Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>COVID19: If You're Staying Open, What are You Doing to Keep You & Your Group Healthy?
Faith is a gift too 09:12 AM 03-14-2020
The schools & school daycares are closed for 2 weeks here instead of usual 1 for spring break. Child care providers outside of the schools have received instruction from licensing encouraging us to stay open, which I plan on doing, unless we have a confirmed case of Coronavirus, then we close, disinfect, contact the health department, etc....

This has me thinking about social distancing in a childcare setting what that might look like? I myself am trying to keep my distance (although 6 feet is not possible) and still assist the children with what they need. Thankfully I do not have any that are in diapers right now.
At the same time I don't think that it's a reasonable expectation for any child to practice social distancing (I would equate it to torture).

We are washing our hands like usual since we follow standard precautions.

I have a kids Henry the Hand germ video & germ book that we read and talk washing hands about not touching our faces (but they still do-another unreasonable expectation). I've been reviewing these about 1x week since this circus started.

I encourage them to cover their sneezes with her elbows and turn away from their friends if they have a sneeze.

I've removed the cloth/porous toys from the play area and am only keeping toys that can easily be disinfected 2-3x a week. I am cleaning often touched hard surfaces twice as offen.

Besides all this I feel like there is not much else to do and I especially don't want to scare them. I imagine they are concerned since the grown ups are acting strange.

I'm just curious to know what steps everyone else is taking that might be helpful for our kiddos?
Unregistered 10:02 AM 03-14-2020
I only have one family with a 3 year old and a small baby and possibly the school aged kids of my old family may return if they close school. I will be working as usual unless someone shows symptoms. I plan to wash hands a lot, sanitizer door knobs, encourage use of tissues and not sneezing on people, etc. and just go about business as usual since there won't be a lot of people in and out here.
Valerie928 10:39 AM 03-14-2020
Zero, I mean ZERO illnesses aloud in my home. Not even the common runny nose, nada. My parents get it.
Faith is a gift too 11:23 AM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
Zero, I mean ZERO illnesses aloud in my home. Not even the common runny nose, nada. My parents get it.

My illness policies are ok w runny nose for 2 days if there's no fever.
Is this something new in addition to your existing policies, did you send a letter?

Our responsible governor who wouldn't want to cause any panic....said in his recent press conference that most of us we'll probably get it at some point. (then he also laid down under a bus why he told us we would all get it, jk)
Then he rationally explained
how we need to slow the process down so we don't overwhelm our health system. Hmmmm?, I wonder what the takaway was for the folks who are hoarding toilet paper was.

I've also decided to do drop offs outside and I will be signing the kids in and out. The sign in sheets seem like a good hotspot. I'm expecting some of us in our group or extended
family might get it. I just don't want us to all get it at the same time.
BumbleBee 12:53 PM 03-14-2020
We've slightly increased hand washing and sanitizing. I say slightly because we already wash hands multiple times a day and sanitize regularly.

My illness policy is, I feel, solid. From what I understand of this virus my illness policy covers the symptoms already. I have kept it the same but sent a reminder copy of it to all parents.

We don't go to group activities anyways so no change there.

Reminders to cover coughs, use tissues, etc. As we do regularly.

Pulled out books about germs again and we've read those. They will be on the bookshelf.
Jupadia 01:36 PM 03-14-2020
Schools are closed, as well as daycare centers located in schools or city run buildings in addition any city run centers have been closed.

This leaves private centers and home daycares still open.

I plan to stay open till I'm either ordered closed or one of us family members gets sick. I've only got two kids comming right now,, and will have a sibbling which aged out comming some days for the next 3 weeks cause there no school or March break camps. I will sign up anyone wanting a permanent spot, but not sure if I'll do any additional drop ins.

I'm cleaning toys a bit more during the week, taken out soft toys, and costumes / masks. As well I'm sending home at first sign of any sickness.
PB&J 03:18 PM 03-14-2020
https://www.cdc.gov/Coronavirus/2019...checklist.html

We are mostly following this, considering also that we have only 22 kids (not 120+ like centers) and that we have no documented cases in our county. We will get more strict as the situation worsens. Otherwise we are being vigilant about our sickness policy, hand washing (even upon arrival for kids), and sanitizing all surfaces constantly.
Valerie928 03:56 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Faith is a gift too:

My illness policies are ok w runny nose for 2 days if there's no fever.
Is this something new in addition to your existing policies, did you send a letter?

Our responsible governor who wouldn't want to cause any panic....said in his recent press conference that most of us we'll probably get it at some point. (then he also laid down under a bus why he told us we would all get it, jk)
Then he rationally explained
how we need to slow the process down so we don't overwhelm our health system. Hmmmm?, I wonder what the takaway was for the folks who are hoarding toilet paper was.

