Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Soiled Diapers
williams2008 08:46 AM 12-13-2012
I have at least two parents who I seem to think just put their kids on diapers and never go back to change them. On separate occasions I have had kids to come with their diapers so soiled that their clothes are wet. I have talked to the dcps about making sure the dcks have on clean diapers when they arrive, but that doesn't seem to be working. I have to initiate something else, any ideas on what to do?
Blackcat31 08:58 AM 12-13-2012
Immediate diaper checks upon arrival. Sounds funny but a little feeling of the middle of the diaper tells you right away if it is squishy or needing to be changed.

If you find a child needing to be changed, say "Oh Oh mom, looks like Timmy's diaper is full and will never make it until our first round of diaper changes so would you mind changing him real quick before you go? Thanks, here are the wet wipes and his diapers."

One would hope, think, assume that after being called out on it a few times, they will make sure the child is arriving in a fresh diaper.
wdmmom 08:58 AM 12-13-2012
I have it in my contract that children must come in READY for the day. This means dressed, diapers changed and babies given their first bottle.

Check their diaper at the door. If they haven't been changed, send them out to fix the issue. It should only take once!
williams2008 09:12 AM 12-13-2012
Thanks for suggestions!!!
DBug 04:08 PM 12-13-2012
Yep, I agree with the others -- I have a change pad, spare diapers, wipes and hand sanitizer strategically placed near the daycare entrance. If a child arrives with a messy diaper, I just say `No problem, help yourself!`with a big grin . The parents can just lay their child right down in the entranceway and change them there, no need to remove their shoes or anything.

The parents that have had to do that, have only had to do it once to get the idea .
Mom&Provider 07:56 AM 12-14-2012
I've only had this happen once, but the child was also ill and I should never have accepted him into care. He arrived in his pj's with DCM telling me that she had pulled him out of bed to come here. It never happened again since I did call DCM just an hour later asking her to come and pick-up her son since he was to ill to take part.

I also have in my contract that children must be ready for the day...I just need to enforce it better AT drop off!

How far do these families live from you? I ask because when I took my son to daycare it was an hour away (closer to where I worked vs our home) and he would sometimes get pretty wet on the car ride over there depending on how much he had for breakfast, but I always said something and offered to change him right there.
williams2008 12:10 PM 12-14-2012
Originally Posted by Mom&Provider:
I've only had this happen once, but the child was also ill and I should never have accepted him into care. He arrived in his pj's with DCM telling me that she had pulled him out of bed to come here. It never happened again since I did call DCM just an hour later asking her to come and pick-up her son since he was to ill to take part.

I also have in my contract that children must be ready for the day...I just need to enforce it better AT drop off!

How far do these families live from you? I ask because when I took my son to daycare it was an hour away (closer to where I worked vs our home) and he would sometimes get pretty wet on the car ride over there depending on how much he had for breakfast, but I always said something and offered to change him right there.
They don't live very far...maybe 7 minutes away if that far. I have had dcps to say you may wanna check so and so diaper he/she had a bowel movement on the way over
williams2008 12:12 PM 12-14-2012
Originally Posted by DBug:
Yep, I agree with the others -- I have a change pad, spare diapers, wipes and hand sanitizer strategically placed near the daycare entrance. If a child arrives with a messy diaper, I just say `No problem, help yourself!`with a big grin . The parents can just lay their child right down in the entranceway and change them there, no need to remove their shoes or anything.

The parents that have had to do that, have only had to do it once to get the idea .
I may need that type of set-up along with a note
cheerfuldom 01:24 PM 12-14-2012
I have never had this issue....I seem to have the other extreme with parents wanting their child change the instant one drop of pee comes out. They dont bring their kids in sopping wet diapers.
cheerfuldom 01:26 PM 12-14-2012
oh but i did have one mom at my church admit that she dresses her kids in fleece jammies so that when the diaper is full, the fleece absorbs spillage from the diapers. I think she only changed once every 8 hours...no joke! her kids smelled all the time.
Crystal 01:38 PM 12-14-2012
I would just change the diaper and go about my day. It's a quick minute change a diaper. Parents are typically rushed in the A.M. so I undertsand the occasional wet or poopy diaper. And, kids can and do go on the way to daycare,even if it is only a few minutes away from home.
Patches 12:58 PM 12-16-2012
As a parent, whenever I would bring my child in and I know they BMed in the car, when the provider would try to take him from me I would say, "hang on, I need to change him real quick" and help myself to her changing table. Usually, she would offer to change him for me which I appreciate, but I felt like I should do it myself if I had the time. There have been a couple times I have been running late and didn't have time to stop and change a diaper.

As a provider, whenever a parent comes to drop off and says that they need changed I always offer to change them. Sometimes the parents take care of it, sometimes they don't.

Now, I've seen a couple sitations where it happens EVERY DAY and that's an entirely different story. That's just a parent taking advantage of you. It's not ok to bring your child in wearing their overnight diaper every morning because "they can just take care of it at daycare" I would be embarrased as a parent to do that.
MamaG 01:21 PM 12-16-2012
I also require that children be ready for the day. I don't leave a diaper just because mom will be here soon, I expect the same respect back. I had a dcd drop off 2 year old repeatedly in pjs. Well we went about our day, field trip and all! Her in her pjs. After a few times he dressed her, guess he didn't want to explain why the pjs in all our photos. I always take tons of pictures and put on Facebook for the parents. If kids aren't ready to go you can turn them away at the door if you have to.
MamaG 01:28 PM 12-16-2012
Originally Posted by miss_kristle:
As a parent, whenever I would bring my child in and I know they BMed in the car, when the provider would try to take him from me I would say, "hang on, I need to change him real quick" and help myself to her changing table. Usually, she would offer to change him for me which I appreciate, but I felt like I should do it myself if I had the time. There have been a couple times I have been running late and didn't have time to stop and change a diaper.

As a provider, whenever a parent comes to drop off and says that they need changed I always offer to change them. Sometimes the parents take care of it, sometimes they don't.

Now, I've seen a couple sitations where it happens EVERY DAY and that's an entirely different story. That's just a parent taking advantage of you. It's not ok to bring your child in wearing their overnight diaper every morning because "they can just take care of it at daycare" I would be embarrased as a parent to do that.
Amen!! I don't mind changing a diaper at drop off, I do it all day. But if its a swollen dripping mess they need new clothes to boot. I have a good sence of smell I can't stand peepee smelling kids!
williams2008 04:50 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I would just change the diaper and go about my day. It's a quick minute change a diaper. Parents are typically rushed in the A.M. so I undertsand the occasional wet or poopy diaper. And, kids can and do go on the way to daycare,even if it is only a few minutes away from home.
I don't mind changing them. The problem I have is when their diaper is so wet that their pants are soaked from it , that is a major problem for me.
williams2008 04:52 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
oh but i did have one mom at my church admit that she dresses her kids in fleece jammies so that when the diaper is full, the fleece absorbs spillage from the diapers. I think she only changed once every 8 hours...no joke! her kids smelled all the time.
O my gosh!
momma2girls 10:05 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I have it in my contract that children must come in READY for the day. This means dressed, diapers changed and babies given their first bottle.

Check their diaper at the door. If they haven't been changed, send them out to fix the issue. It should only take once!
I have the same thing in my contract. If they continued to do it, I would hand them a new diaper and baby wipes beofre they leave.
Tags:soiled, soiled diapers
Reply Up