Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shutting down daycare - how much notice/details do you give?
earlystart 08:02 PM 04-28-2015
I'm 99% certain I'm going to be closing my daycare in the Fall, first week of September or whenever the public pre-k starts that a couple of my daycare kids will be going to.

I'm going to be taking 2-3 graphic design classes that Fall semester and then I'll have earned my vocational certificate in graphic design. I have the option of staying open and having my mom watch the kids while I'm at school, but I feel like that is unfair to the kids and parents to have a "sub" for 2-3 days a week (for 1/2 the day on those days). So I will probably just close the daycare and get some other part time job somewhere while I take classes. Soo...

When do you think I should notify the parents? Should I wait until I register for the classes (1st week of July)? 30 day Notice? Right now?

I worry that the spots for Fall will fill up at other daycares/preschools, so I morally feel like I should tell them now. I don't THINK anyone would leave early, but you never know. But I also worry that if I tell them early, they will think that my heart is not in it anymore and will pull their kid out early.

Also, wondering if I should give a reason WHY I'm closing. Should I mention my schooling/schedule conflicts? Should I say my lease isn't getting renewed? Should I give no reason and just state the daycare is closing? I know they would probably ask questions in person anyway (I would be sending an email initially...is that even a good idea? Should I print out a letter...tell them each in person?)

Any advice is welcome. Or if you have stories about your experiences shutting down past daycares you've run, things you've learned, things you would do differently. Thanks everyone!
jenboo 08:28 PM 04-28-2015
I gave my families 6 weeks notice. They were totally blindsided do I wanted to give them plenty of notice. I explained that we were moving out of state and why. I'm a very open person and I think my families really appreciated it.
All my families stayed until the last day!
childcaremom 03:53 AM 04-29-2015
My contract at the time said 3 weeks notice, I gave 4 or 5, I can't remember. All my families were suprised but they all stayed until the end.

I wrote a note telling them that due to conflicts between daycare and family, I needed to close. Something very generic. I spoke to each family, and explained that because my kids were switching schools I couldn't transport them with daycare kids here so needed to shut down. Parents were surprised but understanding. I closed in June (told them beginning of May) so that I had the summer with my kids.

I have since worked out the transportation issues and reopened
sally 04:06 AM 04-29-2015
I'm closing when our school gets out in May. My contract says 2 weeks but I gave them 4 weeks. They are not happy at all I'm closing. I am burnt out and will have conflicts with my own kids schedules when school starts next year but I only told them that my family has different needs and I need to go in a different direction. I could have stayed open through summer but I feel that it gives me more time to find a part time job I will like.
Reply Up