me.

But I still do it anyways. I love having a helper, it keeps me sane and happy.

I have someone to talk to, help me think about things, and most of all someone who understands my daily frustrations.....

I had to double my capacity to make a small profit after all is said and done being paid, but I love it....

I would look into what your state requires you to have in order to hire someone....
I agree! My assistant costs quite a bit but I am thankful to have her around. My sanity is worth it!
kitykids3 01:05 PM 12-13-2012
I hired a helper about 7 months ago so I could take on more little ones as my other ones have been transitioning to school.
No way would I ever split anything with an assistant. It is my house and I am the one responsible for everything. I pay her as an employee.
I like having an assistant. It is easier and like pp said, I have some adult interaction during the day. Plus someone I get to share some of the ups and downs with.
It is more paperwork and employment taxes and such, but I would rather go that route than co-owning.
Unregistered 06:09 PM 12-13-2012
Originally Posted by erica'schildcare:
I wish we could do that in California. We can only have a max of 12 under 6 with a max of 14 if at least two are school aged. I'm sure those 2 kids would help it be more worth it financhally since any extra money you do get will go to paying an assistant and you would need to be filled to the max to break even if you have a full time assistant- I Know a lady who has three daily assistants- usually 2 assistants at a time! All but one is part time, her daughter is full time; but all making at least $12/hr! The minimum wage in the state is $8/hr, but some places (like SF) the minimum wage is $10/hr! But I do Agree that you should have a certian amount of CD/ECE credits to get a large family liscense I wish they had that here maybe their wouldn't be so much people who just do this just because they have free time and a nice house and charge pennies on the $1 of what other FCCP's charge
crazydaycarelady 07:17 AM 12-14-2012
I also would pay her hourly. If you split the money from the parents evenly (even adding 4 more kids) wouldn't you be taking a pay cut? It's your house, your reputation, your expenses, your daycare, she should be an employee.

I went from family to group about 1 1/2 years ago. I went from 6 kids to 12. I like having my assistant but the days are crazier with so many kids and I am more worn out than I was before. I do make more moeny but not a ton.
erica'schildcare 10:50 AM 12-14-2012
Ok I guess I was thinking it should be even because she has the degree and is teacher qualified in the State of Illinois and I don't have a degree for teaching. Right now I work from 5:30 AM to sometimes 6:30 PM. I'm already tired with having the 8 kids. She is a friend, and I have been taking care of her grandson for 3 years. I worked as her teacher assistant several years ago. I need help being more organized and I was hoping to take my home daycare to the next level. I would like to turn my daycare into sortof like an informal Montessori style preschool and move from upstairs in my living area to downstairs in my basement. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to pay her anything close to what she got as a teacher and so eventually she will more than likely get a different teaching job but this could maybe help both of us???
Tags:helper, ratio increase
Reply Up