Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Socks and Shoes
KayB 10:33 AM 03-13-2019
I have had the policy that shoes and socks must be worn for daycare whenever they are here. It's been my policy for the 25 years I have had daycare. I do it for safety and sanitary reasons.
I had a new family start about a month ago and she wore shoes without socks a couple of weeks ago. I reminded dad that socks were required, his responds was ok. Well today her mom texted me and asked if wearing socks was required and I said yes. Than she reply so in the summer she can't wear socks? I replied back she could if she had socks on. Her reply back was Hmm.... well I'm not sure how I feel about that. I replied that it's been my policy for the 25 years I have had a daycare and have actually never had a parent say they didn't like it lol...
This was 3 hours ago and I have yet to hear anything back from her. My question is should I say anything more about it or just let her bring it up?
This mother is very dry, never smiles never has any excitement in her voice or attitude so that's why I am having a hard time reading her and knowing what to say and not to say! Any suggestions!?
Cat Herder 10:39 AM 03-13-2019
She may be curious about outdoor sandals and water play for spring and summer.

I have them send in closed toed sneakers and socks and I provide water shoes (crocs) to make this confusion easier for parents to relate.
Snowmom 10:58 AM 03-13-2019
Ask her what her concerns are.

I have the same policy and I've had people question it too. My response is that I require socks in all seasons to protect your child. I don't do sandals or crocs here, only closed toe running shoes. There are also many viruses that thrive on little toes. Socks help to keep feet healthy within the group.
Cat Herder 11:03 AM 03-13-2019
What do you have the kids wear for playing in sprinklers, puddles or with water/sand tables?
KayB 11:06 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Ask her what her concerns are.

I have the same policy and I've had people question it too. My response is that I require socks in all seasons to protect your child. I don't do sandals or crocs here, only closed toe running shoes. There are also many viruses that thrive on little toes. Socks help to keep feet healthy within the group.
Exactly my reasons!
KayB 11:07 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
What do you have the kids wear for playing in sprinklers, puddles or with water/sand tables?
When we do water days they can wear water shoes or crocs.
Cat Herder 11:09 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by KayB:
When we do water days they can wear water shoes or crocs.
My guess is that is what she may be asking, just poorly.
KayB 11:12 AM 03-13-2019
My guess is that is what she may be asking, just poorly.
Should I text her back after 4 hours and say that or let it go?
Cat Herder 11:23 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by KayB:
Should I text her back after 4 hours and say that or let it go?
I'd probably email it "Hey DCM, Just finished getting everyone down for nap and wanted to quickly touch base about shoes... "

The longer you wait the longer her co-workers will have to voice their opinions "armchair quarterback style".

"I'm not sure how I feel about that" from an otherwise good client is code for a quick resolution to me.
sharlan 11:30 AM 03-13-2019
If that's your policy, then she needs to follow it.

My kids are almost always barefoot. My little guy comes in carrying his shoes. He takes dcg's shoes and socks off asap. I put them back on just before pick up time.
KayB 12:08 PM 03-13-2019
I'd probably email it "Hey DCM, Just finished getting everyone down for nap and wanted to quickly touch base about shoes... "

The longer you wait the longer her co-workers will have to voice their opinions "armchair quarterback style".

"I'm not sure how I feel about that" from an otherwise good client is code for a quick resolution to me.
Ok I texted her back and asked her what her concerns might be?

Mom: Do you take off their shoes at all during the day> Except for maybe diaper changes?

Me: Yes, when we are doing certain activities we do.

Mom: Is it for naps or something?

Me: We take them off when we play certain games or do an art activity, May I ask why you're concerned about this?

Mom: It just bothered me a little bit because we've never experienced that from a daycare or anything.

Me: We do it for safety and sanitary reasons. Those little toes can pick up the yuckiest stuff and can get hurt outside running. Each daycare have their own policy and procedures along with what the state requires us to do. Is this something that is a major concern for you? We do this to protect your child and nothing else.

Mom:

Did I handle this right!? Should I have said something different? I haven't gotten a responds yet
KayB 12:10 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by sharlan:
If that's your policy, then she needs to follow it.

My kids are almost always barefoot. My little guy comes in carrying his shoes. He takes dcg's shoes and socks off asap. I put them back on just before pick up time.

