Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fee/Schedule Question
daycarediva 04:14 AM 09-12-2012
For those who offer a FT discount, can you tell me what you do when a PT kid wants an additional day (for a parent appt, etc)

I changed my contract months ago, but this hasn't come up since. I used to do a flat daily rate, but everyone paid based on contract. (so if you contracted for 5 you paid for 5 even if you came 1.) FT rate is $175/w but PT kids were still at $35/day. I now have a rate scale, 5 days is still $175/$35 day but 4 days is $160/$40 day, three days is $135 or $45, and I don't take PT placements under 3 days a week. My drop in rate is $50/day. I have a kid interviewing for 4-5 days per week. Mom wants to sign for 4, and then add the additional 5 as needed for work. I want to say that it would be $175 for the weeks she works 5, but a provider friend charges her drop in rate for the PT kids who 'drop in' an extra day. What do you think?
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:55 AM 09-12-2012
I would charge her a full time spot. You can't schedule anyone around a changing one day off! She needs a FT spot!
daycarediva 05:56 AM 09-12-2012
I can try to suggest that, the difference is $15 so it's not a HUGE amount. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if she declined it though, good family and good kid that I think will work out great.
lovemykidstoo 06:01 AM 09-12-2012
I would charger her the FT rate of $175.00.
itlw8 06:37 AM 09-12-2012
I disagree she does not get the f/t rate for 5 days if she takes 4 days at a lower rate. Her way she is not paying for an extra day when she needs 5 days she is paying for less days when she need 4.

assuming her 4 days are set days. then the 5th day is at the higher p/t rate so the total for the week is MORE than the f/t rate.

Tom said in a class once Less work is more money meaning you carge more for p/t

If her 5th day rotates she has to pay the f/t rate every week.

she can not count you will have room on that 5th day if she does not pay for it weekly.

My p/t rate is 3 set days. it is high enough that if they need 4 days it is the same as f/t so the 5th day is theirs every week if they want it.
lovemykidstoo 06:47 AM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I disagree she does not get the f/t rate for 5 days if she takes 4 days at a lower rate. Her way she is not paying for an extra day when she needs 5 days she is paying for less days when she need 4.

assuming her 4 days are set days. then the 5th day is at the higher p/t rate so the total for the week is MORE than the f/t rate.

Tom said in a class once Less work is more money meaning you carge more for p/t

If her 5th day rotates she has to pay the f/t rate every week.

she can not count you will have room on that 5th day if she does not pay for it weekly.

My p/t rate is 3 set days. it is high enough that if they need 4 days it is the same as f/t so the 5th day is theirs every week if they want it.

good points.

I guess it would depend on how many times she needs that extra day. I would tell her maybe that the ONE time you would charge her the weekly rate with an extra $15, but if she's going to need that randomly then suggest that she might want to pay the full time rate all of the time regardless and that way she's guaranteed a spot if she needs it.

If she refuses that, then tell her that an extra day will be $35. You would like to give her a bigger discount, but that wouldn't be fair to your FT customers.
momma2girls 07:16 AM 09-12-2012
Here is what I have gone to- Part-tie is $35.00 per day- 3 day min.
Full time is $140.00 per week
Meyou 08:03 AM 09-12-2012
I let any family that is contracted for less than 5 days per week add their extra days at my higher drop in rate. My rational is that I want guaranteed income and a set schedule Extra days are not something I can count on and I can't plan for them so the extra is for short notice.
daycarediva 08:04 AM 09-12-2012
It doesn't seem to be a regular need, more like if there is a deadline at work and she will need Friday/FT for 2-3 weeks and then nothing for 2-3+ months. (if that helps clarify) Her four days are set M-Th.

I am just thankful that she was upfront with it instead of writing me a check for $175 and saying "Oh he will be here Friday too"
MNMum 08:22 AM 09-12-2012
I have a lot of parttimers and a similar breakdown to your fee schedule. I would contract her for 4 days M-Th for $160. If she wanted to add in Friday, she would be charged the drop in amount for that. Now your drop in amount is $50, so you could charge her an additional amount. However, I would probably charge her an additional $40 and find a "happy medium". She's a regular client so it is not as much work to add her child to your day. I wouldn't allow her to just pay the FT rate though. In my eyes, that would be like allowing a FT kid to take days off and not have to pay for them fully. What it really comes down to, though, is what you are comfortable doing.
EchoMom 09:38 AM 09-12-2012
My FT is $150/week but the PT is $35/day. If someone is PT for 4 days it comes out to $140, they are only saving $10/week. If they add a fifth day it is still at that $35/day price so it would end up being $175 and therefore more than the FT rate. So it is in their best interest if they think they will often need to add a fifth day, just take the FT rate always because it ends up the better deal for them.
Reply Up