Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shutting Down My Day Home, Help Me Decide Which Month Please?
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:48 AM 05-07-2015
So I have decided to go to medical college, and I have a choice on when I can start.

I was thinking about how I can make it easier on my families to find new child care, so I was wondering which month would you choose to close?

Close at the end of July, so they have a month to find care before school starts or the end of September after school starts?

I am also feeling extreamly guilty about doing this and I feel I am letting down all of these families.
Some of my families are fairly new here.

I am at the point in my life that my children are almost grown and I can finally go back to school.

I have been doing daycare for 10 yrs and Im done!
Unregistered 08:58 AM 05-07-2015
Honestly, do what works best for you. I recently gave my families notice that I am closing at the end of July, because I thought I was close to them and felt I owed it to them to give them notice in advance. Now that's come to bite me in the butt, even though we are moving out of state, the families are doing what's best for them and looking asap for a new provider, instead of staying until I close. Most of them have been quite cold with me, and it's just awkward. I realize I wasn't as close with them as I thought, I wish I would have given them shorter notice. I guess what I am trying to say is that you shouldn't be taking their needs into consideration, they likely don't care about yours, and that doesn't effect your future. You need to do what is best for you and your family.
rosieteddy 09:23 AM 05-07-2015
I had to close with no notice .I had a heart attack on thursday Feb 19th.Luckily it was a vacation week so no children were here. My daughters informed the clients that I was in the hospital.I used a week of sick time and had to close. I chose to just retire as I was up for reliscensung this May.I felt that the parents had all found alternate care and I did not want to mess the kids up . The point is I would only give two weeks notice maybe in August.
childcaremom 09:26 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
So I have decided to go to medical college, and I have a choice on when I can start.

I was thinking about how I can make it easier on my families to find new child care, so I was wondering which month would you choose to close?

Close at the end of July, so they have a month to find care before school starts or the end of September after school starts?

I am also feeling extreamly guilty about doing this and I feel I am letting down all of these families.

I am at the point in my life that my children are almost grown and I can finally go back to school.

I would do what works best for you and your family. When I closed down last year, I closed in June. I had 2 weeks to myself to decompress and clean stuff out. Then I had the summer with my kids before going back to work in September.
AmyKidsCo 09:33 AM 05-07-2015
If it's all the same to you, July is as good a time as any. Letting them know now gives them plenty of time to find new care, and you'll get some time off before fall classes start.
spinnymarie 11:47 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by amykidsco:
if it's all the same to you, july is as good a time as any. Letting them know now gives them plenty of time to find new care, and you'll get some time off before fall classes start.
ita
VTMom 12:06 PM 05-07-2015
I have a little different perspective. I don't see it as a lack of friendship or loyalty necessarily. Quality childcare can be really hard to find, especially in my area. If you can get a spot, you really need to grab it before it's taken.

I've avoided posting this here because I expected to get yelled at but I gave notice that I'm closing at the end of this July way back in September! Most of my families have at two kids with me, making it that much harder to find childcare. I also had 2 infants. 2 A/S kids left immediately, but that's it. It wasn't until these past couple of weeks that my families have been able to secure care for their kids. I know it's hard. That's one of the reasons I started doing daycare.

Would I have given such a long notice if I had to do it over again? Nope. I should have given 2 months with the reasoning I stated before. It's a weird range of emotions. I'm excited to be done, but it does feel weird when someone leaves. Like I'm being rejected. But they need to do what's best for them as do I.

So you need to do what's best for you. Good luck. This really sounds like an exciting change!
Blackcat31 12:55 PM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by VTMom:
I have a little different perspective. I don't see it as a lack of friendship or loyalty necessarily. Quality childcare can be really hard to find, especially in my area. If you can get a spot, you really need to grab it before it's taken.

I've avoided posting this here because I expected to get yelled at but I gave notice that I'm closing at the end of this July way back in September! Most of my families have at two kids with me, making it that much harder to find childcare. I also had 2 infants. 2 A/S kids left immediately, but that's it. It wasn't until these past couple of weeks that my families have been able to secure care for their kids. I know it's hard. That's one of the reasons I started doing daycare.

Would I have given such a long notice if I had to do it over again? Nope. I should have given 2 months with the reasoning I stated before. It's a weird range of emotions. I'm excited to be done, but it does feel weird when someone leaves. Like I'm being rejected. But they need to do what's best for them as do I.

So you need to do what's best for you. Good luck. This really sounds like an exciting change!

Mom2TLE 01:51 PM 05-07-2015
I'm going to be closing my daycare (after 9+ years) the end of December to go to school for nursing. I will not tell them until December 1st I know that it's everyone for themselves and no one is going to care if I am out a months pay if I tell them too soon.
In your case I would choose the one that works best for YOU not your families. If you need income up until the end of September that's what I would do. If not than the end of July gives you some down time before starting school.
What about the end of August? Right in the middle? The month of August is about when I am enrolling new kids to replace school agers and Kindergartners going off to school.
Unregistered 02:57 PM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:

I am in your exact position. Don't feel guilty. They wouldn't feel that way quitting services. I would do it at the latest I possibly could in order to keep my income as needed. What does your policy say?
mrsp'slilpeeps 03:31 PM 05-07-2015
my policy says 2 weeks, but I think that I will give them a full month.
Tags:closing daycare, closing daycare - how to
Reply Up