Cat Herder 12:20 PM 03-13-2019
I'd mention the spread of foot fungus from child to child, she may not get what you are saying. I have one DCM I practically have to give a photo menu to about everything.

She may be more concerned with sweaty feet causing odor and discomfort rather than cotton socks reducing the spread of the fungus from person to person. She is maybe wanting the childs feet to air dry during nap. Some also believe that wearing shoes damages children's feet.

Not enough people seem to know that wearing the same pair of shoes everyday is a bad idea (they should be allowed to dry 24 hours, alternated) and socks minimize the risk.
storybookending 12:25 PM 03-13-2019
I’ve also found that taking off your shoes in the house or keeping them on seems to be a regional thing. No one where I’m from keeps shoes on in the house but when a friend of mine and I went on vacation I’m colllege we took our shoes off in the home we were staying at and we got laughed at.
Meeko 12:29 PM 03-13-2019
All these parents who expect the exact same policies at every place

My kids all take their shoes off and leave them in the entry. I would rather they kept them on, honestly (it's a pain in the afternoons)... but I do it because I have carpet and we live in Utah. I don't want wet, muddy, snowy footprints throughout my house! My kids need to play on clean floors. If I had wood floors, I wouldn't bother so much.
KayB 12:31 PM 03-13-2019
I'd mention the spread of foot fungus from child to child, she may not get what you are saying. I have one DCM I practically have to give a photo menu to about everything.

She may be more concerned with sweaty feet causing odor and discomfort rather than cotton socks reducing the spread of the fungus from person to person. She is maybe wanting the childs feet to air dry during nap. Some also believe that wearing shoes damages children's feet.

Not enough people seem to know that wearing the same pair of shoes everyday is a bad idea (they should be allowed to dry 24 hours, alternated) and socks minimize the risk.

Cat Herder 12:32 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:
All these parents who expect the exact same policies at every place

My kids all take their shoes off and leave them in the entry. I would rather they kept them on, honestly (it's a pain in the afternoons)... but I do it because I have carpet and we live in Utah. I don't want wet, muddy, snowy footprints throughout my house! My kids need to play on clean floors. If I had wood floors, I wouldn't bother so much.
Exactly. I am in the deep south and don't have a stitch of carpeting anywhere. Bare, sweaty, feet mucking up my floors would drive me crazy, not to mention transmission. I mop and vacuum daily as it is. I also don't want the play rugs ruined.
KayB 01:15 PM 03-13-2019
Well she finally texted me back with:
I just thought it was weird. I just thought I could dress her in whatever I buy for her. I know she just gets really hot, especially during the summer so we both like for her to wear sandals.

Seriously!! What would you say to this? I have NEVER had to deal with this before I don't want to lose them but I also don't want to give in to her because she will expect it for whatever else rule she doesn't agree with
We live in Texas...EVERYBODY gets hot not just her snowflake!!!!
Ac114 01:19 PM 03-13-2019
I require closed toe shoes for outdoor play but I have a no shoe policy in my daycare. Most of my kids take their socks off and I have to put them on a thousand times a day but I consider shoes dirty.

I don’t want the same shoes that were walked through a public restroom inside my home and on my carpets. It’s unsanitary!
Jbor14 01:26 PM 03-13-2019
I would say "I understand your concerns. My policies in place are final. I completely understand where you are coming from. I would hope that you will continue to trust me that I will not let your child get overheated. I will continue to keep her hydrated especially in the summer. Thank you, for understanding."
Cat Herder 01:45 PM 03-13-2019
I would then add the photo menu. I tell you, I really have to do this with some for them to get it.

"DCM, This is what I am trying to prevent. Please refer to your handbook. Thanks!"
Attached: ped foot fungus (426 x 422).jpg (49.7 KB) peds mulch injury (600 x 450).jpg (39.6 KB) 
MomBoss 02:07 PM 03-13-2019
I dont allow shoes inside. And Im not in the business of looking for socks all day, so if they take them off, i put them in their cubby and they can be barefoot all day. I have a mixed age group and if a 3 yr old stepped on a 11 month olds hand wearing a shoe, that would not be good. I keep shoes off for safety reasons. If HFM is what your worried about, well would you keep mittens on their hands all day long? Sweaty feet in shoes could cause foot fungus as well. Keep feet aired and dry would prevent it. Also, my husband has athletes foot...nobody in my family has caught it simply from walking on the same carpet.
So my program is exactly opposite lol.
LittleExplorers 02:17 PM 03-13-2019
I would wait and talk to her in person. Then explain your policies and that thery are not up for debate. She can buy some light weight socks to go with her summer shoes if that's your rule. If she is going to fight you on this, what's next?
KayB 02:41 PM 03-13-2019
I would then add the photo menu. I tell you, I really have to do this with some for them to get it.

