Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had Anything Shocked You?
dreamer 11:32 PM 01-24-2019
What are some unexpected things you’ve encountered as a daycare provider?
DaveA 03:41 AM 01-25-2019
That the parents will be the hard part of the job.
Ms.Kay 03:48 AM 01-25-2019
Parents who decide to have kids... and really dont want to spend any time with them!!
amberrose3dg 04:26 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
Parents who decide to have kids... and really dont want to spend any time with them!!
This!
I had no idea how many parents would be dropping off to have me time on a weekly basis. Then kids eventually go through emotional times and parents are like I do not know why he cries all the time.
I know we get paid so we should be quiet but I cannot help but notice that the damage it does to the kids.
Annalee 04:29 AM 01-25-2019
the stressors that come EVERY DAY with this job have surprised me...i.e. expectations from so many departments, doing my taxes correctly, dealing with the public, on and on and on.......When I opened in 1992, I think I was more naive and didn't realize the long-term effects of some of these issues. But too far in to turn back now and continually pray for the best!
Ac114 04:32 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
I agree with this!

Also the fact that so many parents don’t consider that daycare is also considered a bill and that needs paid on time every single week. They act like they can just pay whenever.
Ariana 07:02 AM 01-25-2019
The boredom, oh God the boredom!!!
Snowmom 07:16 AM 01-25-2019
That I would become a germaphobe.
Rockgirl 07:23 AM 01-25-2019
The volume of poop I would be dealing with.
MyAngels 08:07 AM 01-25-2019
The 4 year old that cussed like a sailor - one of my 1st kids and only term in over 25 years.

The child that brought his parent's old cell phone with nude pictures on it .

The 3 year old that brought a backpack filled with random stuff, including what I think was a bong (not 100% sure, as I've never used or seen one, prude that I am ).
Cat Herder 08:15 AM 01-25-2019
The extreme lack of comprehension and reading ability from supposedly educated adults.

That I did not see coming.
Kimskiddos 08:16 AM 01-25-2019
I once had a POS dcd, he was very immature. I got butt dialed by him (voicemail) it was all vile, abusive, poor me language he was screaming directed at I'm assuming his wife. She was going through cancer treatments at the time. Happily I didn't have to deal with him much longer. She divorced him and they moved away.
Blackcat31 08:24 AM 01-25-2019

That almost all parents can lie with a perfectly straight face.

To never just open picture attachments a DCP sends via text message. Some things can not be unseen. (nudie pix)

The profession a parent is in DIRECTLY corresponds with the type of client and parent they are.

I don't like taking parents that work in the counseling, psychology or therapist field.

I don't like taking teacher's kids

I don't like taking kids of doctors and/or nurses.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 01-25-2019
Oh and that "Dear Parents" is almost always responded to with "Does that mean me/us too?"
hwichlaz 08:43 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

To never just open picture attachments a DCP sends via text message. Some things can not be unseen. (nudie pix)

The profession a parent is in DIRECTLY corresponds with the type of client and parent they are.

I don't like taking parents that work in the counseling, psychology or therapist field.

My teachers have been great except the not wanting to pay in summer part. I just unenroll them and fill their spots.

Hate taking nurses kids, doctors are so bad. Nurses want a detailed chart kept....input and output, and they expect feedings to be scheduled like they are medications. :P

I love having cops kids, they are ALL about following rules and regs.
Snowmom 08:51 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:

Really?
I have a fairly new cop family enrolled and they are pushing nearly every policy I have. Maybe I'm just unlucky... never had one before. Nice family.... just tests my beotch abilities.
Kid is sweet but only 13 months old.

I do agree about nurses, Dr's and teachers. I will take teachers but only after running through each and every policy with them...twice.
jenboo 09:03 AM 01-25-2019
My teachers have been great except the not wanting to pay in summer part. I just unenroll them and fill their spots.

Hate taking nurses kids, doctors are so bad. Nurses want a detailed chart kept....input and output, and they expect feedings to be scheduled like they are medications. :P

My best families have been a police officer dad and a firefighter dad.

How dumb parents are.
Annalee 09:34 AM 01-25-2019

The only "cuss-out" I ever had came from a family with a cop as the dad and a cdc nurse as the mom. They wanted to do as they pleased with every rule.

