Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Hate to Complain but.......
lovemykidstoo 04:41 AM 05-20-2019
I only have 3 today. The first one is my full time, pull in the driveway at 7:29 person. I open at 7:30. The other one is 8:00 on the nose. The third one is usually about 8:00. I get out of bed, start getting ready and my 7:29/7:30 texts and says grandma is bringing him at 8:30. I finish getting ready, grab my coffee, sit and check on here and my 8:00 texts me and says she doesnt' have to be to work until later, so she's bringing him at 9:00. Like seriously people, I could have slept in. You knew this last night!

These 2 are under my skin anyway. The 7:30 one is going to be a challenge because dad is out of the country for work and God forbid mom handle that 1 perfectly behaved child on her own. I'm sure grandma will come to town to save the day. Dad had Friday off to get things done before he left and left junior here 9 hours. Dad is going out of the country for 2 weeks, coming home for 2 days and going again for a week. Nice that he wanted to spend time with him before he left.

The one getting dropped off at 9:00 because mom has to work at 11:00.

So how to delicately let them know that changing their schedule around for drop off is fine, but if I can sleep longer I would appreciate the night before knowing?
Cat Herder 06:10 AM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
So how to delicately let them know that changing their schedule around for drop off is fine, but if I can sleep longer I would appreciate the night before knowing?
I wouldn't. It opens the door to them asking for exceptions outside of operating hours in return.

If they were arriving past breakfast, I'd mention being sure to feed them before drop off. I am more protective of no drop-offs after 9 than I am anything else.
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 05-20-2019

My opinion will be the unpopular one but I think it's unprofessional overall.

You are a business and if you want clients to treat you as such, you should simply follow your hours. (unless you have really specific policies in regards to contracted hours and use of)

If your hours are 7:30-5:00, I think you should be ready for business at 7:30 whether customers are prompt or not.

You are still paid for that time so really it's not costing you anything. It's not even costing you sleep as you expected them anyways so they are the ones it is "costing".

I know everyone always says "I could have got more sleep" or "I could have slept in" and kind of like we tell parents "fix it on their end".
You could go to bed earlier if you are lacking sleep.

I am not saying any of that with the intent to be rude.
I just wanted to share my honest opinion about the topic.
I am sorry so many parents were late this morning... but I do think it was polite of them to let you know verses simply not showing up at all.
Cat Herder 06:39 AM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My opinion will be the unpopular one but I think it's unprofessional overall.
Yours is not the only unpopular opinion. I deleted that almost word for word in an attempt to be softer in my delivery. It is not natural for me to beat around the bush so much but I am trying. When we try to tiptoe around our policies it gives them permission to do the same. Credibility is lost.
lovemykidstoo 06:51 AM 05-20-2019
Thank you for your posts.
Cat Herder 06:59 AM 05-20-2019
Thank you for your posts.
I know it is irritating. I had over an hour wait this morning before my first arrival and had wasted eggs from the breakfast I prepared.

The dogs loved the cold eggs. I will use the biscuits, melon and jam for morning snack. I also had time to clean out one junk drawer in the kitchen.

Sure, that was not how I planned the morning, but it is how it worked out. At least I won't get stabbed with a mini screwdriver again when I go in that drawer this afternoon for twine.
Firefly 07:13 AM 05-20-2019
I think it’s common curtesy to let you know the night before if they know they won’t be there on time. I’ve had this happen many times and it’s so frustrating. Like one dad who worked second shift but would bring child at opening sometimes. Other times if dad was tired he would sleep in while I’m waiting for them for hours. I don’t have a drop off deadline though. I don’t mind if kids get dropped off late, I just like to know. I’m sorry, I don’t know what the answer is though. It’s one of my biggest pet peeves.
Mom2Two 11:31 AM 05-20-2019
I would just suck this one up.

But if you are not getting enough sleep, could you get to bed earlier or switch to later hours?