"DCM, This is what I am trying to prevent. Please refer to your handbook. Thanks!"

KayB 02:42 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
I would wait and talk to her in person. Then explain your policies and that thery are not up for debate. She can buy some light weight socks to go with her summer shoes if that's your rule. If she is going to fight you on this, what's next?
That sounds reasonable. That's my concern to...what else!?
KayB 02:58 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Jbor14:
I would say "I understand your concerns. My policies in place are final. I completely understand where you are coming from. I would hope that you will continue to trust me that I will not let your child get overheated. I will continue to keep her hydrated especially in the summer. Thank you, for understanding."
I like this reply! Sounds pretty professional~ Thanks
sharlan 03:37 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I dont allow shoes inside. And Im not in the business of looking for socks all day, so if they take them off, i put them in their cubby and they can be barefoot all day. I have a mixed age group and if a 3 yr old stepped on a 11 month olds hand wearing a shoe, that would not be good. I keep shoes off for safety reasons. If HFM is what your worried about, well would you keep mittens on their hands all day long? Sweaty feet in shoes could cause foot fungus as well. Keep feet aired and dry would prevent it. Also, my husband has athletes foot...nobody in my family has caught it simply from walking on the same carpet.
So my program is exactly opposite lol.

I'm with you. I hate shoes and only wear when necessary. I've never made my kids/daycare kids wear shoes and socks unless we were going somewhere. I don't recall any stubbed toes, splinters, bee stings, etc. I've had several cases of HFM, but only one child at a time. I've just been lucky.

I do accept the fact that others have different opinions.
Jenniferdawn 05:18 PM 03-13-2019
Yeah I’m a no shoes inside here (yuck-I don’t want the babies and toddlers crawling in shoes that have been in bathrooms!) and as long as it’s warm enough, they don’t have to wear shoes outside either. Nature on feet is good for a child imo. As for foot fungus/diseases, I’ve been open for 15 years and have never had a problem with that. That being said, you have a right to your rules and you told her them respectfully (though honestly I think there’s more of a chance of them getting a foot fungus keeping their sweaty shoes on all day than if they took them off)
springv 06:59 PM 03-13-2019
We have a policy that all children wear shoes in case of an emergency and they be sensible and comfortable
Rockgirl 08:35 PM 03-13-2019
Isn’t it funny how we all have different views/policies on this?

I’m in Texas, too. I don’t really care whether they wear socks, especially in the summer, but if they do wear socks, they must stay on. I don’t want to hunt for lost socks. Myself—I wear either Chacos or Birkenstock sandals every day of the summer, and if I had to wear socks, I’d die of heat stroke. Lol
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 03-14-2019
My rules:
No shoes on inside the house.
Socks stay on. (I've never had an issue with it)
Closed toed shoes in the summer/socks put on upon entering the house.
Water shoes for water play

But those rules are something I have eased up on over the years but some will remain forever.... such as no shoes in the house. Shoes in the house is gross.

I had a rule about kids wearing socks but to be totally honest, I used to have a lot of families that were less than what I'd call clean so... now it's not such an issue for me, but I personally think feet are kind of gross. (my sister buys shoes at garage sales for herself and her kids etc....I could never. eww!) So I prefer socks but don't necessarily require them.

Closed toed shoes in the summer is strictly a safety issue. Kids trip over sandals and those stupid Crocs (did I mention how much I hate Crocs )

This year I am considering requiring actual running shoes (with laces) and not just closed toed sandals as those sandals are starting to be a pain in the butt. Sand gets inside of them and the kids are constantly needing to sit and take them off to dump them out and that gets cumbersome all summer. Especially since the sandbox is a major playground attraction.