I had to get the the supervisor from licensing and another cop to help me out as they lived just up the road from and caused me alot of grief. My sons were on WIC at the time and I had to get the health dept staff to almost usher me in and out because of the loud-mouth nurse parent. I want ever forget it!
Josiegirl 09:40 AM 01-25-2019
I guess my main thing is parents who choose to be parents but then give up their responsibility for everyone else to take over. Being a parent of young children gave me such joy; sure there were challenges but never did I expect other adults to take over that entire role for me.
e.j. 10:31 AM 01-25-2019
I tend to be a rule follower so for me, the biggest shock was how hard I'd have to work at getting grown adults to respect and follow my policies. I've also been surprised at how much time and effort I spend on my business at night, on weekends and during vacation. I'm constantly doing something day care related - catching up on paperwork, updating my parent handbook, curriculum planning, cleaning, shopping, interviews, repairs, etc.
amberrose3dg 11:11 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Yes teachers expect special treatment and do not want to pay for a second their kids aren't here. I had it happen with like several families. They also think their jobs are more important and therfore they are better than you.
gumdrops 12:15 PM 01-25-2019
Basically what everyone else has said about parents...they can be so disrespectful! It's no wonder kids act the way they do!
CountryRoads 01:27 PM 01-25-2019
Yes, definitely the parents.

Example:

My daycare is downstairs and everyone walks in through the upstairs and heads down. I have ONE parent that has the decency and respect to take off their snowy, muddy boots before they walk through our house. Every other parent (and some kids) literally walk through our house with snow, dirt, and whatever else on their boots! NEVER would I of thought a parent would have the nerve to do this, let alone several!! I honestly can't wrap my head around it. It's incredibly disrespectful.

And of course there's the late pick ups, leaving child here ALL day when parent isn't working, passive aggressive remarks, sending sick kids, agreeing to policies then getting angry when I enforce them. The list goes on and on.
Mom2Two 01:38 PM 01-25-2019
ITA about teacher and nurses' kids. I think the teachers unconsciously expect to treat me like public schools get treated--as though we have the same rules. Yes, I'm licensed by the state...but this is my own home and my own business. I make the rules and they are not going to match what happens at school!!!!

I have been surprised that many, many parents do not care at all if they send their potty training kid in underwear, knowing that the kid will pee in my house. I had to implement a "body fluid fee" and when I've reminded parents about this, every. single. parent has said that they'll wait a bit longer before undies.

Apparently they are fine with their kid peeing on my sofa...unless I let them know it's going to cost them $20 a pop. Then suddenly they get all sensitive about it.
BumbleBee 03:13 PM 01-25-2019
How many things daycare gets blamed for.

How many parents think they can pull one over on me.
Lil_Diddle 05:17 PM 01-25-2019
The cost of actually running the daycare. I thought doing it out of my home, I was going to be rolling in dough. It’s not the case, but I am comfortable. And being my own boss has its perks
Lil_Diddle 05:18 PM 01-25-2019
I have to join the concencus that the parents are the biggest stressor.
Msdunny 05:56 PM 01-25-2019
As of tonight? Parents who apparently think i will wait indefinitely for them to decide if they will be choosing my daycare. Hadn’t heard from a parent for several days. In the meantime, another parent called and wanted care, filled out and returned forms, and paid my deposit. When I informed the first parent, he said, “I was just going to call you to tell you we wanted to start with you. How can we work this out?”

Sorry, we can’t.
Silly Songs 07:35 PM 01-25-2019
Parent spilled cocain once at a center I worked. We couldn’t prove who spilled it so we couldn’t do anything.
much_lovee 05:56 AM 01-26-2019
Parents and grandparents that think it’s okay to turn around in my yard. My driveway is 100% straight with nothing blocking views while backing up. Why are you driving through my yard when no one is behind you?! I even had the food program lady driving through it!

Parents that track through the house with their shoes, especially on the carpets. Honestly never thought that would be a problem. I also have some parents let their kids run around with their shoes on and go on my furniture.
Mike 07:27 AM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by DaveA:
That the parents will be the hard part of the job.
Many of the posts after yours prove it.

Luckily for me, since I found this forum first, that won't shock me when I start. I've heard enough stories from many of you to have an idea of what I'm going to be seeing.
springv 09:05 AM 01-26-2019
Parents that think its okay to not sign their kid in/out.
Lil_Diddle 07:33 AM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by much_lovee:
Parents and grandparents that think it’s okay to turn around in my yard. My driveway is 100% straight with nothing blocking views while backing up. Why are you driving through my yard when no one is behind you?! I even had the food program lady driving through it!.
They don’t pull through my yard, but are constantly using my neighbors drive to turn around. My neighbor hasn’t complained, but it drives me insane. I live at the end of an addition, just follow the circle around, it really doesn’t take any longer
amberrose3dg 08:11 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
They don’t pull through my yard, but are constantly using my neighbors drive to turn around. My neighbor hasn’t complained, but it drives me insane. I live at the end of an addition, just follow the circle around, it really doesn’t take any longer
No I just have parents flying down our 15mph subdivision roads and cuss my neighbors out when they were in the wrong! I am pretty sure my neighbors all hate my daycare.
Annalee 09:16 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
No I just have parents flying down our 15mph subdivision roads and cuss my neighbors out when they were in the wrong! I am pretty sure my neighbors all hate my daycare.
I can see why neighbors would hate our daycares with the way people act now. There is no "courteous, just do the right thing" among many people anymore. "SELF" has taken over. and unless providers (or anyone in any other profession) "TELL" people what they expect from them, people will too many times receive the "worst". I don't think only providers can fix that, it is an epidemic!
Gemma 10:41 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by dreamer:
I'm shocked by:
1) The level of disrespect that some parents can reach.