I've also decided to do drop offs outside and I will be signing the kids in and out. The sign in sheets seem like a good hotspot. I'm expecting some of us in our group or extended
family might get it. I just don't want us to all get it at the same time.
This is new. I usually don't exclude for a clear runny nose or little cold. But I changed that the other day. Talked to each of my daycare families. They totally understand.
Blackcat31 04:15 PM 03-14-2020
This is new. I usually don't exclude for a clear runny nose or little cold. But I changed that the other day. Talked to each of my daycare families. They totally understand.
I did the same. Everyone agreed. One mom was mad
I told her I’d rather tick one mom off than risk everyone’s health.
She’s still mad
I’m not really caring
dolores 04:22 PM 03-14-2020
Our licensing agency recommended we put this on our front door:
https://ocfs.ny.gov/main/childcare/l...lity-signs.pdf
Sunshine69 04:44 PM 03-14-2020
I’ve got a parent having a fit over his kids being excluded for their chronic cough. He wanted to know who to call. I gave him the DOH # and wished him good luck.

Now that school is closed he’s on FB complaining about the increased daycare costs. Makes it that much easier to term, when the time comes, guilt free. Plus he’s already advertising what a pleasant client he is for other providers 😉
Faith is a gift too 04:55 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
She’s still mad
I’m not really caring

Lol, that's too funny!: "she's still mad"...must need eyes to see. This is not about me me me me, its about we.
Valerie928 04:16 AM 03-15-2020
She’s still mad
I’m not really caring
Parents are worse than kids sometimes!
Ariana 06:59 AM 03-15-2020
I wrote this to my families right before the schools shut down here and I decided to close. Zero tolerance for illness.
Cat Herder 07:09 AM 03-15-2020
I am following my usual illness policy and cleaning routine. I did minimize toys, but I never wanted as many as QRIS required out, anyway. We already learned this lesson, silly to have gone backwards to begin with. I am also prepared to shelter in place with all 6 kids for up to three weeks in a worse case scenario.
twirlerzmom 10:01 AM 03-15-2020
I just posted a message this morning updating families on my new policies. All drop offs and pick ups are at the door, I will bring the kids up and down. Parents are not entering my home. I'm also taking temps at drop off and if it's over 100 the child must go back home. Illness policy states unwell for ANY reason they can't come, and cannot come back until 48 hours after symptoms subside WITHOUT meds. I also added that I may enforce a child to stay home if more than 2 household members are sick. I've deep cleaned and sanitized everything yesterday. Rotated toys in and out. Eliminated some toys to make daily cleaning easier. (Really, who needs 2 totes of legos?? lol) I also had an air purifier filter and UV lamps installed in my furnace. The UV bulbs will kill any bacteria, fungi and virus in my home. I am blessed to have one of my families be in the HVAC field and was awarded the top dealer in the nation this year. They had it installed within 20 mins of me calling and asking to buy a new regular filter. He wanted my house to be as safe as possible.
MomBoss 10:33 AM 03-15-2020
Beginning of my letter..how does it sound?

To help with social distancing as recommended by the governor, i would like to start implementing quick drop off and pick ups. Parents can say their goodbyes at the door/car and ring the bell when ready. I can then take your child and help them with their coats and shoes. Parents arriving to pick up can text me when they are on their way and i can have child dressed and ready to go. This should help avoid the amount of people coming and going in the home.
Unregistered 03:15 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Beginning of my letter..how does it sound?

To help with social distancing as recommended by the governor, i would like to start implementing quick drop off and pick ups. Parents can say their goodbyes at the door/car and ring the bell when ready. I can then take your child and help them with their coats and shoes. Parents arriving to pick up can text me when they are on their way and i can have child dressed and ready to go. This should help avoid the amount of people coming and going in the home.
Here's what I sent out: Use what you like:

Dear Parents, in light of the state of emergency announcements from the Governor and President yesterday, I am expecting that some of us in our group or extended family will have COVID-19 at some point. It seems the virus behaves different for different age groups and while most of us will have mild symptoms, the key in our efforts is: to make sure we do not all get it at the same time and risk overwhelming our health care system.