Still no matter what, I do not allow the kids to wear sandals, Crocs or go barefoot. All for safety reasons.
Baby Beluga 08:28 AM 03-14-2019
Late to the party, but I'm a stickler for wearing socks. For the reasons CH posted - feet in general can be gross, but especially kid feet! Plus, I have no idea how clean (or unclean) a child's home is. I tell parents I wash hand upon arrival (I do) but I can't wash feet. This is why we wear socks.

As far as shoes go, I require closed toe shoes. Sandals can be worn with socks as long as they are closed toe. I do not allow tie shoes until a child can tie independently and no crocs. I too hate crocs.

ETA: I have only had one family fight me on wearing socks. I kept an extra pair here and had child put the socks on upon arrival and take them off upon pick up.
Cat Herder 09:31 AM 03-14-2019
All the hate on crocs kills me.

I got a great deal years ago on them ($3 per pair) and bought several pairs in each toddler/preschool size (they are a hideous pattern, but functional). They are so great for the kids to grab out of the bin to go play in the sprinklers. When they come in I can toss them all in the washer with bleach. It was such a great solution to having to maintain everyone's personal street shoes after muddy play. We do water play every day in the summer, sometimes twice per day.

What does everyone else do for water and mud play?
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 03-14-2019

What does everyone else do for water and mud play?
Here in my neck of the woods, every kid I know owns several pairs of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wate...50131283328254
Attached: 56bc0633-53b4-4dd8-9c5a-3c173cc5eb9c_1.465a77f3b741e1ceeade208c133cb6d8.jpeg (398.1 KB) 
Msdunny 09:53 AM 03-14-2019
I personally don't like shoes in the house and think kids' feet develop better unconfined. I have a pair of flip flops I switch to as soon as I walk in the door. I also have a dog and hardwood floors, both of which make socks dirty. So, I went and bought a bunch of cheap pairs of socks and when my littles get here, they know to go take their shoes and socks off and put on a pair of my play socks. At the end of the day, they take their play socks to my laundry basket and put their own socks and shoes on. This summer I will probably opt for barefeet. I also think kids learn to be better walkers when they start out if they do so without shoes.

As for water play, I will be looking for deals on water shoes soon, and each dck will have their own pair for the summer.

That said, if my policy were socks and shoes on all day, I would expect the parents to go along with that.
Baby Beluga 10:12 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here in my neck of the woods, every kid I know owns several pairs of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wate...50131283328254
Yup!

For my own children I buy the cheap ones from Walmart when they are on clearance. I get them for about $3 a piece then.

I used to allow crocs very early on. I had a child who would wear them every single day. Guess who fell every single day while outside? After I put two and two together (and was tired of writing incident reports...) I banned them
missmisty 07:58 AM 03-15-2019
i prefer that my kids keep shoes and socks on. it makes it much easier for me when getting ready to go outside or at pick ups. they are allowed to remove & place next to their cot at naptime, but then right back on when they wake up.

i do allow sandals in summer, but same rules apply. keep them on.

my babies are only allowed on the floor inside the play yard where theres a mat, which is cleaned daily so i dont have to worry about them crawling around in anything nasty.
coloradoprovider 06:43 AM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by Ac114:
I require closed toe shoes for outdoor play but I have a no shoe policy in my daycare. Most of my kids take their socks off and I have to put them on a thousand times a day but I consider shoes dirty.

I don’t want the same shoes that were walked through a public restroom inside my home and on my carpets. It’s unsanitary!
Agreed! Shoes pick up the nastiest stuff, don't want my crawlers exposed. One exception, in warm weather, I encourage barefeet when playing outside (we clean before we come inside). There are many articles about why going barefoot is important; here's a link to one: http://naturalchildmagazine.com/1210...oot-babies.htm
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by coloradoprovider:
Agreed! Shoes pick up the nastiest stuff, don't want my crawlers exposed. One exception, in warm weather, I encourage barefeet when playing outside (we clean before we come inside). There are many articles about why going barefoot is important; here's a link to one: http://naturalchildmagazine.com/1210...oot-babies.htm
I agree that there are many benefits to being barefoot but not everything has to be experienced at daycare.

Parents that spend time with their children have the option of allowing their child to be barefoot in many different environments without the same risks or liabilities a provider might face.
Cat Herder 07:11 AM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree that there are many benefits to being barefoot but not everything has to be experienced at daycare.

