Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Exhausted 5 Year Old
Hunni Bee 10:59 AM 04-29-2019
Dcb 5.2. He still naps at home because he desperately needs to. At school, he thrashes, talks to himself, slaps himself awake if he feels himself falling asleep. In the afternoon, he's very whiny and unpleasant because he's so tired.

I try to ignore and just remind him that he feels so yucky because he's tired, but he's screaming in people's faces and falling to floor sobbing every 5 minutes WWYD?
Mom2Two 11:44 AM 04-29-2019
IMO This sounds serious. I would require a medical note showing that a proper doctor visit has happened, and I would want a good medical care plan for going forward.

I would feel so uncomfortable giving care to a child who seems to have a significant problem that is not being taken seriously. It's such a dump on the part of the parent.
Ariana 12:04 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
IMO This sounds serious. I would require a medical note showing that a proper doctor visit has happened, and I would want a good medical care plan for going forward.

I would feel so uncomfortable giving care to a child who seems to have a significant problem that is not being taken seriously. It's such a dump on the part of the parent.
Totally agree with this especially because there should not be a reason he is so tired if he is in bed at night and naps during the day. At 5 the recommendation for sleep is only 10-12 hours which should not be hard to get.

I had a 5 year old who was really tired and her mom let her stay up reading in her room until 10-11pm at night. She also had unmanaged sensitivities to food. I was only dealing with her for an hour after school but it is not at all normal for a 5 year old to be exhausted.
hwichlaz 08:47 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Totally agree with this especially because there should not be a reason he is so tired if he is in bed at night and naps during the day. At 5 the recommendation for sleep is only 10-12 hours which should not be hard to get.

I had a 5 year old who was really tired and her mom let her stay up reading in her room until 10-11pm at night. She also had unmanaged sensitivities to food. I was only dealing with her for an hour after school but it is not at all normal for a 5 year old to be exhausted.
Is she coming to you after shcool? The bus stops on the corner by my house right in the middle of nap time. Is there a reason she can't take a nap after school? Kinders here nap AT school too, if they need it.
Ariana 07:29 AM 04-30-2019
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Is she coming to you after shcool? The bus stops on the corner by my house right in the middle of nap time. Is there a reason she can't take a nap after school? Kinders here nap AT school too, if they need it.
Was this addressed to me?! This particular kid is now in high school! But no she wouldn’t nap at school and she wouldn’t nap here after school either...she would just mope around, not moving much complaining she was tired. She also had black circles under her eyes. There was a lot of drama in her household back then and they were my very first daycare family so I never got involved much.
Hunni Bee 07:42 AM 04-30-2019
He's kind of a pale, puny little guy, also with perpetual black circles. He eats well and he would be well-rested but he fights nap so hard. At 3 he's been up for approximately 9 hours and he just can't anymore. I just don't know how to get to stop fighting his body signals.
Rockgirl 03:16 PM 04-30-2019
My grandson fights sleep at nap, too. I asked my daughter to bring him a weighted blanket, and it has been a total game-changer! He settles so quickly now, and sleeps soundly throughout nap. It’s only a 5 lb one.
Tags:tired kids
Reply Up