Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long? Maternity Leave...
JeepGirl6 11:50 AM 04-23-2013
I am due with my first child in at the beginning of August I operate my daycare full time Monday-Friday 6:00am-5:30pm. I have told parents I am only taking 2 weeks off because financially I can't afford to take anymore nor do I want to leave parents without child care. I have 3 out of the 5 families actually leaving me when I have the baby because their children are starting preschool, so I will still have 2 full time children but financially I wont be able to pay my part of the bills with only them. I am been applying to jobs but I am afraid me being pregnant is what's scaring people away? How long did you take off for maternity leave? How hard was it going back to daycare with your own newborn? How many children did/do you care for for your own baby? I am just wondering how much I am really going to be able to handle with my own child. I care for 6 children a day now so I am very experienced, just have a feeling its going to completely different when I ad my own into the mix.
AmyKidsCo 12:00 PM 04-23-2013
I took 1 week off, but I had help for 4-5 weeks after. With #4 I hired a friend to work full time with me, with #5 & #6 my Mom came over to help every day.
sahm1225 12:05 PM 04-23-2013
I didn't close with any of them...

BUT with my 2nd I only had one dcg and my 2 year old.
With my 3rd, I had workers that kept the business open. I planned to take off one week, then work part time (2-3 days) for 2 weeks. My baby had medical issues and I ended up taking off one month. It wasn't hard adjusting to having my newborn in the mix, but I also had 2 girls working with me who were a tremendous help.

Do you have helpers?
JeepGirl6 12:36 PM 04-23-2013
No, I have never had anyone help me besides my mom or grandma during nap time so I could go to an ultrasound or Dr Appt. We are moving next week so they will live too far away to come help. My sis will live 7 minutes away from our new house but she already cares for children also plus her 3 so I dont see how that would work :-/ I thought about trying to find someone to help me for a few weeks but to be aw to afford to pay them I have to pick up at least 2 full time kids after those 3 leave for preschool once I have the baby & so far no luck in new clients. I think when applying to the jobs for new area where I am moving, thry dont email me back because I tell them Im moving to the area and pregnant so they dont realize I am an established daycare just changing location.
JeepGirl6 03:52 PM 04-23-2013
Bump...anyone else?
sahm1225 03:58 PM 04-23-2013
How old are the kids you watch full time? Can you afford to have someone work a few hours 2-3 days a week for the first month?
Or see if your mom or grandma can come once a week (even if its far, it's only once a week).

I had my newborn, my 2 year old and 2 1/2 year old full time and it wasn't too bad. I made easy meals, I nursed with a Cover and had snacks and meals ready ahead of time. I ate when the kids ate and rested while they napped. I did have a friend come by once a week and she would sanitize and be there for any help.

Good luck! And congratulations!
JeepGirl6 04:26 PM 04-23-2013
The ages of the children I care for now range from 14 months,15 months, 2.5 years old, 3 years old, 4 years old. Once our baby is born the 14 month old(then will be 18 months) and 3 year old will be staying with me.
Tags:maternity leave, maternity leave - length
Reply Up