I want to make you aware of some additional steps I am taking to prevent the spread of COVID-19 with our connected group. I know this is an unprecedented situation for all of us and a very annoying interruption to our normal lives. I want to assure you I am following guidance from the State and CDC in taking these additional steps below along with additional standard precautions during this time. I hope they help us all weather this pandemic with better outcomes:

Every family is unique and I respect your decisions and discretion in the choices you are making for you families at this time, but for the health of our whole group and extended families I want to encourage you all to practice social distancing, hygiene precautions, and limit outings to essential ones only.
Next week I will implement drop off's / pick up's at the front porch and I will be signing children in and out for parents. I feel this will interrupt / slow down transmission if any of us do happen to get COVID-19.

It's not developmentally appropriate or even possible to ask children to practice social distancing (staying 6 feet apart) OR to expect them to adhere to the hygiene practices adults are using (not touching your face). Because of this I need to temporarily change our health policies related to cough/cold: For the next few months I will exclude children from care who have any signs of cough and/or fever over 99.5.

Additionally, for the health of the whole group I am asking parents to closely monitor their children and keep them home if they have any signs of cough with or without fever. Thankfully there have only been a few pediatric cases of COVID-19 but the ones reported quickly progress from morning cough to afternoon fevers.

These policies will be in effect for the next few months or until it's deemed the peak of this virus activity has passed.

I know you may have questions about how tuition will will work in the case I need to close for a 14 day quarantine.....(address that here)

Again, I want to stress these steps are necessary to slow down transmission, so if we do get COVID-19, we do not all get sick at the same time and risk overwhelming our health care system. I do not believe we need to be fearful but instead understand these steps are necessary to protect our health care system for those who are vulnerable to severe symptoms. I think most of us at this point know of extended family or friends with suspected cases who are recovering fine at home. I am hoping there will be a vaccine soon but want to make sure we are being responsible right now.

In closing please know I appreciate you all, your understanding, thoughtfulness and vigilance at this time. As always, please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Blackcat31 03:21 PM 03-15-2020
^^ this is basically exactly what I did as well.

I let parents know everything I could upfront and included my plans for tuition requirements as well.

I am hoping to get ahead of the “do we still pay?” questions before they are asked.
Annalee 03:31 PM 03-15-2020

I let parents know everything I could upfront and included my plans for tuition requirements as well.

I am hoping to get ahead of the “do we still pay?” questions before they are asked.
Yes; being proactive helps!
Gemma 10:29 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am also prepared to shelter in place with all 6 kids for up to three weeks in a worse case scenario.
That was my first thought, and all the parents would've been on board, but hubby said "Hell no"!

So I tighten my illness policy, removed toys that are not easily sanitized, brought the disinfecting way up, and only allow parents at the entrance for quick pick up and drop off.

I don't know what else to do.
Gemma 10:35 AM 03-16-2020

Lucky you! I verbally stated,I followed up with written notification that all parents signed....and I still got that question
AmyKidsCo 01:33 PM 03-17-2020

I sent home a long letter last night too. I'm disinfecting more than usual, signing the kids in/out instead of parents doing it, no more toys from home, parents text at pick up so I can get the child ready, quick drop offs, more frequent hand washing and hygiene reminders, etc. And I added that children unwilling to follow good hygiene may be excluded from care because I have one who will go through a container of toys and lick each one, on purpose, after being reminded to keep toys out of his mouth. I get that kids are kids, but I need to think of the others' health too.
Cat Herder 01:48 PM 03-17-2020
I was going to write up a statement outlining everything, but the reality is my clients won't read it and they really could care less. Their hands are full with working from home and homeschooling. They see me as one thing they don't have to do.

As long as I am open they will bring their kids. It would just create more work for me. If they ask a question, I will answer it. Hasn't happened yet other than "are you staying open"?
TomCopeland 02:27 PM 03-17-2020
I'm offering a free webinar on "Dealing with the Financial Side of the Coronavirus" on Monday, March 23rd starting at 8pm Eastern Time.
To register: https://register.gotowebinar.com/reg...15680744315403

This webinar will help you cope with the financial impact of the virus crisis
• Can you get covered by insurance for loss of business income?
• Are you eligible for unemployment benefits if you shut down?
• Can you exclude children if you think they are too sick to attend?
• How to change your contract/policies to cover you when parents temporarily keep their children home
• What can you do financially if you shut down temporarily?

The webinar is sponsored by the National Association for Family Child Care.
Annalee 05:19 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I was going to write up a statement outlining everything, but the reality is my clients won't read it and they really could care less. Their hands are full with working from home and homeschooling. They see me as one thing they don't have to do.

As long as I am open they will bring their kids. It would just create more work for me. If they ask a question, I will answer it. Hasn't happened yet other than "are you staying open"?
so true!

