Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Infants & Water
BumbleBee 06:08 AM 11-14-2013
Dcm didn't have enough breast milk for dck oatmeal today. Dck is 6.5 months old. Dcm sent water (not tap, steam distilled) and pureed fruit to mix w/the oatmeal. The oatmeal is Gerber baby cereal. I've always heard no water for infants. I've never researched it though.

Anyways, baby will be getting 3oz of water today spread out over 3 oatmeal feedings. Do I need to be concerned?

TIA!

ETA: Baby started solids at 4 months.
Unregistered 06:28 AM 11-14-2013
You are mixing it in the cereal? I think that would be fine. I have used water to mix for infants, but always nursery water. I don't really use tap for drinking or cooking much at all.

You'll be fine.
Unregistered 06:32 AM 11-14-2013
Infants can't drink water before 6 months. Mixing it with cereal is fine. Formula needs water (not tap). It is safe to use it for the cereal!
itlw8 06:37 AM 11-14-2013
back in the 50's and 60's they used to give water between feedings to hold the baby until time to eat... then it was sips of water. like anything parents overdid so baby had WAY too much water and not the nutrients from Breast Milk or formula.

Now you can not serve well water with out boiling but if you are on city water it is fine to mix with cereal no worries at all.
Willow 07:22 AM 11-14-2013
It's fine.

Foods before they hit 12 months of age are just for fun. As long as baby is taking his normal bottle feeds it doesnt matter what you mix the oatmeal with.

(Tap water is fine, tap water from a tested well is even better as city water is contaminated with so much junk it would make peoples heads spin.....babies survive everyday with out bottled, steam distilled, specially designated nursery water, and have for generations upon generations before them. It's a marketing gimmick, nothing more )
Willow 07:28 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
back in the 50's and 60's they used to give water between feedings to hold the baby until time to eat... then it was sips of water. like anything parents overdid so baby had WAY too much water and not the nutrients from Breast Milk or formula.

Now you can not serve well water with out boiling but if you are on city water it is fine to mix with cereal no worries at all.

That is the weirdest thing I've heard in a long time, is that really a reg you have to follow or just your personal preference?? There is no such stipulation in my state. I have our well tested annually and have NEVER been asked about boiling water before I use it, for anybody!

City water contains clorine, mercury, lead, arsenic, aluminum, benzene, asbestos and pesticides just to name a short list.....why do you think it's safer than well water?
BumbleBee 08:40 AM 11-14-2013
Thank you. Yes I am mixing it with the cereal. Mom sent the water so that's what I use.

Thanks again!
itlw8 10:47 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
That is the weirdest thing I've heard in a long time, is that really a reg you have to follow or just your personal preference?? There is no such stipulation in my state. I have our well tested annually and have NEVER been asked about boiling water before I use it, for anybody!

City water contains clorine, mercury, lead, arsenic, aluminum, benzene, asbestos and pesticides just to name a short list.....why do you think it's safer than well water?
I suppose it depends on your city and state then. around here city water is tested and they send out the reports ours is great... and it is from a well.

The private well thing was from a dr not the licensing... Private wells around here are tested only 1x a year if that live on a farm?? farms around.. you never know what is in it so dr said take your own water or boil it. If it is your well I assume you would test ir regularly Why would a city water contain all those things but a private well would not???? If my city water contained those things believe me I would throw up a stink. and yes I read the report on the water every year
renodeb 10:52 AM 11-14-2013
No you shouldn't be to concerned. As far as I know they are saying no water as a beverage until after 6 months. I might caution that mom against the distilled water as it may cause the baby to be deficient in some minerals.
Angelsj 11:21 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Infants can't drink water before 6 months.
I am fairly certain they CAN drink water before 6 months, it just isn't highly recommended.
Willow 11:28 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I suppose it depends on your city and state then. around here city water is tested and they send out the reports ours is great... and it is from a well.

The private well thing was from a dr not the licensing... Private wells around here are tested only 1x a year if that live on a farm?? farms around.. you never know what is in it so dr said take your own water or boil it. If it is your well I assume you would test ir regularly Why would a city water contain all those things but a private well would not???? If my city water contained those things believe me I would throw up a stink. and yes I read the report on the water every year
City water is treated/reused/recycled water that residents are supplied with from water treatment plants. What comes out of lakes/rivers (that can be polluted in numerous ways), goes down your sinks, toilets, and runoff from sewer drains gets filtered though those waste water treatment plants where it's then stored in water holding ponds/tanks until all the chemicals can turn it safe to drink again at which point they send it back through to your home pipes. Thats why all of those chemicals are found in it. Water reports may be labeled safe, but that only means the levels of those chemicals are low enough to be considered acceptable. Not because there isn't any in it at all.

Private wells/well water is simply fresh rain water that filters down through the ground. Sure it picks up minerals and such but it's nothing you should ever have to boil. As long as you have an proper well dug and have it tested annually you bet I think it's safer than city water.

City water on the other hand frequently will put out "do not drink" or "boil only" orders.
Blackcat31 12:49 PM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
City water is treated/reused/recycled water that residents are supplied with from water treatment plants. What comes out of lakes/rivers (that can be polluted in numerous ways), goes down your sinks, toilets, and runoff from sewer drains gets filtered though those waste water treatment plants where it's then stored in water holding ponds/tanks until all the chemicals can turn it safe to drink again at which point they send it back through to your home pipes. Thats why all of those chemicals are found in it. Water reports may be labeled safe, but that only means the levels of those chemicals are low enough to be considered acceptable. Not because there isn't any in it at all.

Private wells/well water is simply fresh rain water that filters down through the ground. Sure it picks up minerals and such but it's nothing you should ever have to boil. As long as you have an proper well dug and have it tested annually you bet I think it's safer than city water.

City water on the other hand frequently will put out "do not drink" or "boil only" orders.
My daycare is on city water. (I have well water at home)

Every sink and tub/toilet I have at daycare is stained blue from fluoride.

Eww!!

I much prefer the taste of my well water at home. Pure, clean and NO additives....you know, like water should be.
Willow 01:44 PM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My daycare is on city water. (I have well water at home)

Every sink and tub/toilet I have at daycare is stained blue from fluoride.

Eww!!

I much prefer the taste of my well water at home. Pure, clean and NO additives....you know, like water should be.
You know the city I lived in before I moved up north a smidge more......I lived at the end of a culdesac, backed up to an open field and about 300 or so yards from the house were the city's water holding ponds. I used to walk past them taking the dogs back to the nature preserve and saw what was in them. Several times a year they would "agitate" the bottoms to stir up all the "solids" and add more chemicals. We literally couldn't go outside for a couple of days because it would smell so bad.

Ignorance WAS bliss.

I couldn't drink or cook in anything that came out of the tap after that. Got set up with Culligans home delivery service until I moved into a house that had well water again. It's hard, but at least I know there weren't dirty diapers and tampons floating in it at one point........

I avoid drinking city tap water at all cost and have my children do the same.
Tags:infant - meals, water consumtion
Reply Up