Parents that spend time with their children have the option of allowing their child to be barefoot in many different environments without the same risks or liabilities a provider might face.
Thank you

I was going to post something similar. Group care is for groups, Parent -It's a verb.
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 04-01-2019
Thank you

I was going to post something similar. Group care is for groups, Parent -It's a verb.
Sadly in today's child care world, providers are now "motivated" and/or restricted by having to consider liability and risk rather than what is or may be best for the child.

I remember having program goals that met the child's needs first and foremost.

This new goal of simply keeping a child safe and not creating unnecessary risk is the main focus or goal of my program. Everything else comes after risk assessment.

Of course this change is happening while parent expectations are heading in the opposite direction and they (parents) are now expecting care programs to do ALL things child related leaving very little for parents to be responsible for.

Unless you count posting pictures on social media and venting about how hard parenting is.
LostMyMarbles 10:38 AM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by Jenniferdawn:
Yeah I’m a no shoes inside here (yuck-I don’t want the babies and toddlers crawling in shoes that have been in bathrooms!) and as long as it’s warm enough, they don’t have to wear shoes outside either. Nature on feet is good for a child imo. As for foot fungus/diseases, I’ve been open for 15 years and have never had a problem with that. That being said, you have a right to your rules and you told her them respectfully (though honestly I think there’s more of a chance of them getting a foot fungus keeping their sweaty shoes on all day than if they took them off)
Same! No shoes EVER in the house. If you don’t want to wear socks, don’t wear socks. And in the summer, I’m usually the first one with my shoes off outside.

As far is the original poster, if it’s your policy to wear shoes and socks, then they need to abide by that.
hwichlaz 10:45 AM 04-01-2019
My daughter has a podiatrist. She says that children should wear shoes as little as possible. That it strengthens ankles and arches to be barefoot. Unless it's my kid. She needs orthotics and has to wear shoes....but her problem is a malformed knee.
ColorfulSunburst 10:48 AM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by Jenniferdawn:
Yeah I’m a no shoes inside here (yuck-I don’t want the babies and toddlers crawling in shoes that have been in bathrooms!) and as long as it’s warm enough, they don’t have to wear shoes outside either. Nature on feet is good for a child imo. As for foot fungus/diseases, I’ve been open for 15 years and have never had a problem with that. That being said, you have a right to your rules and you told her them respectfully (though honestly, I think there’s more of a chance of them getting a foot fungus keeping their sweaty shoes on all day than if they took them off)
all my kids have indoor shoes here. Every morning they come in, change shoes, go to play. Before to go outside they switch shoes again. I do not care about socks. The indoor shoes can be sent home to get washed if necessary.
Pestle 10:51 AM 04-01-2019
There are strong arguments on both sides.

And that's what they are: arguments. Arguments should go on between care providers sharing info. Arguments should go on between policymakers gathering data.

No arguments allowed between clients and care providers. These are my rules. They will be followed by the families who receive my services. The families that don't follow my rules won't receive my services.

No justification of my policies beyond a concise initial explanation. Go start your own daycare if mine doesn't suit you.
Mom2Two 11:55 AM 04-01-2019
OP I agree--I'm pretty tired of parents seeming surprised by my policies. I am finally going to start having parents initial each line of my contract.

Perhaps in your situation you could simply have clothing rental fees in your contract and have the parents initial each line of your contract after you painstakingly spell out each line in their presence. That way you don't need to argue with mom about the shoe sock thing--just charge her what it's worth to you and provide them.

Having said that though, I don't love enforcing my policies that way. I have rental fees to help parents remember my policies--I don't really want to keep doing it because a parent doesn't care. I would rather they left if they were going to keep ignoring policies. Or I would raise the fees maybe for that one client until they paid attention--or left.

I have shoes off at the front door, and i provide outdoor shoes that are by the back door. (I'm only licensed for 8 kids, so it's not too hard to keep a set of outdoor shoes here). I have snow boots for freezing weather, rain boots for cool mild weather, and water shoes for hot weather. I don't care if they are crocs or the mesh kind. lol

I require socks inside unless it's HOT weather. And the parents need to always provide spare, because they usually need a change of socks when we come inside.

I allow bare feet inside in hot weather. I usually define hot weather as June thru August. But I'm probably not going to brawl it out with the parent who wants kids to go sockless in May. But they still need spares.
Tags:footwear, policy - cloths, policy - shoes, shoes - outside
Reply Up