Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Whole Milk
maelb05 09:59 AM 02-06-2019
I have a 12 month old in care who just went in for his 12 month checkup. DCM said pediatrician told her the child should be getting no more than 16 ounces of whole milk/day. I am required (by the food program) to offer him a 1/2 cup (4 ounces) with each meal. Breakfast, lunch, and two snacks = 16 ounces just on my time. He also has a bottle after waking in the morning, bottle at dinner and one before bed. So that is 7 bottle a day. That averages out to only offering a little over 2 ounces at a time! Mom said child is in the 14 percentile for weight. He is tall and skinny.
Mom wants to follow what the doctor said, so she told me she has started watering down his milk so he is still getting more fluid, just not as much milk. I told her I can't do that. Do I check with the food program to see if I should/can offer less than a half cup of milk/meal?
Rockgirl 10:14 AM 02-06-2019
Hmm....I’m not required to serve milk at snack. I just have to serve two of the components. I’d double-check with the food program. Otherwise, I’d just do what you’re required to do, and let dcm do what she needs to do.
Cat Herder 10:26 AM 02-06-2019
I agree. Double check.

Milk with breakfast and lunch.
Water or juice with snacks.

That is pretty standard.

Too much milk prevents absorption of iron and displaces other much-needed nutrients with fat and extra calories.
Cat Herder 10:32 AM 02-06-2019
Too much cows milk may be why he is in the 14th percentile.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-mi...-it_1334703.bc
maelb05 10:35 AM 02-06-2019
Okay, just checked! I have never chosen to serve juice to my daycare kids as I know they get plenty of sugars elsewhere. I didn't realize though, that we are able to serve water with snacks. I just thought water was an extra to have available to the kids between meals and snacks. I will serve him water with snacks.
maelb05 10:37 AM 02-06-2019
[quote=Cat Herder;695917]Too much cows milk may be why he is in the 14th percentile.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-mi...-it_1334703.bc[/QUOTE

He was on formula up until he turned one a couple of weeks ago.....
Cat Herder 10:38 AM 02-06-2019
That is what I do. Only water with snacks and make up the dairy component with yogurt and cheeses.

Also, I continue offering formula twice per day (9 and 2, with snacks at 10 and 3) until 24 months. Too many kids are overfed and undernourished.
Cat Herder 10:39 AM 02-06-2019
[quote=maelb05;695919]
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Too much cows milk may be why he is in the 14th percentile.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-mi...-it_1334703.bc[/QUOTE

He was on formula up until he turned one a couple of weeks ago.....
Awesome. I can't tell you how many kids I have had on cows milk at 6 months when they start solids. Some don't understand there is a huge difference, they are concerned about price and assume jar and table foods meet their needs.
Ariana 10:58 AM 02-06-2019
Dairy has been taken out as a food group here in Canada, hopefully other countries follow suit. It is now part of the alternative proteins/meats. Formula or BM and water really should be the drink of choice until 2.
Cat Herder 11:27 AM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Dairy has been taken out as a food group here in Canada, hopefully other countries follow suit. It is now part of the alternative proteins/meats. Formula or BM and water really should be the drink of choice until 2.
Nice! I did not know that. I hope we in the US follow suit soon.
jenboo 11:36 AM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Nice! I did not know that. I hope we in the US follow suit soon.
I hope so too! I hate the dairy industry. When I reopen as a preschool, I'm not joining the food program again just because of the requirement to serve milk. If I could serve just water I would be happy.
lovemykidstoo 01:02 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Hmm....I’m not required to serve milk at snack. I just have to serve two of the components. I’d double-check with the food program. Otherwise, I’d just do what you’re required to do, and let dcm do what she needs to do.
Right, we just have to do 2 components as well. Also, I don't know if food program is different state to state, but we can only claim 2 meals and 1 snack. So if you're claiming breakfast and lunch, then you could only do 1 snack here. The other snack you could feed the kids all cookies if you wanted, but yes, you only need milk at breakfast and lunch.
Rockgirl 02:59 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Right, we just have to do 2 components as well. Also, I don't know if food program is different state to state, but we can only claim 2 meals and 1 snack. So if you're claiming breakfast and lunch, then you could only do 1 snack here. The other snack you could feed the kids all cookies if you wanted, but yes, you only need milk at breakfast and lunch.
Right—I didn’t even think of that! It’s the same here. I don’t serve a second snack—just breakfast, lunch, and pm snack.
springv 03:10 PM 02-06-2019
Our food program here in Alabama has changed that we will have to start serving fluid milk at all meals & snacks for it to be creditable and that we can't serve juice and count it as a fruit.
Leigh 05:29 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I hope so too! I hate the dairy industry. When I reopen as a preschool, I'm not joining the food program again just because of the requirement to serve milk. If I could serve just water I would be happy.
Soy milk is a nutritionally equivalent dairy substitute, if the fluid milk requirement is the only thing holding you back from the food program.
jenboo 06:58 AM 02-07-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Soy milk is a nutritionally equivalent dairy substitute, if the fluid milk requirement is the only thing holding you back from the food program.
The parents don't want their kids drinking soy milk. They either want no milk or every kid on a different milk. I think i had 7 milks at one point. Not with it since I can't claim the meals with the other milks anyway.
lovemykidstoo 07:48 AM 02-07-2019
I think you can request a doctor's note for alterations on fp
Tags:anemia, milk, poor growth
Reply Up