Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdoor Time And Summer Heat Questions
Chellieleanne 01:48 PM 05-27-2014
I tried searching but couldn't find anything so if there is something related just post the link please

Anyway on to my post. So it is getting to be triple digits on a daily basis here. It is 80F by 7:30am. I am tentative to let the kids play outside because of the heat. I try for a while in the morning but I know pretty soon that will be pushing it. My play area is all shaded and not really in the sun until the afternoon but it still gets hot. I do have misters(which I need to replace) that help to cool it off but it is still ridiculously hot. How do you handle the heat with your DCKs and outdoor time? How much time do you spend outside when it is hot? Any ideas that I can use indoors to get out energy?

Thanks
jenboo 02:10 PM 05-27-2014
I just switched over to our summer schedule.
We are outside in the mornings until 930.
Breakfast is at 8:15 and we do water play (in bathing suits playing in the sprinklers or a DIY car wash).
We go inside at 930.
If possible, we will go out again from 4-5 but I highly doubt that will happen for a long time...
As for inside gross motor...my daycare room is pretty small so Im thinking of doing intervals of dancing, marching around the room in circles, jumping, etc. In two weeks my oldest DCK will 2 so they are all pretty young.
Chellieleanne 02:26 PM 05-27-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I just switched over to our summer schedule.
We are outside in the mornings until 930.
Breakfast is at 8:15 and we do water play (in bathing suits playing in the sprinklers or a DIY car wash).
We go inside at 930.
If possible, we will go out again from 4-5 but I highly doubt that will happen for a long time...
As for inside gross motor...my daycare room is pretty small so Im thinking of doing intervals of dancing, marching around the room in circles, jumping, etc. In two weeks my oldest DCK will 2 so they are all pretty young.
I want to do water play but I keep forgetting to ask parents to bring extra clothes for the kids

We are outside in the morning until I can't stand the heat(which isn't long with me being pregnant) but i know it isn't enough as the kids LOVE playing outside and would be out all day if I let them. Before the heat I would go out twice a day, before lunch while I prep since I can see everything from my kitchen and after nap. Now I can barely stand to go out with my dog for two minutes let alone while the kids play!

I have a full time 2.5yo which is who I am most concerned over as without time to get his energy out he is a complete monster. Cute kid but too much energy for what I can handle inside haha! I also watch a 2yo part time and even rarer part time 1.5yo who is usually nights when I do have her so I'm not worried about outdoors with her. I also have my own kids that love being outside and have lots of energy to burn but handle it better than my full time 2.5yo.

I do put music on in the afternoon and they love to dance but it isn't enough it seems like. I do have them copy me make acting like animals(jump like a bunny, wiggle like a worm, etc...) and they have fun but get bored after a few animal movements. If they were younger I wouldn't be as worried about going outside but they need the room to use those gross motor skills
jenboo 02:37 PM 05-27-2014
Originally Posted by Chellieleanne:
I want to do water play but I keep forgetting to ask parents to bring extra clothes for the kids

We are outside in the morning until I can't stand the heat(which isn't long with me being pregnant) but i know it isn't enough as the kids LOVE playing outside and would be out all day if I let them. Before the heat I would go out twice a day, before lunch while I prep since I can see everything from my kitchen and after nap. Now I can barely stand to go out with my dog for two minutes let alone while the kids play!

I have a full time 2.5yo which is who I am most concerned over as without time to get his energy out he is a complete monster. Cute kid but too much energy for what I can handle inside haha! I also watch a 2yo part time and even rarer part time 1.5yo who is usually nights when I do have her so I'm not worried about outdoors with her. I also have my own kids that love being outside and have lots of energy to burn but handle it better than my full time 2.5yo.

I do put music on in the afternoon and they love to dance but it isn't enough it seems like. I do have them copy me make acting like animals(jump like a bunny, wiggle like a worm, etc...) and they have fun but get bored after a few animal movements. If they were younger I wouldn't be as worried about going outside but they need the room to use those gross motor skills
I started asking for water clothes like a month ago I knew it would take a while to get them. I also have them leave the water clothes here so that I don't have anyone forget to bring them back on a monday (I just wash them on fridays with their blankets and sheets).
We were going out for about 3 hours a day when it was cooler...I know the kids are going to go crazy this summer!! 5 boys 2 and under
I'm going to be counting down the days...
Chellieleanne 02:44 PM 05-27-2014
I started asking for water clothes like a month ago I knew it would take a while to get them. I also have them leave the water clothes here so that I don't have anyone forget to bring them back on a monday (I just wash them on fridays with their blankets and sheets).
We were going out for about 3 hours a day when it was cooler...I know the kids are going to go crazy this summer!! 5 boys 2 and under
I'm going to be counting down the days...
I asked a while ago but that was it. I know mom wouldn't care what we do but I don't want to use the spare clothes since the 2.5dcb is potty training so I want all the extra clothes she brings!

If it was girls, totally different lol! But my two boys plus the one I watch is more than enough. The 2yo I have is a girl but I haven't seen her in a month and a half or so due to mom and dad issues

I have music right now, well youtube. Dem Bones has become a favorite song, as well as one specific video haha! So it is basically on repeat but they copy the movements. Need to find more songs like that for them to get hooked on.

