Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Exhausted
VAmomof4 02:03 PM 05-03-2019
OMG does anyone have a DCK that constantly ask questions and already knows the answer to ALL of them?!?
I have answered the questions, asked her what the answers are, told her she's a smart kid and doesn't need to keep asking the same questions, and lastly told her that I'm not going to answer the question because she already knows the answer! I feel bad but it's exhausting! I think she's just doing it for attention. Thoughts?
coloradoprovider 05:24 PM 05-03-2019
"What do you think?" or "Why do you think that is?" Let her answer her own questions.
Josiegirl 02:17 AM 05-04-2019
I have 2 toddlers who just learned the word why.

I like PP's answer, short and sweet. I think some kids are just programmed with a why button.
Msdunny 05:00 AM 05-04-2019
Originally Posted by coloradoprovider:
"What do you think?" or "Why do you think that is?" Let her answer her own questions.
This is what I usually do. Sometimes, if I'm feeling snarky, I'll answer everything with a nonsense answer. For example - I'm washing dishes. I get the "what are you doing?" question. It is very obvious what I am doing, so I answer with "Playing basketball". And then we both laugh and they go on their merry way.
Pestle 04:10 AM 05-06-2019
I have one who asks the same question repeatedly. I have taken to saying "what was my answer the last time you asked me that question?" to which the child responds, "I don't know." Then I say "since I have already answered your question one time, I will wait for you to remember what I told you." The kid is never listening. The kid talks over me and anxiously asks questions like, "what's going to be on our plates?" and "do I get water, too?" when I am getting the food out.

Dude. You have been coming for over a year, and I have never not fed you.
LostMyMarbles 08:56 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I have one who asks the same question repeatedly. I have taken to saying "what was my answer the last time you asked me that question?" to which the child responds, "I don't know." Then I say "since I have already answered your question one time, I will wait for you to remember what I told you." The kid is never listening. The kid talks over me and anxiously asks questions like, "what's going to be on our plates?" and "do I get water, too?" when I am getting the food out.

Dude. You have been coming for over a year, and I have never not fed you.
Yup. I have this kid too. Somebody will ask what is for lunch. I answer, and my dcb asked what’s for lunch. I say the same thing I just told dcg.

Frustrating for sure. I do the try and remember thing too.
MamaG2903 11:01 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
This is what I usually do. Sometimes, if I'm feeling snarky, I'll answer everything with a nonsense answer. For example - I'm washing dishes. I get the "what are you doing?" question. It is very obvious what I am doing, so I answer with "Playing basketball". And then we both laugh and they go on their merry way.
Haha, I do the same. I always tell them I'm swimming and they look at me like I'm absolutely insane
Mom2Two 01:48 PM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by coloradoprovider:

Originally Posted by Msdunny:
Originally Posted by MamaG2903:

Haha, I do the same. I always tell them I'm swimming and they look at me like I'm absolutely insane
So funny! I hadn't thought of this one. I'll file it away for future use.
Josiegirl 02:13 AM 05-07-2019
We were outside yesterday and could hear a chainsaw somewhere in the neighborhood but no clue where it was. My sweet 2.5 yo dcg must've told me 100x she wanted to see it. When I told her I didn't know where it was she'd keep asking why. We must've had that same conversation for 20 minutes straight.
CeriBear 05:53 AM 05-08-2019
I work in a large center and my kids are always asking me what’s for lunch and what’s for snack. I have no say in what the kitchen plans for meals and it’s almost like my kids think I can read minds. I like to make a joke out of it and say something funny. The other day I got asked what we were having for snack and I said fried pickles and cranberry sauce. The kids laughed and said “eww.”

I also get asked why a lot.
MK “Ms. Ceri, what are you doing?”
Me “Cleaning the tables before we eat.”
MK “Why?”

DE “Ms Ceri, can we go outside?”
Me “No, it’s raining.”
DE “Why?”
Rockgirl 06:04 AM 05-08-2019
I’ve started saying, “You know.” Then I just keep going about my business.
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 05-08-2019
Like many providers, I subscribe to numerous blogs relating to children, parenting and child care. Somewhere, eons ago I bookmarked this really cool blog entry about how to manage this type of situation. It was really a cool way to handle it and depending on the age of the kids you are dealing with, it may be useful so I thought I'd share:

"We probably have trained our child that if they’ve ask enough times, they might get a new response. So, like any dog trainer will tell you, IT’S ON US to change our behavior.

Here are the steps she recommends to end child nagging and negotiating. In her example, “Daniel” is asking to dig a hole in the yard in five-minute increments.

Step One: Ask, “Have you ever heard of ‘Asked and Answered’?” (He’ll probably say no.)

Step Two: Ask, “Did you ask me a question about digging a hole?” (He’ll say yes.)

Step Three: Ask, “Did I answer it?” (He’ll probably say, “Yes, but, I really ….”)

Step Four: Ask, “Do I look like the kind of mom/dad/teacher who will change her/his mind if you ask me the same thing over and over?” (Chances are Daniel will walk away, maybe with a frustrated grunt, and engage in something else.)

Step Five: If Daniel asks again, simply say, “Asked and Answered.” (No other words are necessary!) Once this technique has been established, these are the only words you should need to say to address nagging questions.

A commenter on Amy’s site said that she had a similar strategy, but used the abbreviation “EOD” with her kids, which she had taught them meant “End of Discussion.”

Hunni Bee 10:14 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Like many providers, I subscribe to numerous blogs relating to children, parenting and child care. Somewhere, eons ago I bookmarked this really cool blog entry about how to manage this type of situation. It was really a cool way to handle it and depending on the age of the kids you are dealing with, it may be useful so I thought I'd share:

"We probably have trained our child that if they’ve ask enough times, they might get a new response. So, like any dog trainer will tell you, IT’S ON US to change our behavior.

Here are the steps she recommends to end child nagging and negotiating. In her example, “Daniel” is asking to dig a hole in the yard in five-minute increments.

Step One: Ask, “Have you ever heard of ‘Asked and Answered’?” (He’ll probably say no.)

Step Two: Ask, “Did you ask me a question about digging a hole?” (He’ll say yes.)

Step Three: Ask, “Did I answer it?” (He’ll probably say, “Yes, but, I really ….”)

Step Four: Ask, “Do I look like the kind of mom/dad/teacher who will change her/his mind if you ask me the same thing over and over?” (Chances are Daniel will walk away, maybe with a frustrated grunt, and engage in something else.)

Step Five: If Daniel asks again, simply say, “Asked and Answered.” (No other words are necessary!) Once this technique has been established, these are the only words you should need to say to address nagging questions.

A commenter on Amy’s site said that she had a similar strategy, but used the abbreviation “EOD” with her kids, which she had taught them meant “End of Discussion.”
omg thank you!! I am being driven plumb out of my mind. 😵
Firefly 10:25 AM 05-08-2019
I have had those kids. I have one right now that keeps repeating my name constantly. When I say “what” you can tell he’s trying to think of something to ask me. I used to watch a dcb who constantly asked “why” and it drove me crazy. He was one of the first kids I watched when I first opened and I would think what have I gotten myself into?! All I would have to do is turn my head and he would ask “what are you doing?”
Tags:smart kids, too many questions
Reply Up