Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
First ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Venting Thread
Blackcat31 06:00 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by Michael:
This is not a vent. I just wanted to be the 5000th post on this thread.
Nice catch!
CountryRoads 11:48 AM 03-12-2019
Sent home dck for puking, parent says "ya, dck puked last night, too." Thanks for sending your child anyway
springv 03:36 PM 03-12-2019
I would be fit to be tied!!!!😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡
Ac114 04:58 AM 03-13-2019
Had a parent text me last night at 10 if she could bring DCB tomorrow when he was not schedule for that day and then asked if she had to pay for it. Really? No I do this for fun! In fact, let me refund you for the 4 days he’s contracted 4 as well.

I don’t get parents sometimes!!
CountryRoads 06:36 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Had a parent text me last night at 10 if she could bring DCB tomorrow when he was not schedule for that day and then asked if she had to pay for it. Really? No I do this for fun! In fact, let me refund you for the 4 days he’s contracted 4 as well.

What is wrong with people?!
CountryRoads 11:32 AM 03-13-2019
Horrible weather today. Schools closed. Businesses are closing. Roads are closed. All dck were picked up...except for 1. Whose mom didn't even have to work in the first place.
MomBoss 01:52 PM 03-13-2019

Theres no way i would have responded nicely to that lol
Ms.Kay 04:13 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Theres no way i would have responded nicely to that lol
She wanted her moneys worth.
amberrose3dg 05:30 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
She wanted her moneys worth.
WOW!
Hunni Bee 11:53 AM 03-15-2019
Dcg's birthday/party is this weekend. Everybody is invited and is going. But for some reason, DCM felt the need to bring in chocolate cupcakes, vanilla cupcakes and frosted cookies PLUS goodie bags - enough for every child to get one of each - then specified that she does not want leftovers sent back home.

I probably would have said something had I been here at drop off (half day on my day off grrr) But geesh that didn't seem like overkill? I'm letting them have the cupcake of their choice and half a cookie and tossing the rest in the break room fridge. Not giving out that much sugar.
missmisty 11:57 AM 03-15-2019
Why is it so hard for parents to #1 - follow policies and #2 - be considerate to the other kids in care

Snacks. I provide snacks. Parents are WELCOME to bring in snacks but the rule is they bring enough for everyone. or save the snack/treat for at home. I have one Dad (whom I've spoken to about this several times) that just can't "get it". They stop at the gas station on the way here and again this morning brings her in with a juice (the fun ones with the paw patrol characters on top?) an open (and in her mouth) lollipop, and a donut in her hand.

I told him she would need to finish the donut in the car if he wanted her to have it, as it wasn't fair to other kids who were not getting donuts for breakfast. Then I told DCG *right in front of dad* "Lets go put your juice in the fridge so it will stay good until Daddy gets back. We can wrap up your lollipop and put it in your bag so you can have it after you go home." She threw a FIT and he was mad that I took the candy from her. I just told him "I'm sorry, I hate to make her cry as well but the other children do not understand why she has these treats and they don't. Policy states that if bringing a special treat there must be enough for everyone or the treat needs to wait until the child goes home." He took the donut and left but seriously ....

I'm debating on sending a follow-up reminder with the policy quoted just to reinforce. I felt like a jerk to her - but its policy and I'm not going to have 3 other kids following her around crying because they want her candy. that is not fair to THEM. ugh.
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by missmisty:
Why is it so hard for parents to #1 - follow policies and #2 - be considerate to the other kids in care

Snacks. I provide snacks. Parents are WELCOME to bring in snacks but the rule is they bring enough for everyone. or save the snack/treat for at home. I have one Dad (whom I've spoken to about this several times) that just can't "get it". They stop at the gas station on the way here and again this morning brings her in with a juice (the fun ones with the paw patrol characters on top?) an open (and in her mouth) lollipop, and a donut in her hand.

I told him she would need to finish the donut in the car if he wanted her to have it, as it wasn't fair to other kids who were not getting donuts for breakfast. Then I told DCG *right in front of dad* "Lets go put your juice in the fridge so it will stay good until Daddy gets back. We can wrap up your lollipop and put it in your bag so you can have it after you go home." She threw a FIT and he was mad that I took the candy from her. I just told him "I'm sorry, I hate to make her cry as well but the other children do not understand why she has these treats and they don't. Policy states that if bringing a special treat there must be enough for everyone or the treat needs to wait until the child goes home." He took the donut and left but seriously ....

I'm debating on sending a follow-up reminder with the policy quoted just to reinforce. I felt like a jerk to her - but its policy and I'm not going to have 3 other kids following her around crying because they want her candy. that is not fair to THEM. ugh.
I won't be the bad guy like that.

Dad can take DCG (and her snacks) back to the car and return with out any of the items.
missmisty 12:39 PM 03-15-2019
In hindsight that may have been the better choice to make ... because I felt like a jerk. I will likely take that advice if there's a next time because I DID hate doing that.

We've just had the same issue so many times and I felt I had to enforce the policy this time.
Ariana 05:22 PM 03-16-2019
Mom who is a teacher drops kid off to me EVERY day of March break for 8 hours each day.

Posts on Facebook “my #1 goal in life is being a good mom”

Ariana 05:26 PM 03-16-2019
Originally Posted by missmisty:
In hindsight that may have been the better choice to make ... because I felt like a jerk. I will likely take that advice if there's a next time because I DID hate doing that.

We've just had the same issue so many times and I felt I had to enforce the policy this time.
Let them know if it happens again you will immediately temrinate care. Should work because the last thing lazy parents want to do is look for new daycare
Josiegirl 03:00 AM 03-17-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Mom who is a teacher drops kid off to me EVERY day of March break for 8 hours each day.

Posts on Facebook “my #1 goal in life is being a good mom”

And you know everyone will tell her how great she is. Whatever happened to that unique idea of actually spending time with your child to determine a great mom?
CountryRoads 07:53 AM 03-18-2019
A stomach bug hit a few kids in my daycare, but one dcm was convinced it was an allergy. Her ped told her it was probably a virus but to cut out milk to be safe.

