Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Working With A Sore Throat?
newtodaycare22 09:26 AM 05-22-2012
How do you guys manage??

Here's my story. Sunday night I started getting a fever (chills, shaking etc). It was too late to call parents so I crossed my fingers I'd be ok. Yesterday morning, my temp was 98.6, so I got up as usual. I was slightly nauseous but then that passed. As the day went on, my fever came back and sky rocketed. Parents picked up early and I told them I'd be closed today (which I've only done one other time in almost two years).

Went to the dr yesterday and my temp was 103.2! They did bloodwork and urine testing and said my kidneys looked bad. Ugh. Last night I was still a mess but he did start me on a z pack just in case.

Today-my throat is a mess. Hurts soo bad, swollen, hot. I thought for sure it was strep so I went back to the dr-the quick test was negative. Ugh. Never thought I'd want strep! lol Now I have to wait on my bloodwork but at least I'm not shaking from the fever any more.

Anyway, my fever is gone today (knock on wood) so my major concern about opening tomorrow is being able to talk all day. Any advice guys?? Thanks!
e.j. 12:17 PM 05-22-2012
Personally, if I felt as sick as you seem to feel, I'd remain closed for at least another day if possible. Hopefully you'll get the results back on your tests soon.

In general, when I have a sore throat, I just tell the kids that I don't feel well and that because my throat hurts, I won't be talking much. I suck on Sucrets or something similar to numb the pain when I do have to talk.
The older kids usually understand. I put some cd's on and let them free-play for most of the day. The younger ones are usually so busy playing, I don't think they even notice I'm not talking/interacting with them as much.

I hope you feel better soon.
newtodaycare22 12:22 PM 05-22-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Personally, if I felt as sick as you seem to feel, I'd remain closed for at least another day if possible. Hopefully you'll get the results back on your tests soon.

In general, when I have a sore throat, I just tell the kids that I don't feel well and that because my throat hurts, I won't be talking much. I suck on Sucrets or something similar to numb the pain when I do have to talk.
The older kids usually understand. I put some cd's on and let them free-play for most of the day. The younger ones are usually so busy playing, I don't think they even notice I'm not talking/interacting with them as much.

I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks. The only problem right now is my throat, which is fantastic compared to yesterday (when I was actually open part of the day). lol
meganlavonnesmommy 04:57 AM 05-23-2012
A lot of the time, the quick test is negative, but the culture they grow later is positive. So it may still be strep. I'd close another day just to be sure.

But to answer your question, I usually work sick. Unless its really really bad. If I am vomiting a lot, or have the flu really bad where I cant get up off the couch. I just work thru it.

We have a quiet day, lots of movies. We play Dr, so I can lay on the floor covered in a blanket, while the daycare kids get out the dr play toys and "give me a check up".

I usually pull out our camping tent and set it up, that will occupy the kids for an hour or more.
Tags:sick provider, sore throat
Reply Up