Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maternity Leave and My Daycare
Unregistered 08:00 AM 12-10-2014
I have just open my own daycare/preschool. I accept children 2.5 and up. Well, all of a sudden my husband and I have decided to have another child! I have a 2 year old daughter. Being 39, I honestly didnt think we'd want/have anymore. But now that she's STTN and is an absolute joy, we want another. Our timing is AWFUL! Just awful! I dont know how I would handle my daycare that I assume will be up and running in full swing by the time I delivered. What could I do?! I only have preschoolers at this point...how could I incorporate my infant? Would it be too much? Am I crazy? Should I hire someone to run my daycare (its in my daylight basement) while I am on maternity? Should I shut it down (Which my husband is against.)

Really looking for some answers and advice.

TIA
Blackcat31 08:48 AM 12-10-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have just open my own daycare/preschool. I accept children 2.5 and up. Well, all of a sudden my husband and I have decided to have another child! I have a 2 year old daughter. Being 39, I honestly didnt think we'd want/have anymore. But now that she's STTN and is an absolute joy, we want another. Our timing is AWFUL! Just awful! I dont know how I would handle my daycare that I assume will be up and running in full swing by the time I delivered. What could I do?! I only have preschoolers at this point...how could I incorporate my infant? Would it be too much? Am I crazy? Should I hire someone to run my daycare (its in my daylight basement) while I am on maternity? Should I shut it down (Which my husband is against.)

Really looking for some answers and advice.

TIA
Here are several threads about providers and their maternity leaves. https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...aternity+leave

Not all are in reference to the provider but if you scroll through the titles you can pick out which ones are. I am sure one of them will have some good tips, suggestions and advice.

I was done having babies by the time I opened so it wasn't something I had to ever deal with.

Whatever you decide to do will ultimately be your choice but don't allow your clients to push you into doing something you don't want to do. Having a new baby should be a happy and private time in a family's life in my honest opinion.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:05 AM 12-10-2014
When I opened, I let prospective parents know up front that we were hoping to have a baby, and that when we did, I'd close for a month's maternity leave. It ended up taking 2 1/2 years before we got there! But the parents were well-informed and prepared. They found a way to deal with it.

When she was born, I made sure my daughter was the only infant, so she could have all the attention she needed from me. That made handling the wide mix of ages manageable.
Tags:maternity leave
Reply Up