Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Allow DCPs to Use the Bathroom?
LITTLESTARS 07:00 AM 09-03-2019
I hate letting parents use my bathroom, the very few times I let them us it is if their child has an accident on drop off time, I use the bathroom for my own family but for the dc kids as well, we make sure its always cleaned we clean the bathroom two times a day and some times I like to bleach the bathroom at night time so its very clean and organized. I have a parent I just gave two weeks notice , she would just walk in talk to all my other kids and then go to the bathroom with not even asking, my assistant last week didn't even know she had walked in while she was getting dcbs shoes on. I came in from the back yard with two of my older dcks and their she walks out of the bathroom , she has an obsession with my bathroom, my staff hears her going through the daycare cabinet I have and my personal use one I have under lock . I told her that the rest room is only the daycare and personal, my older son told me she even tried to open my bedroom door which I keep under lock . I confronted her and gave her the 2 weeks , she got so upset even telling me that she is going to report me to my state licensor ha ha ha ha. good luck with that I told myself.

what is your policy for parents using the bathroom ?
or do they even ask?
Cat Herder 07:06 AM 09-03-2019
My guest bath is for guests, so it would not be an issue. That said, parents do not enter my home without being invited in. Drop-offs and pick-ups are on the covered front porch. Few parents come in on a regular basis for anything other than conferences.

Walking into homes without being invited is not a cultural norm, here. Now, once they are invited in, custom mandates I offer them a glass of sweet tea, soooo... Now, we are back to the guest bathroom.
CountryRoads 07:10 AM 09-03-2019
I've never had a parent ask to use the bathroom.

My daycare is on a separate floor, so I wouldn't mind if they used the daycare bathroom. I would not be happy if they used our personal one upstairs, though.

It sounds like this mom is just nosy. I'm sure she just came from her home - where there is a bathroom - and is headed somewhere where there is also a bathroom. How awkward of her.

On a side note, I always put myself in the parents' position and most of the time I'm thinking "I would never do that to my daycare provider." Some people are just clueless, or just don't care.
Snowmom 07:11 AM 09-03-2019
Wow. That mom is ballsy.

I had a dad go through my cupboards during an interview once. I never enrolled them though... that was such a rude thing to do in my opinion. I don't care if it is daycare space. I expect some level of respect.

To answer your question: yes, I do. But it's a guest 1/2 bath right next to the door. No going into my living area or other parts of the home. That's my space and if it happened, I'd correct them (probably rather abruptly and to be honest, rudely in return).
Ariana 08:01 AM 09-03-2019
Like the others have said I have a powder room or 1/2 bath right near my entrance that is mostly used by guests so I don’t mind. I have only had 2-3 parents ever use it in all my years of daycare so this lady is a bit odd!!
LITTLESTARS 08:17 AM 09-03-2019
she just gets on my nerves 4 more days to go, and she isa gone
Blackcat31 08:39 AM 09-03-2019
In all the years I've been in business only a couple parents ask to use the bathroom.

I don't think it's abnormal but if I thought for one second a parent was doing more than simply using the bathroom, I would no longer allow them to do so.

I would be super pissed if I caught a DCP doing what yours is doing. Hoping these 4 days go quickly for you!
Rockgirl 10:37 AM 09-03-2019
Just curious....since she yelled and threatened to report you to licensing, are you letting her continue care for the two weeks? I mean....no way in $&@# would I allow her back after that.
e.j. 12:13 PM 09-03-2019
I have a 1/2 bathroom on my first floor that the kids/guests use so I don't mind if a parent needs to use it. Parents rarely ask, though. Only one dcm used to use it on a regular basis and I think it was only because she downed a fair amount of coffee on her way over to drop her kids off in the morning. I wouldn't be happy if anyone went through my cabinets, though. That's just rude and disrespectful!
knoxmomof2 01:30 PM 09-03-2019
In 7 years, I've had maybe 5 requests. A couple were to change the child into a special outfit because they were headed to a special event straight from my house and they lived half an hour in the other direction. It's usually done apologetically in any case.

Good for you for terming! If I had any concerns about a parent doing so, I would find a reason to discontinue access for them, or in your case where she was attempting to access multiple private areas, I would make it very obvious that I was unhappy, remind her of boundaries and term if nothing changed.
LITTLESTARS 07:29 AM 09-04-2019
nope I told her last night not to come back after she actually called my licensor. My licensor told me not to open the door for her, this but as is state regulations when a parent complains she has to do a visit , but I'm not worried about it.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 09-04-2019
Originally Posted by LITTLESTARS:
nope I told her last night not to come back after she actually called my licensor. My licensor told me not to open the door for her, this but as is state regulations when a parent complains she has to do a visit , but I'm not worried about it.
She seriously called your licensor because you won't let her rummage through your bathroom? SMH.

I'm glad you are done with her. Wow!
Cat Herder 08:16 AM 09-04-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
She seriously called your licensor because you won't let her rummage through your bathroom? SMH.

I'm glad you are done with her. Wow!
The pathetic thing here is that it would work. Nothing is to be stored in the bathroom, that children use, that says "keep out of reach of children" unless it is up high or in a locked cabinet. The inspectors do open all my cabinets and drawers and parents are encouraged to do so. It is considered daycare space. I only keep towels, soap (up high), diaper wipes and washcloths in there.
Unregistered 08:39 AM 09-04-2019
Ping pong balls are fun to keep in cupboards... if you catch my frift
Cat Herder 08:43 AM 09-04-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Ping pong balls are fun to keep in cupboards... if you catch my frift
Or those cat spray cans that give a loud blast of air.
Baby Beluga 08:43 AM 09-04-2019
We have 2 bathrooms here - one in our master and one that is used by guests/DCK's and my own kids.

I am anal about bathrooms being clean. I used to have a DCD who would ask to use it upon pick up, not sure why because he was coming from home to get his kids. Anyway, he would make a holy terror of a mess! Water spots all over the mirror, he wouldn't put the towel back, soap/lotion bottles would be moved. Drove me nuts. Aside from that I've only had one DCM ask when she was pregnant.
hwichlaz 09:18 AM 09-04-2019
Of course, they can use the bathroom...this is their child's second home. The kid's bathroom is shared by daycare and my own kids, but I have my own separate master bath. They do all have bathrooms at home, but some of my parents travel nearly an hour to get here. I live near their work and not their home. It's not often that it happens, but it does occasionally. Especially when I have a pregnant client, lol. They just have to remove their shoes to walk past the entryway.
Tags:guest bathroom, nosy nelly, parents using bathroom, public bathroom, restroom
Reply Up