Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tantrums And Behavior Issues In 4 Yr Old
Hmorsag 12:40 PM 02-22-2012
I have a situation with a 4 year old and need some advise. CHild has been at our center (off and on for about 6 months). The past 4 weeks or so have been really rough. The child is spitting on teachers, hitting them and just being defiant. He doesn't like it when he doesn't get his way and he hates having to sit still during nap time.

We have tried pulling him out of the room and having talks with him in the office after episodes. We have tried time outs, we have tried revoking privileges (like being line leader or getting to go out on the playground). We have tried having him work with a different teacher.

Each time we talk to him he seems remorseful and says he will do better. But inevitably he ends up having a tantrum again.

I am at my wits end on what to do and my staff is getting extremely frustrated as well. His mothers says he doesn't act like this at home - so she is at a loss too. She now seems to be getting angry at me that the issues are occurring. And I feel bad that we haven't been able to fix the problem.

Any other suggestions on what to do to resolve tantrums. Or do I just cut my losses and term the agreement?
Tags:4 year old, bad behavior, tantrums
Up