I have, though, passed on every state email I have received....clients know they will have to pay me, so they are really hoping I don't have to close even though they are working at home.
CenterTeacher20 09:58 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
I'm offering a free webinar on "Dealing with the Financial Side of the Coronavirus" on Monday, March 23rd starting at 8pm Eastern Time.
Dang, I guess I'm too late for this one. Not surprised the webinar filled up fast, though!
Gemma 02:18 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by CenterTeacher20:
Dang, I guess I'm too late for this one. Not surprised the webinar filled up fast, though!
me too, I guess!
Maybe there will be threads following this webinar and we can learn from those
Firefly 05:54 AM 03-18-2020
Will it be recorded where we can listen to it later?
Snowmom 06:47 AM 03-18-2020
It's so surreal to see how processes have changed in such a short time!

Like everyone else, I asked IF families are able to stay home with their kids, they do it (I'm open- tuition still due).
I've still had a kid or two randomly this week.

Right now:
I meet them at the door armed with gloves and my thermometer. Temps taken, once over health check done. NO illness symptoms allowed whatsoever. Shoes and coat go in a clear tote at my front door (outside). Child's hands wiped with sanitizer and washed after entering. No adults allowed in at all.
Only one arrival allowed at a time. All others wait at in their car until the other parent leaves.

I do have masks left in my stash that I always used on kids that had anything. They are now being used BY ME.
I have asthma. I'm on corticosteriods for it- so I'm basically doomed when I get it.
delferka 08:48 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Faith is a gift too:
The schools & school daycares are closed for 2 weeks here instead of usual 1 for spring break. Child care providers outside of the schools have received instruction from licensing encouraging us to stay open, which I plan on doing, unless we have a confirmed case of Coronavirus, then we close, disinfect, contact the health department, etc....

This has me thinking about social distancing in a childcare setting what that might look like? I myself am trying to keep my distance (although 6 feet is not possible) and still assist the children with what they need. Thankfully I do not have any that are in diapers right now.
At the same time I don't think that it's a reasonable expectation for any child to practice social distancing (I would equate it to torture).

We are washing our hands like usual since we follow standard precautions.

I have a kids Henry the Hand germ video & germ book that we read and talk washing hands about not touching our faces (but they still do-another unreasonable expectation). I've been reviewing these about 1x week since this circus started.

I encourage them to cover their sneezes with her elbows and turn away from their friends if they have a sneeze.

I've removed the cloth/porous toys from the play area and am only keeping toys that can easily be disinfected 2-3x a week. I am cleaning often touched hard surfaces twice as offen.

Besides all this I feel like there is not much else to do and I especially don't want to scare them. I imagine they are concerned since the grown ups are acting strange.

I'm just curious to know what steps everyone else is taking that might be helpful for our kiddos?
I'm in Mass and open, but most of the parents of my kids are in the school system. They are home and getting paid. I'm not sure what they expect from me. Whether I'll be charging them or not
Meadow 08:27 AM 03-21-2020
I know many of you have a "nothing back and forth" policy already in place, but I have not implemented that in my home. I was wondering if I should be excluding diaper bags, infant carriers, and blankets from home with what is happening right now. Would it be better to have less coming into my home, or should I just be disinfecting what I can?
CeriBear 06:11 AM 03-22-2020
My center is checking each child’s temperature as they come to the door. Anything over 99.5 and they are sent home before entering the building. So far we have not had to turn anyone away.
Staff members are also required to have a temperature check.
In my classroom the kids are having to wash hands a lot more often than usual.
I have also put away toys like stuffed animals and dress up clothes. If a toy is not easy to dunk in sanitizer it’s on “ vacation” for a while. Even our classroom buddy Sam the Sloth has been put away.
It’s surprising that a few kids know exactly why I am being a lot more strict about cleanliness and germs. One child asked me why I was making him go wash his hands after he touched his cheek and another child said “you don’t want to get Coronavirus. You need to get the germs off.”
I’m also discouraging the children from hugging each other or climbing on me and my assistant.
I’m setting cots further apart and having kids lie head to feet instead of head to head.
Weather permitting I try to spend a lot of time outside. It’s even nice to have circle time outside where the kids have more room to spread out as well as breathe fresh air.
injaymama 09:22 AM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:

This webinar will help you cope with the financial impact of the virus crisis
• Can you get covered by insurance for loss of business income?
• Are you eligible for unemployment benefits if you shut down?
• Can you exclude children if you think they are too sick to attend?
• How to change your contract/policies to cover you when parents temporarily keep their children home
• What can you do financially if you shut down temporarily?

The webinar is sponsored by the National Association for Family Child Care.
Will this be recorded and available since the webinar is full?
Tags:coronavirus, covid-19 - sample letter, illness policy, sickness policy
Reply Up