Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Fees
Firefly 09:35 AM 05-28-2019
If a family with two kids picks up late then do you charge double the late fee for them or is it the same flat rate per family no matter how many kids? I never specified this in my contract and now wondering what to charge.
BumbleBee 09:40 AM 05-28-2019
Mine is $1 per minute per child. I have it written that way in my handbook though. So I'm not much help.
Baby Beluga 09:51 AM 05-28-2019
Yes, mine are per child, not per family. It is also specified in my contract.

Was a family with more than one child late? If so, if I were in your shoes I think I would just charge one late fee for the family this time, then send out a contract amendment stating that late fees are now per child, not family.
Firefly 09:51 AM 05-28-2019
I do have late fees in my contract but it states $10 per 15 minutes and she was 15 minutes late so didn’t know if I should charge 10 or 20.
Jupadia 11:01 AM 05-28-2019
If you have separate contracts in that case for each child then I would charge it per child. If the children are on a joint contract then i just charge per family.
Firefly 12:50 PM 05-28-2019
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
If you have separate contracts in that case for each child then I would charge it per child. If the children are on a joint contract then i just charge per family.
Yes they are on separate contracts.
Mom2Two 12:50 PM 05-28-2019
I just charge per family. Make sure that your contract is clear about the details and then follow it.
Pestle 01:41 PM 05-28-2019
My contract says "$1.00 per minute per child" for late fees and "$15 per day per child" for late payment fees.

You're still caring for multiple kids when they don't pick up on time. They need to pay you for that care.
Cat Herder 01:51 PM 05-28-2019
My contract only says "Arrival before 7:30 AM or after 5:30 PM will incur an early/late charge of $1.00 per minute."

I feel it is clear that it intends per child as each child enrolled has their own contract in their file, regardless of parentage. I have not had to defend it in court so far, but feel fairly confident in its clarity.
Blackcat31 01:53 PM 05-28-2019
Mine says “per child” however if you charge individual rates for individual children then I think you should charge individual late fees. Only makes sense. 😊
Cat Herder 01:55 PM 05-28-2019
Originally Posted by Firefly:
Yes they are on separate contracts.
This should make it clear, IMHO. Per child.
Cat Herder 01:56 PM 05-28-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
if you charge individual rates for individual children then I think you should charge individual late fees. Only makes sense. 😊
That, too.

Seems pretty cut and dried to me.
Rockgirl 02:13 PM 05-28-2019
Another thing to consider: it seems that when it’s X amount for the first 15 (or any number) of minutes, they will push it right to the last of those minutes. My late pickup time starts one minute after closing. They make the effort to not be even a little bit late.
Tags:contract - clear, enforcing policies - consistency, late fees
Reply Up