What?
DaveA 11:31 AM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
A stomach bug hit a few kids in my daycare, but one dcm was convinced it was an allergy. Her ped told her it was probably a virus but to cut out milk to be safe.

What?
OYE

Option 1- Doc told her anything to make her feel better and get her the heck out of their office.

Option 2- Doc didn't say anything like that. Maybe something along the lines of "If this continues we'll look at allergies to things like dairy." DCM hears what she wants to confirm her idea was the right one.

Either way- be prepared for DCM to argue this for a while.
springv 11:24 AM 03-20-2019
Thank you dcp for coming in and getting your kids plus waking our kids up at 1:23 pm
springv 04:25 PM 03-20-2019
Thank you dcp for coming in and asking if it was nap plus waking our kids up at 1:23 when you know that you can come and get your kids whenever
LostMyMarbles 09:07 AM 03-22-2019
What is the fascination with butts or the word butt with boys. I had one say the word but over and over last week. He was on time out , talked to, reasoned with, you name it. His mom said he was saying it at home and disciplined repeatedly. He is over it now.

Today another one is pushing it with butt talk. Ugh!
Josiegirl 09:11 AM 03-22-2019
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
What is the fascination with butts or the word butt with boys. I had one say the word but over and over last week. He was on time out , talked to, reasoned with, you name it. His mom said he was saying it at home and disciplined repeatedly. He is over it now.

My 5 yo dcg went through that phase where every other word was butt, 'get your butt out of here' wiggling her butt or whatever she could think of that got a rise out of people. Well, that phase passed and now she knows what the middle finger is for.
LostMyMarbles 09:12 AM 03-22-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
My 5 yo dcg went through that phase where every other word was butt, 'get your butt out of here' wiggling her butt or whatever she could think of that got a rise out of people. Well, that phase passed and now she knows what the middle finger is for.
Oh my...
Ariana 02:19 PM 03-22-2019
Just got informed that parents are looking into Montessori school for their kid who has been with me for over a year. They are going to look when she is 3. I had been banking on having their infant here in September plus the older one. Kinda feeling bummed and taking it personally.

They didn’t say anything was definite but I have to cover my coveted infant space so they will be getting notice in July. Buh bye!
CountryRoads 02:46 PM 03-22-2019
Unexpected early pick-ups! UGH!

I always feel like it's chaotic when it happens. All the toys weren't picked up, sink was full of dishes, food was out from snack time that just finished. Just UGH.
sharlan 03:22 PM 03-22-2019
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:

New toy called Butt Heads - they have butts for heads.
Blackcat31 05:26 PM 03-22-2019
Originally Posted by sharlan:
New toy called Butt Heads - they have butts for heads.
Ugh! That’s as bad as those “poo” pillows and toys etc...
BumbleBee 06:28 PM 03-22-2019
3rd time in less than a year that an Amish buggy has been hit by a vehicle. In all 3 instances the Amish were not at fault.

There's been serious injuries, horses killed, buggies smashed.

Distracted driving is ridiculous. Pay attention to the road. Heading home from shopping tonight I almost got t-boned because someone blew a stop sign.

Just angry tonight, this needs to stop.
springv 06:46 PM 03-22-2019
@bumblebee: had an amish friend of ours in tennessee get hit last year in a buggy that he was riding in by a distracted driver, it was 3 adults I believe in the buggy and no children were involved but one had to be airlifted to a local hospital and they didn't know if he would live or not and our friend has bruises aand and a sore hip but he is better now. How was the amish that was hit?
sharlan 08:10 PM 03-22-2019
Red lights are a suggestion here. People treat them like stop signs

When my dd and I were walking every night we were nearly hit so many times by drivers not paying attention.
BumbleBee 03:45 PM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
@bumblebee: had an amish friend of ours in tennessee get hit last year in a buggy that he was riding in by a distracted driver, it was 3 adults I believe in the buggy and no children were involved but one had to be airlifted to a local hospital and they didn't know if he would live or not and our friend has bruises aand and a sore hip but he is better now. How was the amish that was hit?
From what I've heard the Amish involved are ok. This was the most minor of the 3 accidents.

The first an Amish gentleman was critically injured, 2nd a horse was killed. Both of those the buggies were destroyed. This one the buggy is damaged but was upright and in one piece.
gumdrops 10:50 AM 03-25-2019
Unexpected early pick-ups! UGH!

I always feel like it's chaotic when it happens. All the toys weren't picked up, sink was full of dishes, food was out from snack time that just finished. Just UGH.
I think it's OK for the parents to see what your day really looks like. Maybe they will realize our job is more than sitting around all day.
CeriBear 05:39 AM 03-26-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I hate those poo pillows.
Hunni Bee 10:39 AM 03-26-2019
HATE those. One of my dcbs brought poop emoji lollipops on Valentines Day. Really...poop in your mouth. No thanks.
Pepperth 11:12 AM 03-26-2019
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
HATE those. One of my dcbs brought poop emoji lollipops on Valentines Day. Really...poop in your mouth. No thanks.
One of my previous dcb had a birthday party that was "poop" themed. It was disgusting. I don't understand the appeal at all.
Mom2Two 11:50 AM 03-29-2019
People from the various agencies we deal with who show up without properly introducing themselves or proper ID. Don't they know how creepy that is?

I really want an email introduction first preferably with a photo. I had to call one agency this past week to make sure a person was legit, and then today I had a person show up...to deliver a flier. They had ID and I didn't let them in (they didn't want to come in), but why come by just to deliver a flier?

Then I get flaky divorced daycare dad, who I've never met call me (again), and ask if he can just fill something out online and come get his kids. No dude, you need to schedule a meeting with me and your ex-wife so I can meet you so I can recognize you, and I don't wonder if I'm turning the kids over to the right person when you show up.

