Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Claiming Meals on Taxes
much_lovee 01:29 PM 01-02-2019
When I do taxes this year I plan on claiming each meal/snack I served. This is usually 2 meals and 2 snacks per day per child. Occasionally it is 3 snacks. (From what I understand I’m allowed to claim a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 3 snacks per day per child. Please correct me if I’m wrong)

I have all the records of times children were here per day, and I also have breakfast, lunch, and snacks served that day counted and wrote down.

Now, I am apart of a sponsor for the CACFP and I’m reimbursed 2 meals and 1 snack a day. Am I still allowed to write off those 2 meals and 1 snack a day on my taxes when I file? Or am I going to be only allowed to claim 1-2 snacks per day per child that weren’t reimbursed?
284878 05:43 PM 01-02-2019
You claim all the meals you served even if it was just a popsicle. However you also claim the money from the fp as income.

Check out Tom copeland's blog for more details on how this works numbers wise.
Michael 08:28 PM 01-02-2019
Here are more threads on deducting meals: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...uction+-+meals
TomCopeland 10:36 AM 01-03-2019
Originally Posted by much_lovee:
When I do taxes this year I plan on claiming each meal/snack I served. This is usually 2 meals and 2 snacks per day per child. Occasionally it is 3 snacks. (From what I understand I’m allowed to claim a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 3 snacks per day per child. Please correct me if I’m wrong)

I have all the records of times children were here per day, and I also have breakfast, lunch, and snacks served that day counted and wrote down.

Now, I am apart of a sponsor for the CACFP and I’m reimbursed 2 meals and 1 snack a day. Am I still allowed to write off those 2 meals and 1 snack a day on my taxes when I file? Or am I going to be only allowed to claim 1-2 snacks per day per child that weren’t reimbursed?
You can always deduct up to one breakfast, one lunch, one supper and three snacks per day per child if you serve that many. This includes reimbursed and non reimbursed meals and snacks.
Firefly 11:40 AM 01-03-2019
So if the kids bring their own lunches do we claim those too? I’m not on the food program and I’ve only ever counted breakfast and 2 snacks.
much_lovee 12:53 PM 01-03-2019
Thank you everyone!
TomCopeland 02:06 PM 01-03-2019
Originally Posted by Firefly:
So if the kids bring their own lunches do we claim those too? I’m not on the food program and I’ve only ever counted breakfast and 2 snacks.
If children bring all the ingredients for a meal or snack, you can't deduct this. But if the children bring a sandwich and you serve milk, that's a lunch you can deduct.
Firefly 10:38 AM 01-07-2019
Ok, so if the kids bring their own lunches and I provide the milk (which I’ve always done) I can claim their lunches? I had no idea!
TomCopeland 10:59 AM 01-08-2019
Originally Posted by Firefly:
Ok, so if the kids bring their own lunches and I provide the milk (which I’ve always done) I can claim their lunches? I had no idea!
Yes, you can.
Tags:deduction - meals, meals cost, tax
Reply Up