2) The childish excuses and lies parents constantly give us.
3) The many hoops we have to jump to stay licensed.
daycarediva 11:06 AM 01-30-2019
1. parents. How oblivious, downright rude and obnoxious they CAN be. Eg. 2am 'child is sick' text. SERIOUSLY!? The lies omg the lies.

2. Kids- noooo respect. See ^. No model for respect. I haven't in the last 5 years or so, had a kid come in having basic manners, table or otherwise.

3. It's always daycare's fault. Behavior. Bedtimes. Illness.

4. The EXPENSES and wear and tear. I spend a small fortune on maintenance, supplies, food, activities.

5. The stress. Definitely a high stress job.
Hunni Bee 01:21 PM 01-30-2019
The lack of regard some parents have about their kids. When you think of neglected kids, you kind of think of low income. The amount of kids I see with parents who earn six figures who don't have coats, caps, socks, etc. Who never do anything fun on the weekends. The SAHMs who are perfectly ok with their kid missing a field trip because they are "too busy" to sign the form. The kids who never have a parent for Thanksgiving Dinner, holiday parties, Mothers and Fathers day breakfasts because their parents couldn't care less.

I've worked in a disadvantaged area and to see the same things on the opposite end of the spectrum but for different reasons was definitely an eye-opener.
LysesKids 02:22 PM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I actually had a policy about parents respecting the 10mph in my neighborhood (with speed bumps no less); i explained that because of one father who constantly sped thru here in 2015 had almost hit my elderly neighbor because he ran one of only 4 stop signs in the whole place & management of the mobile home community caught it on camera.

I got an earful from them threatening to shut me down if parents didn't respect park rules (private property - they had the right). 1st time was a warning, 2nd time immediate termination... last year,before I closed, was the only time I hadn't termed at least one family for ignoring the fact kids played in streets & that the speed limit was enforced - the one guy actually got ticked by Alcoa police his last day here - speeding thru the park.

The management here doesn't play games when it comes to safety. Police drive thru weekly
loischerry 01:00 PM 01-31-2019
ive worked both in centers and as an assistant in an in home where the boss was not hands on so ive seen my fair share of shocks

parent wise: the best parents are the one who know their lo's are a problem. they always thanked you and always listened intently when you had issues during the day. they backed you up, paid on time, with little complaints. its a tie for worst parent between the golden spoon parent and the stay at home dad parent. those parents born with a golden spoon in their mouths literally treat you like the help from 1950. they dont care what you have to say or how their lo acted or how their day went or anything. they dont even look at art/paperwork before throwing it in the trashcan on the way out. they fight over payment for the 3 holidays that was contracted to pay. every other week they are trying "new things" sleep training ,no gluten, adkins diet etc and expected us to change everything around for their lo's new fad that would last the week and thats it. on the other hand stay at home dad always brought his lo's early no matter what and picked up late. hardly ever dresses lo or changes their night diaper. brings them with carnation shakes in their sippys, never prepared always forgetting outside gear and sometimes clothes, always paid late. then hangs out FOREVER.

payments: if the dcf was on state help its amazed me how many of them would think that care was fully paid by the $1.50/hr the state paid.

kids: poop. at one time it shocked me how many kids would stick their hands down their pants/in their diaper to grab their poop. like it was finger paint.

workers: idek how many coworkers/bosses ive worked with run across who claimed they loved kids but frequently lost their temper/would yell/berate/hit children. the worst was a coworker who brought vodka and pepsi into work everyday in her travel cup. AND how when any one noticed and alerted higher authority how many would STILL keep their jobs, for numbers.
amberrose3dg 04:11 PM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I actually had a policy about parents respecting the 10mph in my neighborhood (with speed bumps no less); i explained that because of one father who constantly sped thru here in 2015 had almost hit my elderly neighbor because he ran one of only 4 stop signs in the whole place & management of the mobile home community caught it on camera.

I got an earful from them threatening to shut me down if parents didn't respect park rules (private property - they had the right). 1st time was a warning, 2nd time immediate termination... last year,before I closed, was the only time I hadn't termed at least one family for ignoring the fact kids played in streets & that the speed limit was enforced - the one guy actually got ticked by Alcoa police his last day here - speeding thru the park.

The management here doesn't play games when it comes to safety. Police drive-thru weekly
Oh yeah we have 3 police officers that live in our development! No matter how many times. I ended up terminating people that I caught speeding. Not worth the headache.
Tags:daycare experiences
Reply Up