Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your infant zone.....
Abigail 04:01 PM 09-06-2010
Has anyone put together a nice infant zone? I'm thinking about building a partial wall (like a half-tall wall) across a section of the basement livingroom to create a safe infant-zone for two babies. This would include the 12 month and under toys and maybe the jumper, bouncer/rocker, and swing (Don't have a swing yet, so not sure whether to buy one!) The pack-n-play and crib would remain in a separate sleeping room.

Please tell me if you have an infant zone for just two babies (5 older children but all are under school-age) and what it looks like. I want a safe area for them so I'm not holding them all the time and the older kids can't get to them.
Francine 05:42 PM 09-06-2010
I don't have a "infant zone" but my house was built with a livingroom and a familyroom, I have made the livingroom into my daycare/playroom unless I am in there with the kids the babies are in the family room. If I am in the playroom with the older kids I bring the babies in there too but if I leave to make lunch or whatever they leave with me. The older kids can come into the family room but there are no toys in there except for the baby toys and I have taught ( am teaching : ) the older kids to leave the baby toys alone. I keep a big blanket on the floor for the babies and their toys and the jumparoo in the family room, the rest of the toys are in the playroom.
caitlin 07:24 PM 09-06-2010
Right now my kids are 3months - 26 months so we spend all of our time in the same room, but if I had a wider age range I would like to have a permenant way of keeping everyone seperate (and safe!).
SilverSabre25 06:25 AM 09-07-2010
I have been thinking about this lately--my kids are 10 months, 16 months, 19 months, 2.5 years, and 2.75 years. I haven't had an "infant space" or "baby jail" or anything like that, but am thinking that it might be important if I get any really little babes.

I've seen people who have a "baby jail" playpen-like set up for anyone under 2--that seems crazy to me to not let an older toddler out with the other kids!
DancingQueen 06:32 AM 09-07-2010
Good question! The youngest I have is 15 months - but she might as well be 2 - she is such a big girl and so capable.
I have an interview tomorrow night for a 6 month old and I've been wondering what I'm going to do as far as protecting him from, not only the bigger kids playing, but also from some of their toys that he really shouldn't have.
tymaboy 07:23 AM 09-07-2010
I do not have a separate area. After the babies get used to the daycare enviroment they like being with the big kids. Even if they sit in the bouncy seat all day they like to see what everyone else is doing. If they get a bit overwhelmed by everything then I may pull them back into an area that the kids are not aloud to go or I will go lay them down for a little bit.
Francine 07:28 AM 09-07-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I have been thinking about this lately--my kids are 10 months, 16 months, 19 months, 2.5 years, and 2.75 years. I haven't had an "infant space" or "baby jail" or anything like that, but am thinking that it might be important if I get any really little babes.

I've seen people who have a "baby jail" playpen-like set up for anyone under 2--that seems crazy to me to not let an older toddler out with the other kids!
I do have a superyard ( baby jail) but I use it only when I have to for one particular toddler. If I am feeding a baby, toddler goes in baby jail, if I need to leave the room for over a minute he goes in baby jail. I don't leave him in there but when I need to keep him safe or to give me a minute of not chasing him ( feeding the baby etc.) in he goes and he screams his head off until I get him back out. It's not like he doesn't have toys in there, he does but he doesn't like to be confinded so he screams. Now I will set the babies in there if I am busy with the older kids, it gives them a safe place to play where they won't get toys that they shouldn't and so they don't get trampled.
SilverSabre25 07:42 AM 09-07-2010
Originally Posted by Miss Joy:
I do have a superyard ( baby jail) but I use it only when I have to for one particular toddler. If I am feeding a baby, toddler goes in baby jail, if I need to leave the room for over a minute he goes in baby jail. I don't leave him in there but when I need to keep him safe or to give me a minute of not chasing him ( feeding the baby etc.) in he goes and he screams his head off until I get him back out. It's not like he doesn't have toys in there, he does but he doesn't like to be confinded so he screams. Now I will set the babies in there if I am busy with the older kids, it gives them a safe place to play where they won't get toys that they shouldn't and so they don't get trampled.
Okay, that makes sense--it's temporary. I was talking about a few people I've seen that imply that they have the toddlers and infants in there all the time.
Tags:baby zone, infant zone, safety
Reply Up