Makes me want to get some major security out the front!
Cat Herder 11:54 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Then I get flaky divorced daycare dad, who I've never met call me (again), and ask if he can just fill something out online and come get his kids. No dude, you need to schedule a meeting with me and your ex-wife so I can meet you so I can recognize you, and I don't wonder if I'm turning the kids over to the right person when you show up.
Be careful. He can legally show up with a LEO to verify his ID and pick up his kids, anytime. We can't deny parents, even if the other parent wants us to.

FTR, I loathe uninvited guests. I've got nothing to hide, I just like to enjoy my schedule, my way, uninterrupted.
Mom2Two 01:18 PM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Be careful. He can legally show up with a LEO to verify his ID and pick up his kids, anytime. We can't deny parents, even if the other parent wants us to.

FTR, I loathe uninvited guests. I've got nothing to hide, I just like to enjoy my schedule, my way, uninterrupted.
I know...and really I do let kids go...with grandma or whoever...even just on text/phone call verification from the parent I know. But dcm says that this dad is prone to being very random, and she says it's likely that he could show up with no id or verification and want his kid. He's kinda tried it several times already by calling me without me hearing from mom. I really don't want to have to turn him away from the door, so I keep trying to push back and tell him he needs to sit down and meet with me and dcm.
springv 03:51 PM 03-29-2019
We are licensed by the state if Alabama and if we EVER let a child go without checking a child's permission form and that person's I.d, we would get wrote up and our license pulled. If I were a parent and my child went to your daycare and I found out what you were doing, I would pull and report you. Dont matter what the circumstances are I would be LIVID
Rockgirl 04:53 PM 03-29-2019
We are licensed by the state if Alabama and if we EVER let a child go without checking a child's permission form and that person's I.d, we would get wrote up and our license pulled. If I were a parent and my child went to your daycare and I found out what you were doing, I would pull and report you. Dont matter what the circumstances are I would be LIVID
I don’t understand. Why would you be livid? She wants to meet dcd in person, so she will know him if/when he does show up to pick up his children.
Blackcat31 04:57 PM 03-29-2019
If I were a parent and my child went to your daycare and I found out what you were doing, I would pull and report you. Dont matter what the circumstances are I would be LIVID
Are you referring to Mom2Two? In regards to texts/phone call permissions

I’m not a center.
I’m licensed as in home. She is too
I am not required to check anyone’s ID
I do check in situations I feel warrant it but I too allow texts/verbal permission
The persons name doesn’t have to be listed in child’s file ahead of time all the time
That’s the beauty of family care vs center care
Josiegirl 03:44 AM 03-30-2019
Dcf told me Thursday they'd found a new dc and was giving me notice that next week would be their last week. I said ok. Even though technically they're supposed to give me 2 week notice. So dcm sent me a text yesterday a.m. saying they could start ds in his new dc next week and would it help me if yesterday was his last day. I was already passively aggressively upset at dcd for once again speaking to a dcg about being gentle(I gave him a look)so when I received the text I said I'd like to have him next week because I had already received less than the contracted 2 week notice, if that was ok. This extremely wordy dcm simply texts back ok.
Well, that was way before lunch. By the time dcb got picked up at 3, I had all his stuff packed and said it's been a rough day(partly because of sweet precious do-no-wrongdcb)so it was fine with me if he started new dc Monday.
One down, 5 to go. They won't be so easy.
BumbleBee 08:32 PM 04-02-2019
10:30pm, Tuesday, during spring break is a lovely time for the pressure relief valve to fail on the hot water heater.
WBee 10:00 AM 04-03-2019
DCB had really bad anxiety prior (been here a year now) and would vomit at drop-off, cry half the a.m., etc. Yes, for a friend, I stuck it out and helped him grow out of it. Only grandparents can drop off/pick up now. Mom tried to drop-off yesterday...DCB screamed, through a fit, vomited NEXT to my toilet. I told her she cannot drop off and needs to show him that he doesn't run her as he is manipulative with her. Today, new DCB shows up 5 min. early (Grandma cannot wait to get him out of her hair) and informs me he is staying ALL day (which wasn't supposed to happen 'til next week) and he's been crying all a.m. Now another DCB just vomited. I'm checking out for today. Done!
CountryRoads 09:22 AM 04-04-2019
Probably going to have to spend $1500+ to fence our entire property to keep the neighbors dogs out. Why get dogs if you're just going to let them roam where ever they please?

Their dog tries to jump in dcf's cars, tries to come in our house, jumps on everybody who comes here. Everyone is afraid they are going to run her over. She was inches away from getting run over by a bus this morning.

The perks of living out of town.
Well, won't have to worry about the dog anymore. Accidentally got ran over this morning by their son. I'm SO sad She was just a puppy. But when you don't fence your dogs, what do you expect?
Jupadia 12:25 PM 04-04-2019
My mouth is hurting so bad that I've made an emergency dental appointment for tomorrow. It sucks. Closing dor day tomorrow seconed time since starting, first time in 3.5 years. Dont even care what parents think, just want it to be tomorrow so I can find out what's up. Could be wisdom tooth related.
Ac114 12:32 PM 04-04-2019
Sent home 2 children due to vomiting today 😩😩😩 I sent out a mass text letting everyone know I’m closing tomorrow so I can sanitize. There have been several children out this week due to illness and I’ve had enough 🤮🤮 for one week.
Ms.Kay 02:23 PM 04-04-2019
Going out of town spring break....I send a paper hand out reminders every 2 weeks for last 2 months. Have 3 signs hanging up....I just had 2 parents ask if I was taking any days off spring break. I cant believe these people procreated😡
Mom2Two 03:10 PM 04-04-2019
My state's protocol is that I just need to be told by the enrolled parent to expect pick up from a person, be given the expected name, and then see picture ID at the door. And that is what ended up happening with this dad, so I have met him now. What he had been doing is just calling without having mom let me know to expect it. Since i had never met him, just had a photo from mom, I wouldn't have let the kids go with him. The photo wasn't THAT good.

