Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Irresponsible
CountryRoads 08:28 AM 05-06-2019
Dcm is a slight mess. She has 2 kids enrolled and she doesn't ever have control of them when she picks up.

My daycare is downstairs and for right now, everyone comes in through the upstairs and heads down. Come this summer/fall, we will have it where they just come in through the downstairs to get rid of some problems I had this year.

Anyways, she lets her children run loose wherever. Once she's outside, she takes 1 kid at a time to her car and leaves the other run wherever. He runs on our deck, he runs almost to the road, he hides under our deck, he tries to run around back. Literally wherever he wants to go. I'm so terrified one of the is going to get hurt. Her youngest has already fallen down the stairs due to her letting them run free.

Is there a nice way to let her know that I don't like her kids going where they aren't supposed to? Like I said, once they come in through the downstairs, there will be no access to certain areas. BUT, they still run all outside wherever and we have animals and equipment that is not meant for kids.

Or, is it her problem and I should just enjoy watching her trying to catch her children?
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Dcm is a slight mess. She has 2 kids enrolled and she doesn't ever have control of them when she picks up.

My daycare is downstairs and for right now, everyone comes in through the upstairs and heads down. Come this summer/fall, we will have it where they just come in through the downstairs to get rid of some problems I had this year.

Anyways, she lets her children run loose wherever. Once she's outside, she takes 1 kid at a time to her car and leaves the other run wherever. He runs on our deck, he runs almost to the road, he hides under our deck, he tries to run around back. Literally wherever he wants to go. I'm so terrified one of the is going to get hurt. Her youngest has already fallen down the stairs due to her letting them run free.

Is there a nice way to let her know that I don't like her kids going where they aren't supposed to? Like I said, once they come in through the downstairs, there will be no access to certain areas. BUT, they still run all outside wherever and we have animals and equipment that is not meant for kids.

Or, is it her problem and I should just enjoy watching her trying to catch her children?
If her children are injured while on your property (whether due to her not supervising or not) YOU are responsible.

I don't think "nice" is going to solve your issue.

I would straight up let her know she is to control her children or you'll have to consider terminating services.

I refuse to allow someone else to put my livelihood at risk.

Like Cat Herder keeps pointing out... parent. It's a verb.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

I am continually surprised at how little control adults have over their children now days.
Cat Herder 10:23 AM 05-06-2019
"DCM, I need you to hold both of your children's hands until they are securely in your car. "

The inevitable: but he won't let me.....

"If he won't hold your hand to the car then you need to hold his hand, or send someone else who will to pick him up from now on. This cannot continue. It is unsafe."
Ariana 10:52 AM 05-06-2019
I would explain that for insurance purposes she must be in control of her children at all times and that letting them run amok is a liability for you. Let her know that termination might happen if this issue continues.

I have had to use this excuse for letting kids walk up and down the stairs holding the rail and using two feet rather than going up and down on all fours. I let the parents know that this is how I do it for liability reasons and they are free to do what they want once they are at home. I have not had any pushback on that.
CountryRoads 12:27 PM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If her children are injured while on your property (whether due to her not supervising or not) YOU are responsible.

I don't think "nice" is going to solve your issue.

I would straight up let her know she is to control her children or you'll have to consider terminating services.

I refuse to allow someone else to put my livelihood at risk.

Like Cat Herder keeps pointing out... parent. It's a verb.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

I am continually surprised at how little control adults have over their children now days.
I didn't think about the fact that I could be responsible! Yikes!!
Mom2Two 01:31 PM 05-06-2019
to all of the above.

Don't worry about being nice. What nice way is there to say that you are at risk of liability and it's unacceptable? Just speak plain without being mean.

There are such things as child leashes. If push comes to shove she can buy some of those.

But running wild on your property...no!
tlemother 02:33 PM 05-06-2019
I can envision her trying to carry both to the car at the same time and falling with them.
Rockgirl 03:13 PM 05-06-2019
I don’t get why she can’t manage to get two children to a car at the same time.
CeriBear 07:22 AM 05-07-2019
How old are these kids? If she can’t pick up both of them she could at least hold both their hands while she took them to the car.

I’d just tell her like it is. No need to be nice. Such behavior is very unsafe.
LostMyMarbles 09:01 AM 05-07-2019
Parents can just completely over think things and create drama. Good grief! I had 3 kids and had no issues getting them in the car.

If you can’t be bold, tell mom “licensing said” she needs to take both kids at one time as to not leave one unattended. Remind her it would be bad for all if you lost your license.
Tags:parent - its a verb, pick up - conversations, pickup
Reply Up