Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Should Be a Vent
midaycare 02:07 PM 10-28-2016
I've been opening 10 minutes early for a dcf for 2 months now. Not a huge deal, but dcb is the first here and the last to leave. He's also my toughest kid.

Dcd got a new job and said he needed the extra 10 minutes to make it to his job. Well...dcd let it slip that dcd and dcm are carpooling and they work in the same medical complex. Not the same building, but almost within spitting distance.

Dcm always was able to make it to my regular opening time...so why the extra 10 minutes? Coffee run?
Mom2Two 02:29 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I've been opening 10 minutes early for a dcf for 2 months now. Not a huge deal, but dcb is the first here and the last to leave. He's also my toughest kid.

Dcd got a new job and said he needed the extra 10 minutes to make it to his job. Well...dcd let it slip that dcd and dcm are carpooling and they work in the same medical complex. Not the same building, but almost within spitting distance.

Dcm always was able to make it to my regular opening time...so why the extra 10 minutes? Coffee run?
Oh shoot, I hate that moment when you find out that a family is just playing you for a fool. I know that it happens, but it can be so hard to call them on it and put up a good boundary that you can live with.

If only the parents realized that we actually can figure out when they're lying to us. And that it really does affect the relationship.
JackandJill 02:43 PM 10-28-2016
If it were me, I would just give them a notice saying you can no longer accommodate the early drop off. No need to explain why. I would start ASAP so you don't grow resentful, I know I quickly get agitated when I feel taken advantage of.
Cat Herder 02:43 PM 10-28-2016
Are you charging the extra $50 a week?
midaycare 03:34 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Are you charging the extra $50 a week?
No, this was a kindness
midaycare 03:35 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
If it were me, I would just give them a notice saying you can no longer accommodate the early drop off. No need to explain why. I would start ASAP so you don't grow resentful, I know I quickly get agitated when I feel taken advantage of.
Next week Monday
daycare 03:43 PM 10-28-2016
no way jose.... I would be putting out that email faster than my fingers could type....

congtas DCD heard that you landed a job witDCM... Hours of operation are back to normal of 7am to 5pm, or whatever they are...lol

If they said they needed it still, just tell them it's an hour a week you need to be paid for...
Boymom 03:47 PM 10-28-2016

Or maybe they are making out in the car!
I'm not sure why my brain went there, but it did haha!

But I definitely wouldn't be a happy either if I found that out.
Some parents think it's ALL about them!
Boymom 03:50 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
no way jose.... I would be putting out that email faster than my fingers could type....

congtas DCD heard that you landed a job witDCM... Hours of operation are back to normal of 7am to 5pm, or whatever they are...lol

If they said they needed it still, just tell them it's an hour a week you need to be paid for...
I love this!
midaycare 06:01 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
Or maybe they are making out in the car!
I'm not sure why my brain went there, but it did haha!

But I definitely wouldn't be a happy either if I found that out.
Some parents think it's ALL about them!
Oh haha! I actually do think it's a coffee run. Both dcm and dcd are kind of yuppyish and strike me as the type to need a Starbucks every morning.

I'm not judging re: Starbucks. I mean, the Chai Hot Tea is my $3.47 downfall.
lovemydaycare0912 07:54 PM 10-28-2016
I agree with PP. It would tick me off. I'd either charge for the extra time if I wanted to open earlier. If not, I'd tell them I can't any longer.
284878 09:33 AM 10-29-2016
There was a time when dh and I worked in the same building and I clocked in 15 minutes after dh (but also clocked out 15 minutes later)
midaycare 09:42 AM 10-29-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
There was a time when dh and I worked in the same building and I clocked in 15 minutes after dh (but also clocked out 15 minutes later)
They both work 8-5, but yes, good to always make sure of those things!
e.j. 01:59 PM 10-29-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
I can see where it might take an extra 10 minutes for him to drop her off and then drive over to his building, find a parking spot and walk to his office, especially if traffic is busy in and around the medical complex. (I'm thinking about the medical complex we have in our area and even at 7:00/7:30, traffic is very busy, with many pedestrians crossing the roads and slowing down traffic. It can take extra time to get from one building to another.) He might also be one of those people who likes to arrive at work a bit early; she might not mind walking in right at 8:00 on the dot. Just thinking that these factors might account for why he asked for an earlier drop off.

I get why you might be annoyed, though - if you are. I've had families ask me to open early so the parent dropping off could get in to work on time only to have the parent stand around talking to me the whole time. If they came at regular opening time and dropped off quickly, they'd have plenty of time to get to work! I know I'm not that interesting to talk to so I don't get why they ask - and pay for - the additional time but they do!
midaycare 05:06 PM 10-29-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I can see where it might take an extra 10 minutes for him to drop her off and then drive over to his building, find a parking spot and walk to his office, especially if traffic is busy in and around the medical complex. (I'm thinking about the medical complex we have in our area and even at 7:00/7:30, traffic is very busy, with many pedestrians crossing the roads and slowing down traffic. It can take extra time to get from one building to another.) He might also be one of those people who likes to arrive at work a bit early; she might not mind walking in right at 8:00 on the dot. Just thinking that these factors might account for why he asked for an earlier drop off.

I get why you might be annoyed, though - if you are. I've had families ask me to open early so the parent dropping off could get in to work on time only to have the parent stand around talking to me the whole time. If they came at regular opening time and dropped off quickly, they'd have plenty of time to get to work! I know I'm not that interesting to talk to so I don't get why they ask - and pay for - the additional time but they do!
I know I probably wasn't very clear on the whole setup. Where they work the buildings are right next to each other and they park in a shared parking lot, so yes, I'm annoyed.

If he likes to be 10 minutes early, well, that's on him. I like to be rich and fabulous, and yet here I am

The reason I'm overly annoyed is because this is my tough kiddo. Grrr!

My fault though, I agreed to it! Just a bummer tonfind out that extra 10 minutes is for nothing.
e.j. 09:05 PM 10-29-2016
It makes all the difference, doesn't it?

Maybe you could tell them you didn't think opening 10 minutes early would make much of a difference to your schedule but it does and it's just not working for you. As much as you'd like to help them, you will need to go back to opening at regular time?
Cat Herder 06:31 AM 10-31-2016

My fault though, I agreed to it! Just a bummer tonfind out that extra 10 minutes is for nothing.
IMHO, If you were charging the appropriate extra $50 the situation would not annoy you as much and they would not take advantage. I bet they would even find an miraculous family solution.

Add a price to it. It is not too late.

To them an extra hour a week is no big deal because you have shown them that your morning family time is not worth $$. You have the power to fix that.
Ariana 09:33 AM 10-31-2016
I would face to face ask him if he is still needing the extra 10 minutes since they are now working together...then stare intently at him. Then make sure to tell him that since it is no longer needed for a commute an additional fee will apply. Let them know that you will email them the details as you shove them out the door!
Tags:early arrival fee, enforcing policies - consistency
Reply Up