And for the future, he is prone to being random, so I need to discourage him from showing up too much, coz he's the type to randomly drop off during lunch or pick up during nap. That could get annoying real fast.

DCM tried to include him on daycare selection, but he didn't want to come to our interview. I think she also told me that he doesn't help pay...for anything ever. Technically not relevant, but still....
storybookending 08:59 PM 04-06-2019
I HATE FACEBOOK FOR SALE GROUPS

I fall in love with a mirror. $25 great price. I ask the lady dimentions within 4 minutes of posting. She tells me them. I say interested. She says PM me. I send her a message. I ask if she can meet tomorrow. (It’s 10PM). She says yes. I say great. She replies “PPU”. Um excuse me lady you just told me you could meet tomorrow!! I go on her personal page and she tells a friend, 47 minutes after she told me that I could buy it that she could have it and that she’ll bring it to work Monday.

Anything I find comparable is close to $100 which is a lot for something that I had planned on spray painting. I found something a little cheaper but it’s also 11 inches smaller in height and width. Ugh.
Leigh 08:19 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I HATE FACEBOOK FOR SALE GROUPS

I fall in love with a mirror. $25 great price. I ask the lady dimentions within 4 minutes of posting. She tells me them. I say interested. She says PM me. I send her a message. I ask if she can meet tomorrow. (It’s 10PM). She says yes. I say great. She replies “PPU”. Um excuse me lady you just told me you could meet tomorrow!! I go on her personal page and she tells a friend, 47 minutes after she told me that I could buy it that she could have it and that she’ll bring it to work Monday.

Anything I find comparable is close to $100 which is a lot for something that I had planned on spray painting. I found something a little cheaper but it’s also 11 inches smaller in height and width. Ugh.
Ugh. I hate that, too! I found a complete set of kitchen cabinets for sale recently that matched mine for sale for $300. I needed the pantry for my kitchen, and was going to use the others for a separate daycare kitchen. I commented that I would take them literally less than 10 seconds after they were posted. PM'd to arrange pickup. No response. She sold them to a friend via her personal page, too. I get that she can do what she wants with her own stuff, but I was SO bummed.
storybookending 10:59 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Ugh. I hate that, too! I found a complete set of kitchen cabinets for sale recently that matched mine for sale for $300. I needed the pantry for my kitchen, and was going to use the others for a separate daycare kitchen. I commented that I would take them literally less than 10 seconds after they were posted. PM'd to arrange pickup. No response. She sold them to a friend via her personal page, too. I get that she can do what she wants with her own stuff, but I was SO bummed.
A friend of mine has me convinced that I can make what I lost out on. I bought the materials for $8.30. Just need to buy spray paint and hot glue, which I might even have. I am not the best DIYer but she told me when she lived in japan that she did something very similar and that a monkey could do it. She’s in Colorado now, I told her she flying home to fix it if she’s wrong.
Leigh 02:13 PM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by storybookending:
A friend of mine has me convinced that I can make what I lost out on. I bought the materials for $8.30. Just need to buy spray paint and hot glue, which I might even have. I am not the best DIYer but she told me when she lived in japan that she did something very similar and that a monkey could do it. She’s in Colorado now, I told her she flying home to fix it if she’s wrong.
I hope it works out for you! I can BUILD things, I can FIX things, but I can NOT CRAFT things!
storybookending 03:34 PM 04-08-2019
This is what I’m going to be attempting.. going with a bright yellow instead of gold, the mirror I found doesn’t have a border and I’m using wood skewers and this is metal.. we will see!!
littlefriends 06:10 AM 04-10-2019
I swear wth??? I don’t know what to do with this family...they have brought their kid here with pink eye, lice, fever (several times with this one)and every time they’re like “oh he’s grouchy this morning he didn’t get a good nights sleep “ or something similar. They’re always quick to drop and pay on time but I swear I’m just so sick of them doing this. I almost want to start making her stand there while I check him out and take his freaking temperature before I let her sign him in every morning!! I’ve had to call this family for illness pick up for their one kid more than all my other families combined!
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
I swear wth??? I don’t know what to do with this family...they have brought their kid here with pink eye, lice, fever (several times with this one)and every time they’re like “oh he’s grouchy this morning he didn’t get a good nights sleep “ or something similar. They’re always quick to drop and pay on time but I swear I’m just so sick of them doing this. I almost want to start making her stand there while I check him out and take his freaking temperature before I let her sign him in every morning!! I’ve had to call this family for illness pick up for their one kid more than all my other families combined!
24/48 hour rule helps address this fairly well

I would absolutely do a well child check before allowing mom/dad to leave.

I would also use their own words to your benefit;

Parent: “oh he’s grouchy this morning he didn’t get a good nights sleep “

You: "Oh goodness, you'll need to take him back home then as I require all children to be able to participate as normal and if they aren't able to due to lack of sleep then they are excluded per program policies. Hopefully he gets a good nights sleep tonight and I'll see you tomorrow!"
littlefriends 07:00 AM 04-10-2019
24/48 hour rule helps address this fairly well

I would absolutely do a well child check before allowing mom/dad to leave.

I would also use their own words to your benefit;

Parent: “oh he’s grouchy this morning he didn’t get a good nights sleep “

You: "Oh goodness, you'll need to take him back home then as I require all children to be able to participate as normal and if they aren't able to due to lack of sleep then they are excluded per program policies. Hopefully he gets a good nights sleep tonight and I'll see you tomorrow!"
Just passed out a new illness policy that includes the 24/48 hour rule AND no dope and drop. That’s what’s making me extra mad today; she just signed this thing like 2 days ago!! And it took 30 min for one of them to finally call me back. I’m definitely reminding her he can’t come back for 48 hours when she finally gets here to pick him up.
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 04-10-2019
Just passed out a new illness policy that includes the 24/48 hour rule AND no dope and drop. That’s what’s making me extra mad today; she just signed this thing like 2 days ago!! And it took 30 min for one of them to finally call me back. I’m definitely reminding her he can’t come back for 48 hours when she finally gets here to pick him up.
I'll PM you the form I use for sending a child home.
It states directly on the paper the earliest day the child can return to care. It eliminates the parents ability to play dumb about it....

