Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Remind When A Payment Is Due?
CountryRoads 02:11 PM 03-01-2019
So, let's say payment is due today by closing. Child is not here today, but of course, payment is still due. They got a reminder yesterday that payment is due today, should have gotten one again today (I use Brightwheel and it automatically sends out reminders the day before and the day of I believe).

Would you send a text also reminding that payment is due today? Would you not say anything and just bill a late fee after closing?

I really hope she pays within the next couple hours. I hate this part of the job!
Blackcat31 02:31 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
So, let's say payment is due today by closing. Child is not here today, but of course, payment is still due. They got a reminder yesterday that payment is due today, should have gotten one again today (I use Brightwheel and it automatically sends out reminders the day before and the day of I believe).

Would you send a text also reminding that payment is due today? Would you not say anything and just bill a late fee after closing?

I really hope she pays within the next couple hours. I hate this part of the job!
No I do not remind them.

My late fee is large enough that I secretly hope at least one parent forgets every week.
soso78 03:42 PM 03-01-2019
I agree with Blackcat. Do not remind them. Just bill the late fee if it's not paid. If no payment by Monday, no care.
I use square invoice so they can just pay it online. Works great! Payments are due by 9am. I get a notification on my phone once it's paid. At 9:01, I immediately send a new invoice with the late fee. Parents quickly get the message and take care of it before pickup and without me having to say a word.
boy_mom 04:05 PM 03-01-2019
I would not remind but I would send an "automatic" updated invoice as soon as the payment has become late. Not sure if you have a cut off time on Fridays, or if you can send it out at midnight.

I used Brightwheel and they send enough reminders that the parents did not need an additional one from!
CountryRoads 04:12 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
I would not remind but I would send an "automatic" updated invoice as soon as the payment has become late. Not sure if you have a cut off time on Fridays, or if you can send it out at midnight.

I used Brightwheel and they send enough reminders that the parents did not need an additional one from!
That was my thought, I even manually sent out a reminder through Brightwheel. So, she has received several by now.
Jupadia 05:21 PM 03-01-2019
Not most of the time. If I have a kid out sick and payment is due I usually ask when they call or text in how they want to pay. I do offer bank email payments so they don't have to come in. But if 8 used an auto system that sent reminders then no kit at all.
I also say something first week the day before about payment next day, to many parents forget / dont read, that payment is due on last day of care for next week. After that not at all.
Ms.Kay 06:03 PM 03-01-2019
No. Once I grew a backbone ..nope. No one reminds me my car payment..mortgage..or other services I use are due. I charge late fees daily..2x late it doubles..3x it triples. I have made more $ off of late fees....because parents are incompetent....and will continue to due so.
Ariana 06:34 AM 03-02-2019
It depends on the family for me. Some I will send a friendly reminder some I will not. Every payday I post a bunch of pictures in my private FB page for families. I write a little blurb about our week and then a “payment reminder”. That is all I do so it is rare that a family forgets. I have had families forget however and when I text a reminder they are very apologetic and pay immediately. If it were a chronic problem I would not be reminding several times and charging.
Mom2Two 11:35 AM 03-05-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
It depends on the family for me....I have had families forget however and when I text a reminder they are very apologetic and pay immediately. If it were a chronic problem I would not be reminding several times and charging.
Same. It's rarely been a problem, but the first time or two a family is late, I'll do a Venmo reminder then a text before doing a late fee on Sunday. But after that little warm up, I would just start slapping on the late fee. If it kept going, I would increase my late fees. I haven't had to do that yet though.
Cat Herder 11:40 AM 03-05-2019
Only for my auto-pay clients when I have to adjust their invoice (rate adjustment). They anticipate it being automated and it won't be only because of an action on my part. A quick reminder that I edited and it will have to be paid manually is in order. Fair is fair.
CountryRoads 01:46 PM 03-05-2019
Thanks everyone!

After at least 3 reminders, I ended up resending the invoice with a late fee. She immediately paid and said she thought she had until at least the end of the day. I directed her to the section of my handbook that says payment must be made by 5:30 or a late fee will apply. It feels good to use my backbone
boy_mom 04:21 PM 03-05-2019
Thanks everyone!

After at least 3 reminders, I ended up resending the invoice with a late fee. She immediately paid and said she thought she had until at least the end of the day. I directed her to the section of my handbook that says payment must be made by 5:30 or a late fee will apply. It feels good to use my backbone
Good for you!!
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 03-06-2019
Thanks everyone!

That is so strange. If she had the money, why not pay it immediately verses waiting until the last minute.

I feel like parents do that as a power play type of behavior. If not, it's just odd that it's so common.
Cat Herder 06:37 AM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is so strange. If she had the money, why not pay it immediately verses waiting until the last minute.

I feel like parents do that as a power play type of behavior. If not, it's just odd that it's so common.
I have one who pays after hours occasionally because they are afraid to use the work computers or wireless to log into the payment account. They are my oldest set of parents. Luckily they are auto-pay so it only occurs very rarely that they need to pay manually. They use the credit card more than the checking.
CountryRoads 07:08 AM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I wondered that, too. I also wondered what "end of the day" meant to her. 8:00? Midnight?

Very odd.
missmisty 08:12 AM 03-15-2019
ive been having a rough time with a couple sets of parents so ive recently really cracked down on this. i send an invoice to parents on thursdays. It details the pymt due and any early drop off or late pick up fees accrued ( which ive also gotten very strict on).

it states at the bottom of each invoice (paraphrased here - its very professional on the invoice) that pay is due on friday at pick up or at the latest on monday at drop off. no exceptions. if pay is not recieved, kids wont be accepted into care until current. if pay is not current after a week i will term care and refill spots. it also states that if they are absent it is STILL their responsibility to get pay to me on time.
Tags:payment - reminder, payment - rules, reminder
Reply Up