Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Mom Wants to Sit with Us
TwinMama 06:03 AM 05-20-2019
I have a new dcg starting next week. Mom wants to sit with us a while to make sure she's ok to adapting. How do I politely tell Mom no?
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 05-20-2019
Other threads about parent observations
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...nt+observation

My reply is usually:

"While I understand that you would want to "see me in action" before leaving your child for the first time, I cannot allow it for several reasons.

First is the privacy of the other children and their family's. I do diaper changes, deal with medical issues/conditions, and discuss their home life with them on a daily basis. I have a strict privacy policy and having another adult around violates the trust between my clients and myself.

Second, you are a stranger to the children and their parents. Please consider how you would feel if your child were in care and I allowed a strange adult to the daycare to observe your child.

Third, I consider the trust my clients place in me the cornerstone of our relationship. In a childcare relationship I am asking that a client trust me completely with their child. I ask for honesty and open communication. Asking me to prove myself above and beyond my criminal background check, photo identification, insurance information, and references is not something I am willing to do.

I do understand if you need to find other arrangements. Just know that I value the children's safety and security above all else and allowing adults in to observe them is not part of the safe and secure environment I promise them each and every day."

happymom 07:43 AM 05-20-2019

Can you just send this gif?
happymom 08:01 AM 05-20-2019
But really BlackCats answer was better
Rockgirl 08:08 AM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by happymom:

Perfect!!
Blackcat31 08:43 AM 05-20-2019
But really BlackCats answer was better
......but in my head I am saying exactly that (your gif)!

You can't sit with us!
storybookending 09:16 AM 05-20-2019

I came here to post this hahahah
Mom2Two 11:33 AM 05-20-2019
He will adjust better without mom there. If he is unable to adjust without mom there, then that time comes when we start wondering if the whole situation is going to work out.
rosieteddy 06:19 AM 05-21-2019
I used to let parents come the week before care started.I only let them come 30 min before pick-up started.We always were outside and they sat with me on the sidelines.I explained all of black-cats points.I added that it was to disruptive inside with another adult.Worked they met parents coming and children were dispersed and not so clingy.
Meeko 12:52 PM 05-21-2019
I go over this at interview.
NO.

We want to be able to build a relationship with the child. We want them to come to us for comfort, questions etc. That will not happen while Mom is there. Mom has to leave sometime. So might as well be first thing.

Any parent expecting to see how things work...won't see it. Any provider is going to do her best Mary Poppins impersonation (while feeling dreadfully awkward) and the kids will generally pretend there are no rules whatsoever while a stranger is in the room. A complete waste of everybody's time.

If a parent doesn't trust me, then they need to look elsewhere. Licensing say I am a good provider who follows all the regs. So does the food program. I give a ton of references from both former and current clients. I send home happy kids. That should be enough.
Tags:observer, visitors during workday
Reply Up