Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Billing
Sherrihoos 07:49 PM 08-30-2017
I bill my parents every four weeks, roughly the end of the month. Per my new contract for this year I give two absent days at no charge. I don't charge for any holidays which I think is generous. So this one family missed four days this month. Often they miss whole weeks! But I am sending a bill for the month minus only two days. I know this mother is going to have a fit! Any suggestions on what I can say when she approaches me? Thank you!
hwichlaz 09:29 PM 08-30-2017
Originally Posted by Sherrihoos:
I bill my parents every four weeks, roughly the end of the month. Per my new contract for this year I give two absent days at no charge. I don't charge for any holidays which I think is generous. So this one family missed four days this month. Often they miss whole weeks! But I am sending a bill for the month minus only two days. I know this mother is going to have a fit! Any suggestions on what I can say when she approaches me? Thank you!
Just photo copy their contract, highlight the pertinent part, and have it ready to hand to her. Maybe even hand it to her with her invoice.
amberrose3dg 09:41 AM 08-31-2017
That is quite generous. Most providers charge for the spot and bill upfront. I would be terrified of being burned on weeks of childcare. I would explain that she only receives those two days and after that she has to pay.
Sherrihoos 10:24 AM 08-31-2017
Thank you for your suggestions! I will have the contract ready.
satcook 07:53 PM 08-31-2017
You bill after services are received??

I highly recommend figuring out a way to change that You will get burned soon by someone who doesn't pay...
Sherrihoos 12:57 PM 09-01-2017
I know I'm always worried about that. I only have teacher kids and teachers get paid at the end of the month so I am doing once a month billing as a service to them. I am considering changing that for new families.
I find myself doing too many things as a service to my families and because I need the income but it causes so much stress.
CityGarden 01:44 PM 09-01-2017
I bill once a month in advance of service so they pay Sept. 1st for care all of September then Oct. 1st for all of October, etc. I love monthly billing but you have to get into the right groove. I am not sure I would change it on your current families without ample notice but for new ones if they get paid at the end of the month they should use that for the upcoming month's tuition --- that is likely how they pay their rent/car payments, etc.
SunflowerMeadow 10:14 PM 09-02-2017
Yes, always have them prepay
daycarediva 05:28 AM 09-04-2017
Originally Posted by Sherrihoos:
I know I'm always worried about that. I only have teacher kids and teachers get paid at the end of the month so I am doing once a month billing as a service to them. I am considering changing that for new families.
I find myself doing too many things as a service to my families and because I need the income but it causes so much stress.
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I bill once a month in advance of service so they pay Sept. 1st for care all of September then Oct. 1st for all of October, etc. I love monthly billing but you have to get into the right groove. I am not sure I would change it on your current families without ample notice but for new ones if they get paid at the end of the month they should use that for the upcoming month's tuition --- that is likely how they pay their rent/car payments, etc.
YES, you need to change this immediately. They pay for Sept on the 9/1, and so on.

A month's pay is a HARD pill to swallow.

I would stop giving free days altogether to families. They pay, regardless of attendance. It makes it easier for ME not to have to argue about when days were used, etc.

One (teacher) family tried to argue my 'contracted year (contract spells it out, too)' as a 'calendar year'. I renew contracts each Sept. They got one week at 1/2 price for vacation. They took that vacation around thanksgiving and then tried to get another 1/2 price week in March. That was my last 'free' anything to parents.
Tags:billing
Reply Up