Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Center Cameras
Cindyy00 10:33 PM 01-08-2015
I am opening a licensed daycare center in a few weeks and I was wondering if anybody here can recommend a surveilling camera system that you can install yourself and parents can have access on their phones or computer.

Thanks
Blackcat31 05:37 AM 01-09-2015
Originally Posted by Cindyy00:
I am opening a licensed daycare center in a few weeks and I was wondering if anybody here can recommend a surveilling camera system that you can install yourself and parents can have access on their phones or computer.

Thanks
I have no recommendations but I'd be careful about having a camera parents can access as that goes against the privacy rights of others.

If Billy's mom can access a camera and see what Billy is doing all day, then clearly she can see what Jane is doing as well and if I were Jane's mom, I'd be upset that other adults that I do not know have access to my child's activities all day.

I'm all for cameras for staff and for liability reasons but I would NEVER have cameras that parents can access.

What happens if Billy's mom allows her entire family and a couple extended family members and even a few co-workers access to the video feed?

I don't mean to sound negative about it but in my experience, this is a bad idea. It invites a TON of liability and privacy issues that I would NOT be comfortable with as a provider or a parent.
Ariana 12:09 PM 01-09-2015
I agree with Blackcat. I would also say that having a video surveillance opens you up to misinterpretations about what might be happening or vulnerable to angry parents if they see something they think is unfair for their child. "What happened to Billy at 3pm I saw that other child take his toy and you didn't do anything"....ETC!! I am an ECE and know that most parents have zero idea why I do half the things I do. If you do get one make sure it has sound and make sure your staff is well qualified. I think Costco has some good ones that can be accessed by smart phones.
Learning Daycare 12:16 PM 01-09-2015
When I first thought about opening, I wanted to have cameras where live streaming was available as well. Then, the more I thought about it, it didn't make sense. I think you should,by all means, have a cameras on sight, but they should only be viewed by staff, the monitors should be in the director's office. The only way parents should be allowed to view the video is with a valid complaint or concern. For example, if the child has a bite mark that the provider was unaware of or something serious in nature. Even in the case of a bite, I wouldn't allow parents to view the tapes. I would instead explain to the parents that for the safety of the children involved, you won't show the tape. Of course, it would still need to be explained that the offending child has been given a warning and will be termed according to whatever your policies state.

There was a case a few years ago where a 9 year old boy was hitting, kicking, pinching and biting a toddler DCG but the daycare workers didn't even notice. The father of the little girl came to the daycare and slapped the 3 year old child he "thought" hurt his daughter. He slapped the wrong child. Can you imagine what the father would've done to a 9 year old if he slapped a 3 year old? You can look this story up if you're not familiar with it. After hearing and seeing the details, I decided I would not allow parents to stream the daycare feed for personal use.

I wish you much success with the start of your daycare!
DaycareService 09:30 AM 07-14-2016
If you are a provider you might look into . The thing that most like about them is that the center doesn't pay any upfront cost and there's an option where the center doesn't pay anything...for equipment, installation or maintenance. Parents pay a low monthly enrollment cost.
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 07-14-2016
Originally Posted by DaycareService:
If you are a provider you might look into . The thing that most like about them is that the center doesn't pay any upfront cost and there's an option where the center doesn't pay anything...for equipment, installation or maintenance. Parents pay a low monthly enrollment cost.
Please do not advertise on the forum without first asking the site owner. You can find contact info here
Tags:cameras suggestions
Reply Up