Also, I require parents to respond AND have their child picked up within 30 minutes of my initial contact with them. At 31 minutes, I start charging late fees...

You could set a time limit as to how swiftly the parent replies and picks up depending on how big of a community you live in....all my families work within a few minutes of my daycare and can easily be here and gone within that half hour.

When parents have to start paying these little fees....they realize how quickly they add up and you will see how fast they can act because of it...
littlefriends 08:49 AM 04-10-2019
I'll PM you the form I use for sending a child home.
It states directly on the paper the earliest day the child can return to care. It eliminates the parents ability to play dumb about it....

Also, I require parents to respond AND have their child picked up within 30 minutes of my initial contact with them. At 31 minutes, I start charging late fees...

You could set a time limit as to how swiftly the parent replies and picks up depending on how big of a community you live in....all my families work within a few minutes of my daycare and can easily be here and gone within that half hour.

When parents have to start paying these little fees....they realize how quickly they add up and you will see how fast they can act because of it...
Oh man, yes please send it! Now I’m suuuuuuuper pissed-they picked up 2 hours after I first contacted!
Leigh 12:25 PM 04-10-2019
Major blizzard. I am down to 4 dck's, 2 will be picked up any minute, 1 has parents whose work never lets them leave for weather. The last one, though -Mom is a teacher and school got out 2 hours ago. Why is she still here? There are school busses in the ditches, accidents and stuck cars everywhere. No way would I not have picked up asap! I reminded all yesterday that I charge $200/night if their kids get stranded here, and if she does, it will be at least 2 nights. I almost hope it happens.
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 04-10-2019
Major blizzard. I am down to 4 dck's, 2 will be picked up any minute, 1 has parents whose work never lets them leave for weather. The last one, though -Mom is a teacher and school got out 2 hours ago. Why is she still here? There are school busses in the ditches, accidents and stuck cars everywhere. No way would I not have picked up asap! I reminded all yesterday that I charge $200/night if their kids get stranded here, and if she does, it will be at least 2 nights. I almost hope it happens.
Stay safe! I'm watching the radar as it's suppose to be heading my way too! My area is suppose to get anywhere from 7-15 inches....my brothers live in the Twin Cities area and both said it's horrible there right now....

Hoping your DCM comes quickly...even if that means you're out the $200 per night.... just so you can be free of worry from daycare kids in general.
littlefriends 01:47 PM 04-10-2019
I would too!! $400 would get you a nice little weekend trip somewhere!
Leigh 02:15 PM 04-10-2019
Stay safe! I'm watching the radar as it's suppose to be heading my way too! My area is suppose to get anywhere from 7-15 inches....my brothers live in the Twin Cities area and both said it's horrible there right now....

Hoping your DCM comes quickly...even if that means you're out the $200 per night.... just so you can be free of worry from daycare kids in general.
I'll be safe-I'm not going anywhere for a long time! We have already had 8-9 inches, and we are supposed to end with 25-30 inches. My brother and my nephew live in Blaine-they're supposed to get up to 14 there, too. We had a beautiful weekend that we spent outdoors-it was in the 70's. I just can't take any more winter!
Leigh 02:16 PM 04-10-2019
I would too!! $400 would get you a nice little weekend trip somewhere!
The money would be nice. I want it to happen (almost) just to hit them where it hurts. Their kid never, ever misses a minute of daycare.
gumdrops 07:46 AM 04-11-2019
I just "tried" stepping over a toy that's about knee high to get to a child who was pushing. Tripped, bent my toe nail back (have tennis shoes on), and I think I sprained my big toe. Luckily no kids were in my landing zone. Next time I'll take the 2 seconds to move the toy!
springv 11:26 AM 04-11-2019
Had a girl that's a senior in high school come & volunteer with us for 2 months through our local trade school and wanting 10 hours a week. Trade school calls week ago stating that the following week would be her last week with us. She comes in one day last week to work and our administrator states that the trade school had called and that that week would be her last week and then proceeds to tell this girl that she wants her to work 3 hours the following week because she got paid for four but only worked one and still owes us three hours. One we didn't pay her to start with and two I think she owes us NOTHING
Ariana 05:42 AM 04-12-2019
Mom has the day off for a PD day. Guess who brings the kid here at 7am? Dad

She’ll be here from 7am to 5pm on moms day off. She didn’t even want to eat breakfast with her child
nanglgrl 11:55 AM 04-12-2019
Just a rant...I’ve participated in QRS for 13 years (since it was implemented in my state) and worked my way up to 4 stars. There was a lot of paperwork and jumping through hoops but it was attainable without being overwhelming. I felt that the categories and way of scoring were fair and provided a great way of scoring so that experience and education of the provider both received points. Providers didn’t need a degree in ECE to obtain higher scores and could instead earn points on experience and in other ways. The grants for participation were also a factor as they provided decently for the amount of extra work being QRS rated would cause providers. Most parents don’t care either way but it was a way for me personally to feel more professional.

It’s time for me to renew this summer and I’m looking at the new requirements and can’t imagine that any provider would choose to participate in the new rating scale. Especially a provider with a degree in ECE since even with that degree a provider would have to participate in a ton of additional trainings on subjects that were more thouroughly covered in college courses.. Im at the tail end of my BS in ECE and will be finishing classes this summer. I’ve been a provider for for around 20 years total. 100% inspections and a solid and successful business.. However, the requirements take very little of that in to consideration. The amount of paperwork and hoops to jump through increased 10 fold and yet the grant for participation remained the same. The list of things a provider needs to do looks daunting and would add so many hours of paperwork/training/parent involvement activities I would be surprised if centers participate much less home providers. In addition, most of the things they are requireing are not things my clients would want to participate in. If I were to reapply I’d probably only get 1 or 2 stars because the requirements for 3-5 stars are just way too much work (with little to no actual benefit for children, families or the provider).

