Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Little Guy And Road Rash
Unregistered 07:03 AM 09-12-2017
This is my new little guy who started with me still being nursed and sleeping with mom and needing one on one attention every minute of daycare otherwise would be crying.

Well I finally got him to sleep in a pack and play only he is now screaming for the first 5 minutes and then he sits facing the mesh side of the pack and play and rubs his head on the mesh until he falls asleep in a sitting position. He is getting the worst looking road rash on his forhead because of this. He came again on Monday with it almost cleared up ( because he is sleeping with mom) and after nap on Monday it is back again!!!! Looks terrible. I told mom what it was and she gets the big sad doe eyes and is really upset for him.

I just want to shake her and tell her she cAused this whole scenario but as you know we all have to be Mary freaking Poppins all the time so we can't tell them the truth about how they are screwing up their kids. Can you tell I am stressed?

Other than duct taping him to the middle of the pack and play mattress (just kidding) I don't know how to keep him from rubbing his head. All four side are mesh!!!
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is my new little guy who started with me still being nursed and sleeping with mom and needing one on one attention every minute of daycare otherwise would be crying.

Well I finally got him to sleep in a pack and play only he is now screaming for the first 5 minutes and then he sits facing the mesh side of the pack and play and rubs his head on the mesh until he falls asleep in a sitting position. He is getting the worst looking road rash on his forhead because of this. He came again on Monday with it almost cleared up ( because he is sleeping with mom) and after nap on Monday it is back again!!!! Looks terrible. I told mom what it was and she gets the big sad doe eyes and is really upset for him.

I just want to shake her and tell her she cAused this whole scenario but as you know we all have to be Mary freaking Poppins all the time so we can't tell them the truth about how they are screwing up their kids. Can you tell I am stressed?

Other than duct taping him to the middle of the pack and play mattress (just kidding) I don't know how to keep him from rubbing his head. All four side are mesh!!!
I'd start calling for pick up after he cries for X amount of minutes.

His routine at home is 100% different than your expectations in care. Poor little dude is injuring himself because you are not doing what he has been trained to do.

Instead of putting yourself and him in this position (which has the potential of being bad) I'd give the issue back to the person that created it. MOM.

"Sorry DCM but I can not allow Billy to cause injury to himself because he has not been provided the tools he needs to thrive in group care.

Since you have created a routine at home that I cannot replicate in care I have no other option other than calling for pick up when I have exhausted all efforts to get Billy to sleep. I will NOT allow him to continue to cause injury to himself as a result of this.

Please plan accordingly should he be required to be picked up daily."

NO way would I allow myself to be put in that position.
I am sorry you are dealing with this.
amberrose3dg 08:55 AM 09-12-2017
Oh man that is rough. I do not understand why parents that use daycare think kids like this will be ok for 8+ hours a day. My two most difficult babies are babies that are nursed. I suspect co-sleeping and all night nursing(so mom can sleep). They have improved otherwise I would be calling for pick up or terminating care. How old is he?
rosieteddy 11:57 AM 09-12-2017
You could sew a couple of towels over sides of mesh.That way he won't injure himself.Even a old sheet basted over the mesh would work.I repaired a ripped side once with a flat sheet .I used big ,multiple stiches worked great.Mom probally won't not sleep with him.You can bet eventually she will be upset about the rash.Another idea for now would be to coat his head with Vaseline.Messy but would do the job.
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
You could sew a couple of towels over sides of mesh.That way he won't injure himself.Even a old sheet basted over the mesh would work.I repaired a ripped side once with a flat sheet .I used big ,multiple stiches worked great.Mom probally won't not sleep with him.You can bet eventually she will be upset about the rash.Another idea for now would be to coat his head with Vaseline.Messy but would do the job.
Check with licensing first.... in my state if you are caught with blankets even hanging on the edge of a PNP (even when not in use) you could be fined for unsafe sleep practices. Fines here range from $200 to $1000 depending.
rosieteddy 01:17 PM 09-12-2017
I think if the material is sewn on it would become part of the pack and play.I might be wrong but if child can not get material off then it would be safe.Thats why I did not suggest double sided Velcro,for fear child would just rip it off.
Blackcat31 01:37 PM 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I think if the material is sewn on it would become part of the pack and play.I might be wrong but if child can not get material off then it would be safe.Thats why I did not suggest double sided Velcro,for fear child would just rip it off.
We can't have PNP's here with any repairs or alterations.

New and in same condition as purchased.
My state is super strict on this topic.

Honestly, I'd just opt for a mini-crib or regular crib instead of using a PNP.
Unregistered 02:31 PM 09-12-2017
Can't use a proper crib because mom says he bangs his head against the side until he bruises. That is why he is sleeping with them. UGGGGG
sharlan 03:04 PM 09-12-2017
I think this child may be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I'm picturing him rubbing his forehead until he makes sores that leave scars.

Can you transition him to a mat?
hwichlaz 03:07 PM 09-12-2017
How old is he? Time for a cot or a mat. Sit next to him patting his back or rump until he falls asleep.
rosieteddy 05:04 PM 09-12-2017
I would sit next to him and rub his back or verbally shush him until he fell asleep.I would have the parents sign off on Vaseline and coat his head where he has been rubbing.My state was not that specific about new and in original condition for pack and plays.We could only have 3 under 2 and only 6 children. I was able to sit in napping room crocheting or eating my lunch while everyone fell asleep.
HappyEverAfter 06:21 PM 09-12-2017
What if you applied a barrier cream or ointment to his face so that the friction wouldn't cause a rash? Like what marathon runners use on their thighs and upper arms.
Blackcat31 09:15 AM 09-13-2017
Has the parent discussed this behavior with the child's pediatrician?

Depending on the whole child, this behavior could indicate a neurological issue or developmental delay....

I know it is and can be common but when it interferes with sounds sleep on a daily basis it should be discussed with the child's pediatrician.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...c-body-rocking
Tags:road rash
Reply Up