Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For CA Providers Regarding Overnight Care
Howl 02:05 PM 02-19-2015
Source: Regulation Interpretations And Procedures For Family Child Care Homes http://www.ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/FCCH.pdf

102417 OPERATION OF A FAMILY CHILD CARE HOME

5. In order to provide night care (overnight care, less than 24 hours):

The provider must remain awake whenever children are awake.

The door to the room where the provider is sleeping must remain open when the provider is sleeping.

If the sleeping arrangements are not situated in such a way that the provider can be assured of hearing a child waken, a monitor system must be used, and must be maintained in good working order at all times.

The home must be equipped with smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher approved for home use in or near all sleeping areas.

Appropriate cribs or beds, complete with adequate and clean bedding and nightclothes, must be available.
daycare 02:11 PM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by Howl:
Source: Regulation Interpretations And Procedures For Family Child Care Homes http://www.ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/FCCH.pdf

102417 OPERATION OF A FAMILY CHILD CARE HOME

5. In order to provide night care (overnight care, less than 24 hours):

The provider must remain awake whenever children are awake.

The door to the room where the provider is sleeping must remain open when the provider is sleeping.

If the sleeping arrangements are not situated in such a way that the provider can be assured of hearing a child waken, a monitor system must be used, and must be maintained in good working order at all times.

The home must be equipped with smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher approved for home use in or near all sleeping areas.

Appropriate cribs or beds, complete with adequate and clean bedding and nightclothes, must be available.
Do you have a question about this REG?
Welcome back to the form
Howl 02:13 PM 02-19-2015
I don't have a question about this reg. I posted it for reference in case other CA providers wanted this information.
Thriftylady 02:21 PM 02-19-2015
I am amazed they let providers sleep during care.
daycare 02:24 PM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am amazed they let providers sleep during care.
Funny thing is that when I asked about doing over night care they told me I had to be awake. I really think it depends on your analyst.

Before my husband became an MD he was a PA and worked in the ER. So many of the night nurses and doctors hit me up for the 11pm to 7am shift. When I checked in with LIC they told me awake. I said no thanks. Lol

I hate CA regs I wish they would be more clear about them
sharlan 03:17 PM 02-19-2015
Daycare, nothing against you, but your analysts do not follow the written regs. I would start making them show you in writing where the regs state whatever.

When I was asked to cover my AC units I asked my analyst where it was written as I didn't recall it. He admitted that it wasn't a written reg but because they had had two severe injuries from kids dropping rocks into the units they were ASKING providers to do it. Neither my neighbor or the lady on the next street were asked to do it. I chose to comply.
daycare 03:55 PM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Daycare, nothing against you, but your analysts do not follow the written regs. I would start making them show you in writing where the regs state whatever.

When I was asked to cover my AC units I asked my analyst where it was written as I didn't recall it. He admitted that it wasn't a written reg but because they had had two severe injuries from kids dropping rocks into the units they were ASKING providers to do it. Neither my neighbor or the lady on the next street were asked to do it. I chose to comply.
I am sure that I could have, but deep down I really didn't want to do over night care anyways, so I never looked past it. This was many moons ago and I had a different analysts than I do now.

So far, I have been lucky that the one I have now is pretty good. Still some things are very unclear and I hate that depending on who I talk to at LIC they will give me different answers.

But I agree, you should not only check with your analyst, you should also look into the REGS....
Reply Up