I’m just so frustrated. I know that QRS has never been a factor in why a parent chose me, I know this will not make or break my business. I don’t get to charge more due to my QRS rating because most parents don’t even know what it is and if they did it wouldn’t be reason enough to pay more. However, I feel like I’ve worked so hard to obtain something I looked at like a “promotion” in a job where career advancement is basically non-existent only to be told that I’m now getting a demotion.

I know, it’s all in my head but I’m still upset. Why make participation in a program harder when the program already has low participation rates?
Ariana 02:54 PM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Just a rant...I’ve participated in QRS for 13 years (since it was implemented in my state) and worked my way up to 4 stars. There was a lot of paperwork and jumping through hoops but it was attainable without being overwhelming. I felt that the categories and way of scoring were fair and provided a great way of scoring so that experience and education of the provider both received points. Providers didn’t need a degree in ECE to obtain higher scores and could instead earn points on experience and in other ways. The grants for participation were also a factor as they provided decently for the amount of extra work being QRS rated would cause providers. Most parents don’t care either way but it was a way for me personally to feel more professional.

It’s time for me to renew this summer and I’m looking at the new requirements and can’t imagine that any provider would choose to participate in the new rating scale. Especially a provider with a degree in ECE since even with that degree a provider would have to participate in a ton of additional trainings on subjects that were more thouroughly covered in college courses.. Im at the tail end of my BS in ECE and will be finishing classes this summer. I’ve been a provider for for around 20 years total. 100% inspections and a solid and successful business.. However, the requirements take very little of that in to consideration. The amount of paperwork and hoops to jump through increased 10 fold and yet the grant for participation remained the same. The list of things a provider needs to do looks daunting and would add so many hours of paperwork/training/parent involvement activities I would be surprised if centers participate much less home providers. In addition, most of the things they are requireing are not things my clients would want to participate in. If I were to reapply I’d probably only get 1 or 2 stars because the requirements for 3-5 stars are just way too much work (with little to no actual benefit for children, families or the provider).

I’m just so frustrated. I know that QRS has never been a factor in why a parent chose me, I know this will not make or break my business. I don’t get to charge more due to my QRS rating because most parents don’t even know what it is and if they did it wouldn’t be reason enough to pay more. However, I feel like I’ve worked so hard to obtain something I looked at like a “promotion” in a job where career advancement is basically non-existent only to be told that I’m now getting a demotion.

I know, it’s all in my head but I’m still upset. Why make participation in a program harder when the program already has low participation rates?
This is 100% why burnout rates in our profession are so high. Feeling like you do a ton of work for very little recognition or payoff. You feel useless and “what’s the point”. Meanwhile kids would be lucky to be in your program and parents should understand how important your experience and education are.
CountryRoads 01:56 PM 04-15-2019
You're generous once and give someone something at no cost, and then they always expect it after that. Lesson learned!

Not daycare related, BTW. I would never give my services for free
CountryRoads 11:06 AM 04-16-2019
Ugh, another round of illness has hit us again. Coughs, runny noses.

Dcm dropped off dcb this morning. I mentioned he didn't look like he feels good. "I checked and he didn't have a fever this morning, but I still gave him some motrin."

Fats forward to after lunch - has a 101+ fever. Not sure I'm buying that he didn't have a fever this morning...
LysesKids 07:52 PM 04-16-2019
Ugh, another round of illness has hit us again. Coughs, runny noses.

Dcm dropped off dcb this morning. I mentioned he didn't look like he feels good. "I checked and he didn't have a fever this morning, but I still gave him some motrin."

Fats forward to after lunch - has a 101+ fever. Not sure I'm buying that he didn't have a fever this morning...
The fact she gave meds would have been a " take him home & I'll chat with you tonight." moment for me... I never took kids that had been given meds for a non fever, and most my families were good about calling & saying, my little isn't well, no fever, but I'm keeping him home anyway today
Indoorvoice 07:27 AM 04-17-2019
It's always somethimg. Finally got dcb2 to stop screaming at drop off and actually give me a nice hello for the last month. A perfect little transition that I've been feeling awesome about after dealing with a year of horrible drop offs with this little one. Now dcm and dcd have been giving him a pad of paper and a marker in the car to scribble on the way here. They do not take it away before coming in even though I've asked them too so now dcb is screaming when they have to take it away inside and marker gets all over everyone and everything. Why?! Why make it harder on him and themselves? He was doing FINE for a month with nothing, so why introduce this new thing to scream about? I swear some people feed off the drama and just have to make it hard on purpose. Yes, I will be telling them to absolutely not bring the paper anymore, but it just makes me that I even have to. Seems like such a simple thing for them to figure out and handle without the daycare lady having to make a rule and hold their hand through the process.
BumbleBee 05:12 PM 04-17-2019
Dcg4.5 thought it would be a good idea, while in timeout, to stick her leg out and attempt to trip me when I was walking by, with a child in my arms.

Newsflash: it was not a good idea. I avoided it but man I was p*ssed.

Then dcb5.5 thought it was A-ok to haul off and smack someone in the stomach because they accidentally bumped into him when they sat down next to him at snack time.
Josiegirl 02:07 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
Dcg4.5 thought it would be a good idea, while in timeout, to stick her leg out and attempt to trip me when I was walking by, with a child in my arms.

Newsflash: it was not a good idea. I avoided it but man I was p*ssed.

