Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lost on What to Do
FCCLife 06:17 PM 10-19-2015
I have had my current dck's 1.5 years. My dd is newly 5. She started part day preschool and she loves it. When she is home with the daycare kids she has been having anger fits and bossy. She really struggles getting along with one of my dck's off and on everyday and has for the whole 1.5 years. She says she wants to go to the daycare center. then I ask her how she would feel if other kids were here playing with me while she is at the center and she said she would like it because they have toys there. Has anyone done this or experience that and if so how did you do it? I feel maybe she just might be ready to be away from the younger kids and me. I mean she really loves time at preschool. But then if she goes to daycare center I don't know what I will do because the whole reason I do it is to be here for my kids. So lost. Been feeling lost for a while. Any advice?
Play Care 03:02 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by FCCLife:
I have had my current dck's 1.5 years. My dd is newly 5. She started part day preschool and she loves it. When she is home with the daycare kids she has been having anger fits and bossy. She really struggles getting along with one of my dck's off and on everyday and has for the whole 1.5 years. She says she wants to go to the daycare center. then I ask her how she would feel if other kids were here playing with me while she is at the center and she said she would like it because they have toys there. Has anyone done this or experience that and if so how did you do it? I feel maybe she just might be ready to be away from the younger kids and me. I mean she really loves time at preschool. But then if she goes to daycare center I don't know what I will do because the whole reason I do it is to be here for my kids. So lost. Been feeling lost for a while. Any advice?
Will she be going to school (K) next year? Is your K full day?
If it is, then I would try to make special time for your DD when the dc kids are sleeping at nap or in the evenings. If she is going to be away at school all day next year you can always remind her of that.

I see a lot of moms say they started dc to be home, but for the kids it's hard, they're home, but they're not really HOME. All the sudden home becomes WORK with all it's rules and regulations. And then they're sharing mom and maybe their toys, etc.

I almost think better than doing dc (unless it's really working for your family and your kids are happy) is to get a PT job around the kids school and hubby's work schedule. You'd probably make just as much money and your home would be your home.
daycarediva 08:32 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
If it is, then I would try to make special time for your DD when the dc kids are sleeping at nap or in the evenings. If she is going to be away at school all day next year you can always remind her of that.

I see a lot of moms say they started dc to be home, but for the kids it's hard, they're home, but they're not really HOME. All the sudden home becomes WORK with all it's rules and regulations. And then they're sharing mom and maybe their toys, etc.

I almost think better than doing dc (unless it's really working for your family and your kids are happy) is to get a PT job around the kids school and hubby's work schedule. You'd probably make just as much money and your home would be your home.
I agree, unless you're doing daycare long term, it's easier for kids to not share home/mom.

I would call a spade a spade though- her behavior is out of line at that age. How old is the oldest child in your care? Does she have any daycare friends? Would you be willing to change up your group to get her one child her age there?
daycare 08:40 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I agree, unless you're doing daycare long term, it's easier for kids to not share home/mom.

I would call a spade a spade though- her behavior is out of line at that age. How old is the oldest child in your care? Does she have any daycare friends? Would you be willing to change up your group to get her one child her age there?
this is exactly what I was thinking after I read it. It sounds like she may need a friend her age to play with at DC.

I think about it this way. I am over 40 and if I had to hang out with people in their 20's all day I am sure I would not be thrilled about having to do it.

Although the kids age gap is not as wide as what I stated above, it is similar to children in toddler vs preschool years. the maturity span is so wide.

I would try to see if I could make room for a child closer in her age group. Maybe talk to one of the parents at her preschool to see if they need care after preschool is over.

My son is 8 with the next child being 6. he still plays well with them, but he also has a lot of after school activities that keep him super busy, so he is only here for about 2hours of our full day.

I might also think about a reward chart that if she is good all day that night she will get a special treat like playing a game with mom or dad, or getting 15 mins of additional reading at night with you or dad. something like that.
FCCLife 10:12 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

Her kindergarten will be full day next year
FCCLife 10:24 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I am a military provider and so with moves have done fcc off and on for over 7 years but never thought I'd still be doing it. I have a ds who is 9 and he loves the daycare... But he is also older so he gets to do his own thing. And I have my 5yo dd. I currently have a 4yo dcg and a 18m dcg whom are siblings. The 4yo old is the one who she butts heads with. My dd has a hard time sharing me a lot because if my dd does something with me then dcg has to have it or do it too and I think that might be part of where the problem is. She has no problem with the baby at all even if I'm holding her.
FCCLife 10:36 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
this is exactly what I was thinking after I read it. It sounds like she may need a friend her age to play with at DC.

I think about it this way. I am over 40 and if I had to hang out with people in their 20's all day I am sure I would not be thrilled about having to do it.

Although the kids age gap is not as wide as what I stated above, it is similar to children in toddler vs preschool years. the maturity span is so wide.

I would try to see if I could make room for a child closer in her age group. Maybe talk to one of the parents at her preschool to see if they need care after preschool is over.

My son is 8 with the next child being 6. he still plays well with them, but he also has a lot of after school activities that keep him super busy, so he is only here for about 2hours of our full day.

I might also think about a reward chart that if she is good all day that night she will get a special treat like playing a game with mom or dad, or getting 15 mins of additional reading at night with you or dad. something like that.
Reward chart might be a good idea. Thank you. She does crave that one on one at night and I admit some nights I'm so tired I don't always give her that time
FCCLife 10:48 AM 10-20-2015
Maybe I don't have enough going on for them to keep busy. I mean they play nonstop they are never twiddling thumbs but not organized play all day. We have a lot of free play in between activities because I don't have a lot of kids. Or maybe I just need more dck to keep everyone busy. I dunno. I don't know whether to try to take on more which would probably be infant toddler age or just move on completely. Never been so torn. Have debated this for months
Ariana 10:57 AM 10-20-2015
I think what might be happening is that she has made new friends. I had this happen with a DCG I took care of for 3.5 years. When she was at my house she was never bored, seemed to enjoy herself and had fun but then she would go home and complain to her mom that she was bored with all the "little kids". Her mom started sending electronics with her, which I allowed since she was so much older but she never once played with them. She was always playing with the younger kids and having fun. Anyway it turned out that she had a friend at another daycare that she wanted to be with. The mom ended up switching them over to this new daycare (which worked out perfectly for me as I was going to take time off). So it sounds similar. Your child just has some new friends that she wants to hang out with!

I agree that switching things up at your house might help. It will be tricky though because you will need someone that she likes!!
Reply Up