Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>4 Year Old Tells on Parent and is Sick
Ac114 06:45 AM 03-07-2019
I have a 4 year old in care and was complaining that her belly is hurting and needs to go to the doctor. I said what does your belly feel like? Like you’re hungry or you’re sick. She said I’m sick, I’ve been throwing up at my nana’s house. So I asked if it was last night or this morning and she said both. Then informed me that she was given bubble gum medicine before she came here. I’m so livid. She obviously doesn’t have a fever and has not thrown up while she’s been here this morning so how do I bring this up to the parents that she needs picked up when I haven’t seen any physical symptoms?
Cat Herder 06:49 AM 03-07-2019
Text "Was DCK vomiting this morning and given antibiotics?"

Wait for the over-reaction confirmation.
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 03-07-2019
Originally Posted by Ac114:
I have a 4 year old in care and was complaining that her belly is hurting and needs to go to the doctor. I said what does your belly feel like? Like you’re hungry or you’re sick. She said I’m sick, I’ve been throwing up at my nana’s house. So I asked if it was last night or this morning and she said both. Then informed me that she was given bubble gum medicine before she came here. I’m so livid. She obviously doesn’t have a fever and has not thrown up while she’s been here this morning so how do I bring this up to the parents that she needs picked up when I haven’t seen any physical symptoms?
Ask them if she's been experiencing any symptoms at home as she is complaining of her belly hurting now.

See what their reaction is. Hint around that a stomach bug seems to be going around and you just wanted to make sure she isn't getting it.

Most the time I can tell immediately if a parent is being truthful or not. Once you decide they are/aren't act accordingly.

fwiw~ I have a 4.5 yr old kid that tells me regularly that tomorrow he is going to skip daycare and is going to grandma's for a week so they can all go to the zoo together.

They went last summer.
LittleExplorers 07:12 AM 03-07-2019
I would for sure investigate. If child gets a fever at about the time meds wear off, I would terminate or have a very serious discussion and require them out for 48 hours of daycare, not including the weekend to make a point. With that said, kids don't always have a good concept of time. I have a kiddo that was out sick and said he puked last year. Anoher one says he takes medicine in the morning because baby sister has been on meds since birth and he wants to be like her.
Rockgirl 07:24 AM 03-07-2019
I would tell dcp what the child said about throwing up and taking meds—sounds like pepto. Then see if they come clean. That’s so infuriating, if it’s true!
nannyde 07:29 AM 03-07-2019
Was the bubble gum medicine Pepto Bismol?
Jupadia 08:20 AM 03-07-2019
I would also ask the parents first, mention that she is complaining of belly pain.
I know I have one kid 3 almost 4 that everything was yesterday. He will tell me he and his friends threw up yesterday and where they did it in the daycare. He will have the spot right and name but last time he threw up was before Christmas, the last one at daycare almost 2 months ago, but to him its yesterday. (Going to drive me nits since vomiting is one if his favorite things to try to talk about.
Ariana 09:32 AM 03-07-2019
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Was the bubble gum medicine Pepto Bismol?
My thought as well! Bubble gum can be antibiotics, Benedryl or Pepto.
Cat Herder 09:42 AM 03-07-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My thought as well! Bubble gum can be antibiotics, Benedryl or Pepto.
Mucinex, Claritin, Zyrtec, CVS/Walmart store brand Ibuprofen, Advil and Tylenol all come in Bubble Gum flavor, too.
Ariana 10:07 AM 03-07-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Mucinex, Claritin, Zyrtec, CVS/Walmart store brand Ibuprofen, Advil and Tylenol all come in Bubble Gum flavor, too.
Oh well in that case it could be anything. I was thinking maybe Pepto because it is for nausea and vomitting! We mostly have grape and cherry up here for pain relievers but I could be wrong.
Ac114 01:02 PM 03-07-2019
I asked mom about it and she said she didn’t throw up or complained about belly pain and has no idea what the medicine thing was about. I mentioned it to dad at pick up and he said the same thing. She never did get sick or have a fever through out the day so she must have made the story up. 🤷🏼*♀️
soso78 01:23 PM 03-07-2019
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Maybe Nana gave her the medicine. She was pretty descriptive so I wouldn't think she was making this up. She may have been off with the times, but at 4, she probably knows if her stomach is upset. Sometimes stomach illnesses do not necessarily come with a fever or the fever might come later. I have found with my kids that fevers tend to spike at night. If you don't want to exclude her, you may want to keep a watchful eye in case she is not making it up.
Tags:tattle tail
Reply Up