DH used to work more swing shifts than he does now, so I used to actively look for kids that didn't start til 8 am, which is when he often got up.
lovemykidstoo 11:42 AM 05-20-2019
lol I'm not that tired really it's just the point that if you know your child is the first one here 5 days a week and he's going to be much much later coming then it would have been nice to know the night before. Her mom came from out of town, so she knew that it was happening probably since Friday. I could have done a few things since i was already up. I could have taken the dog for a walk, could have ran and got a coffee etc. I know I'm getting paid anyway, but I just think it's a courtesy thing if you know your first of the day. Not a huge deal I guess.
Rockgirl 02:30 PM 05-20-2019
I’ve had a few mornings lately where the usual early-arrivers haven’t shown up at their normal time. I sat on my patio with an extra cup of coffee. I could’ve done something productive, but I really enjoyed the quiet!
e.j. 07:29 PM 05-20-2019
lol I'm not that tired really it's just the point that if you know your child is the first one here 5 days a week and he's going to be much much later coming then it would have been nice to know the night before. Her mom came from out of town, so she knew that it was happening probably since Friday. I could have done a few things since i was already up. I could have taken the dog for a walk, could have ran and got a coffee etc. I know I'm getting paid anyway, but I just think it's a courtesy thing if you know your first of the day. Not a huge deal I guess.
I agree with what BC wrote but can totally relate to how you feel, too. I have a couple of kids who come earlier than the others. There are 4 of us in my own family trying to get ready for work in the morning. We've worked out a schedule so that we don't get in each others' way. Most mornings I'm moving quickly to get ready for my first arrival. There have been days when it would have been nice to know that I didn't have to rush. Also, there are mornings when I get downstairs only to realize I need to use the bathroom but I decide to wait since the parents will be dropping off any second. So I wait...and wait...and wait.... thinking they're going to show up any minute and I don't want to be in the bathroom when they walk in ...only to find that a half hour later, my eyes are floating and I'm still waiting and thinking, "They'll be coming in at any time now!" I do look at late arrivals as a gift - a little quiet time in the morning for me to relax, read or get a couple of things done that I wouldn't have had time to do if I had slept in but most mornings, it would still be nice to know when they're going to be late so I could plan accordingly.
lovemykidstoo 04:27 AM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I agree with what BC wrote but can totally relate to how you feel, too. I have a couple of kids who come earlier than the others. There are 4 of us in my own family trying to get ready for work in the morning. We've worked out a schedule so that we don't get in each others' way. Most mornings I'm moving quickly to get ready for my first arrival. There have been days when it would have been nice to know that I didn't have to rush. Also, there are mornings when I get downstairs only to realize I need to use the bathroom but I decide to wait since the parents will be dropping off any second. So I wait...and wait...and wait.... thinking they're going to show up any minute and I don't want to be in the bathroom when they walk in ...only to find that a half hour later, my eyes are floating and I'm still waiting and thinking, "They'll be coming in at any time now!" I do look at late arrivals as a gift - a little quiet time in the morning for me to relax, read or get a couple of things done that I wouldn't have had time to do if I had slept in but most mornings, it would still be nice to know when they're going to be late so I could plan accordingly.

Oh my gosh yes lol. Now I take my phone with me because I can access my video camera on it. If I see them pull up I try to go faster in the bathroom hahaha! I have a fool proof way to get one of my dcg's here and that's to start my breakfast. Her mom owns a salon so her schedule varies depending on her appts. So I wait and wait and the way to get her to show up is to start making my breakfast. Works every time lol
knoxmomof2 06:33 AM 05-21-2019
I ask my DCP to communicate with me about any changes ASAP so that I can plan my day properly. I started doing that at the interview with my last 2 families and they're great about it.

My Husband also thinks that I should just be open and not worry about it, but I agreed to open at 7:15 - 45 minutes early- for my first family in. They know that, and yet I've had them arrive at 9:15 before with no notice. I do think it's inconsiderate of them, but I think they assume we just sit here with nothing better to do and that some other child is here anyway. I think communicating with them is how you might have a chance at changing it.