Then dcb5.5 thought it was A-ok to haul off and smack someone in the stomach because they accidentally bumped into him when they sat down next to him at snack time.
What is it with kids these days?? I've had dcks do very similar things and I have to wonder sometimes. Right now I have a 5 yo who thinks nothing of body slamming me, in fun, while I'm kneeling on the floor. Have no clue it's coming. I'm usually next to my 11 mo dck or another child and geesh, I'm 65, easily thrown off balance. She'll also do things such as your 5.5 yo does. There seems to be absolutely no emotional self control with some kids.
VAmomof4 06:57 AM 04-18-2019
Why can't I find the new thread button so I can post on this site??? I spend so much time searching for the blue "new thread" button and can never find it!! Help
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by VAmomof4:
Why can't I find the new thread button so I can post on this site??? I spend so much time searching for the blue "new thread" button and can never find it!! Help
Are you using a smart phone or PC?
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by VAmomof4:
Click this link:https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

On the top left corner of the screen you should see the new thread button

Looks like this:
Attached: Untitled.jpg (102.7 KB) 
Snowmom 08:08 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:

Because their ultimate goal is to have all childcare state run under the guise of "childcare shortage".
They want the money. Participation will some day be required, so they are throwing in all kind of new regs when they can to make difficult and time consuming to complete in the future.

FWIW, I refuse to participate. It will likely be the main reason I leave this profession.
A related note: I went to some of their required trainings because it fit in with some of the training I needed for licensing. It was a room full of about 30-40 providers who were constantly CORRECTING the "trainer" because she was giving false information. False information regarding SUIDS and AHT... imagine how horrible that is given this topic has been the major focus in licensing for the last 5 years.
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Because their ultimate goal is to have all childcare state run under the guise of "childcare shortage".
They want the money. Participation will some day be required, so they are throwing in all kind of new regs when they can to make difficult and time consuming to complete in the future.

FWIW, I refuse to participate. It will likely be the main reason I leave this profession.
A related note: I went to some of their required trainings because it fit in with some of the training I needed for licensing. It was a room full of about 30-40 providers who were constantly CORRECTING the "trainer" because she was giving false information. False information regarding SUIDS and AHT... imagine how horrible that is given this topic has been the major focus in licensing for the last 5 years.
Participation ease and/or difficulties must be directly related to the area and who the coach is similar to the food program.

I participate. Not necessarily because I drank the Kool-aide but more for business reasons and it's super easy.

I really haven't had to do anything different nor have I had to change how I operate in comparison to how I operated prior to signing up.

I understand why so many don't want to participate but so far for me it's been useful. I struggle more with licensing changes and requirements far more than with Parent Aware.
Mom2Two 01:14 PM 04-18-2019
Oh man, yes please send it! Now I’m suuuuuuuper pissed-they picked up 2 hours after I first contacted!
Many of us have fees for late picks on illness calls. My contract says $20 for pick up after 45 minutes per hour or part of an hour. So for picking up 2 hours late after call for sick pick up, I would have charged $40.

That amount is starting to sound a little low to me though...
Mom2Two 01:15 PM 04-18-2019
This is 100% why burnout rates in our profession are so high. Feeling like you do a ton of work for very little recognition or payoff. You feel useless and “what’s the point”. Meanwhile kids would be lucky to be in your program and parents should understand how important your experience and education are.

Ariana 02:01 PM 04-18-2019
So sick of telling parents in a proud moment that their kid is doing XYZ and they say “oh yeah my mom taught her that” or “yes we work on that at home all the time”.

Completely discounting any work I am doing in the 50 hours a week I am with your kid. Yeah you mean grandma who has seen your kid twice in the past 6 months?! Ugh Meanwhile this kid is with me 50 hours a week.....mom even brought her here the whole March break eventhough she was off (and didn’t have to pay) and last week took a day off and had her husband bring her little “princess” promptly at 7am...pickup at 5...usual time. Yeah ok supermom you teach her everything

At this point why even be angry. Its just mostly sad that these people have no appreciation for anything we do day in and day out.
Leigh 01:43 PM 04-19-2019
So sick of telling parents in a proud moment that their kid is doing XYZ and they say “oh yeah my mom taught her that” or “yes we work on that at home all the time”.

Completely discounting any work I am doing in the 50 hours a week I am with your kid. Yeah you mean grandma who has seen your kid twice in the past 6 months?! Ugh Meanwhile this kid is with me 50 hours a week.....mom even brought her here the whole March break eventhough she was off (and didn’t have to pay) and last week took a day off and had her husband bring her little “princess” promptly at 7am...pickup at 5...usual time. Yeah ok supermom you teach her everything

At this point why even be angry. Its just mostly sad that these people have no appreciation for anything we do day in and day out.
I have had SO MANY daycare kids who are SO SMART that they have taught themselves the alphabet, how to count, how to write their letters, phonic sounds, Spanish...I have been so lucky to have all these self-learners so that I can watch TV all day and get paid for it!
CountryRoads 08:04 AM 04-22-2019
After sending out a letter last week asking parents not to medicate their child before dropping off, I had a dcm make a comment about her grouchy, crying, runny-nosed child this morning:

"She hasn't had any Motrin since Saturday, but maybe I should have drugged her up before she came here this morning."

So funny, dcm. So funny.
Pestle 10:01 AM 04-22-2019
It's a Day of Many Gates. My two boys cannot keep their hands to themselves. One is shrieking joyfully at the chaos and misery he can cause, and the other is panicking and howling and yanking on toys because OMG, other people are in the same space as he is and won't let him have ALL THE THINGS.

So, Many Gates.
LostMyMarbles 01:14 PM 04-22-2019
Monday after holiday.. I am tired of crying, over tired crabby kids. The day is almost over.
BumbleBee 05:44 AM 04-23-2019
Yesterday: baby arrives in heavy fleece footie outfit. High yesterday was 75.

Today: baby arrives in short sleeve onesie and pants. No sweater/coat. High today is forecasted at 53. It is currently 34.

Can people not look at the weather report?
Ariana 08:34 AM 04-24-2019

Today: baby arrives in short sleeve onesie and pants. No sweater/coat. High today is forecasted at 53. It is currently 34.