I am counting down to September. I am going to be taking a break with the baby being born and my full time moving
spud912 03:22 PM 05-27-2014
Chellie: You sound exactly like me, except we are in Phoenix, AZ. I'm due at the end of August and (hopefully) moving before the due date. I have 3 boys and 3 girls and we try to get out as soon as breakfast is over and potty breaks are done (around 8:45 or 9-ish). Last week wasn't so bad but today was noticeably warmer. I have been trying to do water play but I have to say it is EXHAUSTING dressing all the kids in their swimming suits, putting on sunscreen, taking out the water things (I have a small wading pool and a slip and slide) and/or turning on the sprinklers (it usually messes with our watering system and I never know how to re-set it).

We try to make it out most days unless there is a heat advisory (so about 5-10 days per year where it's just too hot). In past years, during indoor-only days I will pull out the special toys (my large bin of balls, the play tent, the parachute, the Stomp Rocket, etc.). I'm finding even those things are really wearing ME out with the pregnancy, especially the parachute. But I have to do something because my group is super active. Ugh.....not looking forward to this summer . If I had more energy it wouldn't be so bad but I am getting wiped out quickly!
rosieteddy 05:16 PM 05-27-2014
The last couple of years I have done water play without changing them into suits. I let them use water tables .I fine mist them and they go out early and again after 4 pm. I take shirts off if they are younger than 5 and they dry by the time we go in.
jenboo 05:56 PM 05-27-2014
Ready for the 110 degree weather tomorrow??!!
TwinKristi 06:09 PM 05-27-2014
It's only been in the high 80's-low 90's here in recent weeks and we can't even go past lunch. I usually have them do outside play from arrival to 11am and then close everything down and turn on the fans and stay inside for lunch and nap. Then we play inside until about 4-4:30pm and play til pickup leaving the door open and gate up for a breeze. We live about 45 min from the ocean so we cool down a lot at night and get a sea breeze around 4 most of the time. The only problem with water play is the drought!! Soon we'll be having price increases on our water so it will be even worse!!
jenboo 08:02 PM 05-27-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
It's only been in the high 80's-low 90's here in recent weeks and we can't even go past lunch. I usually have them do outside play from arrival to 11am and then close everything down and turn on the fans and stay inside for lunch and nap. Then we play inside until about 4-4:30pm and play til pickup leaving the door open and gate up for a breeze. We leave about 45 min from the ocean so we cool down a lot at night and get a sea breeze around 4 most of the time. The only problem with water play is the drought!! Soon we'll be having price increases on our water so it will be even worse!!
Omg I works die if I had water increases in the summer! We literally wouldn't be able to go outside at all in the summer without water! It was already 80 by 5am this morning....
I do love the heat though!
TwinKristi 08:35 PM 05-27-2014
Yeah, it sucks, mid-July they're raising rates and it's like what am I supposed to do.
Michael 09:51 PM 05-27-2014
Here is a helpful heat/cold chart we have: https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
Chellieleanne 09:01 AM 05-28-2014
Thanks everyone!

Michael-my kids will never get out this summer if I go based on that chart!

I think I need to get my misters replaced pronto. I get paid Friday so I will be making an investment. Now to figure out how many feet I need for it! At least that will help even if it is just getting the kids a little bit wet. We were outside for a while this morning since it is a little cooler but afternoon will probably be a no. Tried yesterday and it lasted 5 minutes.

Oh well I guess heat beats tornadoes and hurricanes and humidity.
jenboo 09:17 AM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by Chellieleanne:
Thanks everyone!

Michael-my kids will never get out this summer if I go based on that chart!

I think I need to get my misters replaced pronto. I get paid Friday so I will be making an investment. Now to figure out how many feet I need for it! At least that will help even if it is just getting the kids a little bit wet. We were outside for a while this morning since it is a little cooler but afternoon will probably be a no. Tried yesterday and it lasted 5 minutes.

Oh well I guess heat beats tornadoes and hurricanes and humidity.
Let me know which misters get please! I want to get some
Chellieleanne 09:34 AM 05-28-2014
Let me know which misters get please! I want to get some
Definitely. I was looking at a set on amazon yesterday for $20 but it is only 10feet. I think I need at least 20ft but I have to go measure what I have out there now. Plus a water filter for it. My misters now are so clogged because of the hard water, blegh!
hope 09:51 AM 05-28-2014
Water play in either bathing suits or extra set of clothes. I put the sprinkler on a low setting in the shade. I spray kids with water from spray bottles if they don't want to be fully wet. It gives a good mist. I keep a huge jug of water on ice for them to refill their cups often.
Meyou 09:59 AM 05-28-2014
This thread makes me want to cry. I wore a winter jacket outside this morning when I took the kids out. Wahhhhhhhhh....I want sun!!!!
Chellieleanne 10:40 AM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
This thread makes me want to cry. I wore a winter jacket outside this morning when I took the kids out. Wahhhhhhhhh....I want sun!!!!
Send your cold this way! You can have my heat, I don't want it or the electric bill to go with the ac being on!!!
playground1 11:00 AM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Heh, me too. I live in Northern Europe, I wish I had their problems.
Tags:heat
Reply Up