Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No More Binky No What Do We Do?
Unregistered 11:41 AM 09-05-2014
No more binky for a 2 1/2 year old boy who chewed it to shreds may even have ate a piece of plastic. I told mom months ago no more binky that he was chewing them and it's a choking hazard she let him chew them and went and bought new ones well I finally said no more and showed her the binky he chewed to pieces.

Now the problem is this kid wont nap or sleep at night. he does fall asleep but he falls asleep when it's time to get up what do I do? This kid is a nightmare when he doesn't have a nap

He's only been without the binky 2 or three days here at daycare I bet he gets it at home though.

What should I do to help him sleep?
Blackcat31 12:37 PM 09-05-2014
I refuse to wean a child from something their parent still allows IF it causes grief or unnecessary strife here.

If DCK is still allowed to have a Binky at home, of course he isn't going to sleep at your house.

I would continue to allow him to have it at nap time but would INSIST that the one mom provides is new and in good condition so that it isn't a choking hazard.

If she does not supply a new one or one in good condition, refuse to keep him.

If he still gets one at home and you are not allowing it, its going to be nothing but a continuous power struggle with NO winners and NO NAPPERS.
Shell 12:45 PM 09-05-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I refuse to wean a child from something their parent still allows IF it causes grief or unnecessary strife here.

If DCK is still allowed to have a Binky at home, of course he isn't going to sleep at your house.

I would continue to allow him to have it at nap time but would INSIST that the one mom provides is new and in good condition so that it isn't a choking hazard.

If she does not supply a new one or one in good condition, refuse to keep him.

If he still gets one at home and you are not allowing it, its going to be nothing but a continuous power struggle with NO winners and NO NAPPERS.
great advice!
Kimskiddos 01:26 PM 09-05-2014
I have had several kiddos over the years that were weaned off paci's at my place and still got them at home.

My current 2.5yo was weaned here at 18m (a few weeks before it was time to transition to napping with the big kids) it was a bit tough for a few days but then no problems. The kid still gets a paci at home.

While I agree you shouldn't make more work for yourself if the parents aren't on board, it can work. Guess it's just a personal pet peeve of mine to see a kid over 12m with a paci in their mouth. I generally wean them off paci's here between 6 to 12 months.
TwinKristi 01:36 PM 09-05-2014
I'm in the process of this right now as well. DCG turned 2 last weekend and that was supposed to be the magic day she would give them up! LOL We've talked about it for months! Guess who had one Tues morning upon arrival? I take it out as soon as she gets here and only use it for nap time. I agree that it's going to be hard, but not impossible, to wean at daycare if parents still allow it at home. It will take a bit though.
Blackcat31 02:07 PM 09-05-2014
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
I have had several kiddos over the years that were weaned off paci's at my place and still got them at home.
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I agree that it's going to be hard, but not impossible, to wean at daycare if parents still allow it at home. It will take a bit though.

I've had a lot of success with kids being weaned here and not at home too.

I just refuse to do it if it's MORE work for me verses the parent and if the weaning causes any type of disruption or difficulty for the other kids in care.
Tags:chew toys, excerise, safety
Reply Up