13 month old came in today with a light sweater, no coat, no hat, no shoes. Its 46F
Ac114 12:20 PM 04-24-2019
2nd pack n play In 3 weeks that has been destroyed by the same child. Giant holes that you can stick your whole arm through. 😒😒😒
LittleExplorers 11:30 AM 04-25-2019
Parents who run restaurants at home so their kids will eat drive me crazy.

No mom, who used to provide all organic food for her kiddo, I will not serve ranch at every meal for her nor will I allow you to bring a bottle of it for me to give her.
Cat Herder 02:36 PM 04-25-2019
3rd day in a row.

Last DCP to pick up rolls in at 445, kids excited at the window, passes the driveway and parks at the top of the hill (not the end of the culdesac, that would make more sense) eating an ice cream cone and talking on the phone.

Her kids can see her. All the other kids went by 430. She asks why they seem so upset at pickup lately.

I'm tired so I say "They might like an ice cream, too." She says work has been stressful and she just needs a break sometimes. I tell her I understand but the city park would be a better place for her. So now I'm the bad guy. I might lose sleep over this. Not.

I have spent the last hour and a half of my day, for three days, with her crying kids because of her. I need a break, too.
LysesKids 06:40 PM 04-25-2019
2nd pack n play In 3 weeks that has been destroyed by the same child. Giant holes that you can stick your whole arm through. 😒😒😒
Time to have parent supply the PNP for their child or pay to replace it every time it's destroyed. If the kid can damage it that much, parents must realize the issue
Cat Herder 04:45 AM 04-26-2019
Not a vent, just an update. The above DCM brought me Starbucks this morning.

I almost cried.

Guess whose kids will be going home with the leftover homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from afternoon snack?
CountryRoads 07:49 AM 04-26-2019

I have that problem today. Very chilly outside and 2 dcks are in shorts and sandals.

Dcm: I should've looked at the forecast. It's not very warm out. They don't have any spare clothes, so sorry

AmyKidsCo 01:08 PM 04-26-2019
"Sally" will be 3 in 10 days. Yesterday she kicked 17 mo old "Bob" at drop off. I said "Sally! Don't kick Bob - kids aren't for kicking!" Mom says "Ok, Sally, bye" and goes out the door.

Today, "Sally" hits at "Bob". I say "Sally, don't hit Bob - hitting isn't nice." Mom says nothing and goes out the door.

I get that it's in my house and I took care of it, but a little back-up from mom would've been nice. I would've killed my own kids if they hit/kicked a younger one.
Blackcat31 01:59 PM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
"Sally" will be 3 in 10 days. Yesterday she kicked 17 mo old "Bob" at drop off. I said "Sally! Don't kick Bob - kids aren't for kicking!" Mom says "Ok, Sally, bye" and goes out the door.

Today, "Sally" hits at "Bob". I say "Sally, don't hit Bob - hitting isn't nice." Mom says nothing and goes out the door.

I get that it's in my house and I took care of it, but a little back-up from mom would've been nice. I would've killed my own kids if they hit/kicked a younger one.
Make sure on Monday to let mom know Sally wasn't able to participate in certain activities (for big kids) because apparently Sally's parent isn't reinforcing the "NO HURTING OTHERS" rule at home enough for her to fully absorb/understand it.
Ariana 02:43 PM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Not a vent, just an update. The above DCM brought me Starbucks this morning.

I almost cried.

Guess whose kids will be going home with the leftover homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from afternoon snack?
That little gesture of appreciation really goes a long way doesn’t it! The mom of my most difficult kids brings me coffee and cookies every now and again and it is so nic when we feel supported .

I hope you enjoyed the ice cream!!!
Indoorvoice 07:47 AM 04-29-2019
My favorite family has not paid me for 2 weeks! I get paid online and normally don't check right away because I have never had payment issues. Well I noticed Monday last week that my favorite family hadn't paid for the week before. I get paid Fridays for that current week. I know I know! I didn't say anything or think much of it because they had a really rough week being in and out of the hospital with a family member. So I did not add on a late fee, sent a reminder and figured mom would figure it out on pay day that she forgot the previous week and would take care of it all at the same time. Well I have no idea what was going on last week but the kids were dropped off and picked up by grandma every day last week so I did not get to bring up payment in person. I sent several messages with no reply. Come Friday, no payment for either week. They left Saturday for vacation and will not be here this week so I'm guessing I'll get another week of no pay even though I don't give free vacation time. This is supposed to be a friend. I'm kind of hurt and thinking she might be on the verge of leaving or something! She has never ever missed a payment. I know I messed this up myself by not adding a late fee and letting them come last week without paying. Just didn't think this family out of all people would do this.
Josiegirl 09:42 AM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
My favorite family has not paid me for 2 weeks! I get paid online and normally don't check right away because I have never had payment issues. Well I noticed Monday last week that my favorite family hadn't paid for the week before. I get paid Fridays for that current week. I know I know! I didn't say anything or think much of it because they had a really rough week being in and out of the hospital with a family member. So I did not add on a late fee, sent a reminder and figured mom would figure it out on pay day that she forgot the previous week and would take care of it all at the same time. Well I have no idea what was going on last week but the kids were dropped off and picked up by grandma every day last week so I did not get to bring up payment in person. I sent several messages with no reply. Come Friday, no payment for either week. They left Saturday for vacation and will not be here this week so I'm guessing I'll get another week of no pay even though I don't give free vacation time. This is supposed to be a friend. I'm kind of hurt and thinking she might be on the verge of leaving or something! She has never ever missed a payment. I know I messed this up myself by not adding a late fee and letting them come last week without paying. Just didn't think this family out of all people would do this.
Oh wow and she never even replied when you sent messages. Doesn't sound good. Yeh, I'm thinking she won't be returning but I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice. I hope, for your sake, she pays you everything she owes you!!! It's a hard enough job but if you're doing it as volunteer work, it really takes any fun out of it.
Tags:social media, vent
First ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61  ... Last
Reply Up