Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Back Is Best.....Until How Old?
MsMe 12:11 PM 01-26-2012
I have a 9.5 month old DCG who has in the last two months been wanting to sleep on her stomach.

I use a sleep sack, proper crib, and ALWAYS back to sleep.

In all the talk on this subject I can't remember hearing when it is safe to allow them on their tummies? She flips over every time, thankfully she has learned to sleep through me flipping her back! What age is it OK to allow them to sleep as they want?
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 01-26-2012
I think once they know how to turn over themselves there isn't much you can do beside keep a close eye on them.
wdmmom 12:14 PM 01-26-2012
I agree with Blackcat. I've also been told not to flip them back over.
MsMe 12:21 PM 01-26-2012
Thank you!
SilverSabre25 12:21 PM 01-26-2012
I have always heard that once they can flip themselves over that it is best to allow them to sleep in whatever position they adopt. You're always supposed to lay them down on their back, and then let them go from there.
laundrymom 12:24 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I have always heard that once they can flip themselves over that it is best to allow them to sleep in whatever position they adopt. You're always supposed to lay them down on their back, and then let them go from there.

MyAngels 12:29 PM 01-26-2012
I'm probably too cautious - based on the other responses - but I will flip them back onto their backs unless they are able to do that themselves. I've had quite a few babies that could get themselves onto their tummies, but it took a bit of time before they were able to get themselves back onto their back once they flipped.
kidkair 12:35 PM 01-26-2012
I agree with you and flip kids back to their back until they can roll back to belly and belly to back with ease.
familyschoolcare 12:42 PM 01-26-2012
About it being safe once they can flip themselves on to thier back. Someone here posted that the first few weeks that they flip themselves over is the most dangerous time for tummy sleeping.
MsMe 12:57 PM 01-26-2012
Thanks for all the responces!

She is a really strong baby, and can flip and move in all directions. I will (as always) continue to keep a close eye on her.

She has a lot of snot today (all clear--no fever)what possition do you think is best for a snotty baby?

She is currently sleeping n her tummy with her knees pulled up under her
Heidi 05:14 PM 01-26-2012
Once she can comfortably flip back and forth, she chooses. Stop bugging her! lol

Every infant I know chooses tummy, rear in the air once they can! It suits the shape of their little bodies....

SIDS is most common in age 2-4 months, and very unlikely after 6 months of age.
momma2girls 05:44 PM 01-26-2012
It is correct- when babies are strong enough to roll over, they say it is safe. It still doesn't make it any easier on us. I have a 4 month old right now, that rolls over already. She can lift her head really good already. I will turn her back over, and she flips right back.
Cat Herder 08:15 AM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Once she can comfortably flip back and forth, she chooses. Stop bugging her! lol

Every infant I know chooses tummy, rear in the air once they can! It suits the shape of their little bodies....

SIDS is most common in age 2-4 months, and very unlikely after 6 months of age.
This is how I do it, too......
MsMe 10:27 AM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
This is how I do it, too......
Thanks! I know if you Catherder recomened this, I can count on it!
Heidi 11:24 AM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
Thanks! I know if you Catherder recomened this, I can count on it!
indeed!
REWALKER04 11:30 AM 01-27-2012
once a child can flip themselves its fine! you do not have to go and flip them over back to there backs. I learned that in my certification courses so I know its right. You just have to lay them on there back to start of with.
Unregistered 07:01 PM 01-27-2012
dont forget bedding or lack of is important too. make sure the surface isnt too soft, I would think even though they can turn over, this is still dangerous.
Unregistered 12:58 PM 01-28-2012
Rule of thumb: IF THEY can roll over themselves....they are safe.
Tags:sleep - on back, sleeping positions
Reply Up