Short of asking for them to notify you of any schedule changes ASAP so that you are able to better plan your day, and being clear about that with new clients, I don't know what to tell you but I agree that it is very annoying.
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
I agreed to open at 7:15 - 45 minutes early- for my first family in. They know that, and yet I've had them arrive at 9:15 before with no notice.
I would NOT be okay with that.
Outside of normal hours, ANYTHING special is available ONLY when it's respected. Not showing up on time without notice would eliminate their option of using care outside my normal hours of availability.
happymom 07:52 AM 05-21-2019
I agree with blackcat. I can only assume she was waiting for you to open to text as well. Since coming late is not seen as an emergency, she shouldn't be texting you in your off time to let you know her child will be late either.
Josiegirl 10:23 AM 05-21-2019
To me, it'd be annoying but would let it go. If they made a habit of it I'd bring it up and ask them to adjust their hours accordingly, or let you know the day before or something. Yes, I've had breakfasts prepared for a certain number of kiddos and had the numbers change drastically. I've held onto my bathroom needs for the same reasons another poster mentioned. My hours have been 7-5 and I have a couple dcfs contracted for those hours, JIC, yet they usually pull in at 7:30ish. Once in awhile I'll need to make a run to the store at 7 so I'll send a text telling them I'll be back by 7:05 and ask if that's a problem.
It bothers me a lot more when they tell me they're picking little Johnnie up at 3 and still come at their regular time of 5.
lovemykidstoo 10:36 AM 05-21-2019
Yea I ended up not saying anything, but at pickup I did ask if she was dropping off in the morning. She is normally here at 7:30. Today it was 8:00 because Jr wouldn't "let her" change his diaper and then it was a 15 minute tantrum after that and then she had to fight him to get his coat on. lol I never have any problem at all with him. Wait until he's 3 if she thinks he's a challenge now
Mom2Two 01:40 PM 05-22-2019
Another option is a fee for unannounced very late arrivals. In the past I’ve had families who were super inconsistent with drop offs and they were my first family scheduled to arrive in the mornings. This was back in the later swing shift DH days, andalso DD wad younger. I explained that if I knew eta, I could use my time better.

It’s not so much of an issue for me anymore like it used to be back then. I guess it’s a matter of just how much the situation is cramping your style.
Ariana 02:47 PM 05-22-2019
I always love it when I am up and ready to go and everyone is late! Its like a little blessing that I get to lounge around, enjoy a second cup of coffee. I can see it being irritating though for sure . Unfortunately my early kid is NEVER late
CountryRoads 02:55 PM 05-22-2019
I'm up at the same time everyday, so it wouldn't make a difference to me. Communication would be nice, though!

There's a family that I open 20 minutes early for, but was supposed to start in June. So, I'm not expecting early drop offs until next month. Guess who has showed up early 3 days this month with no notice? Yeah...not happy.
trix23 04:35 PM 06-04-2019
I would either change your hours to what you want to work or be ready at your opening time. I switched mine to 8am for this very reason.
AmyKidsCo 01:44 PM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Another option is a fee for unannounced very late arrivals. In the past I’ve had families who were super inconsistent with drop offs and they were my first family scheduled to arrive in the mornings. This was back in the later swing shift DH days, andalso DD wad younger. I explained that if I knew eta, I could use my time better.

It’s not so much of an issue for me anymore like it used to be back then. I guess it’s a matter of just how much the situation is cramping your style.
In WI we're required to contact parents if their child is dropped off late without notice. My policies say that I charge a $5 fee for this "service." My parents are good about letting me know when they're late so I haven't had to charge it yet, but I would if I were annoyed enough.
knoxmomof2 01:58 PM 06-07-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would NOT be okay with that.
Outside of normal hours, ANYTHING special is available ONLY when it's respected. Not showing up on time without notice would eliminate their option of using care outside my normal hours of availability.
I made them text me every morning when they leave the house. When I get the text, I get up and get ready. If they don't text by a certain time, I get up for my next in. They're the family with 2 kids that I recently termed, so that was one of many frustrations I had. I let them stay way longer than I should have....
springv 05:35 PM 06-09-2019
In our center we open at six and close at six. We serve breakfast from six until eight wnd and a morning snack at nine. The majority of our kids show up before six DC during the school year and during the summer after eight depending on our schedule for the week
Tags:courtesy call, late arrivals, opening hours
Reply Up