Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Local Public School Pre-K problems- Need Advice
Nebula 05:11 PM 07-20-2013
Hi Everyone

So I have been open a total of about 6 months now, serving ages 18 months to 4 years with Preschool. I have solid curriculum, I am legal, certified, etc. Minus the teaching degree (which I should finish up my Early Childhood Education Degree in 1 year).

Now I live in a small town (probably 1000 people total) and realize there is a missing gap in the market for childcare. I had a run-in with the secretary of the local elementary school today (they offer a Pre-K program). We were working a family yard sale together, and I was handing out business cards, no big deal. This mom came up whom I had talked to about enrolling her child in my program (had talked to her months ago!!) and her daughter is about to turn 4. Anyway, I handed her a card- explained I was official etc and offered her to come by and check out the house and curriculum.

When this mom left, I was lambasted by the secretary and accused me of "stealing her Pre-K kids". Explained that they were actually teaching Kindergarten skills and preparing them for Kindergarten, while I was only a "babysitting service". Said that if I wanted kids BEFORE they turned 4, that was fine to "prepare them for Pre-K" but that @ 4 she felt they needed to be in a "REAL" pre-school with "REAL" Teachers. This was really insulting, and she is a family member... I don't need the local parents getting mad at me, and I don't need my cousin being angry at me.

I also told her if a parent CHOOSES to send their child to me, that was not me stealing the kids- it was the parent choosing to send them elsewhere..........

Any thoughts on how to approach this situation??
Nebula 05:12 PM 07-20-2013
I might add, My curriculum is top quality.
daycare 05:15 PM 07-20-2013
Originally Posted by Nebula:
Hi Everyone

So I have been open a total of about 6 months now, serving ages 18 months to 4 years with Preschool. I have solid curriculum, I am legal, certified, etc. Minus the teaching degree (which I should finish up my Early Childhood Education Degree in 1 year).

Now I live in a small town (probably 1000 people total) and realize there is a missing gap in the market for childcare. I had a run-in with the secretary of the local elementary school today (they offer a Pre-K program). We were working a family yard sale together, and I was handing out business cards, no big deal. This mom came up whom I had talked to about enrolling her child in my program (had talked to her months ago!!) and her daughter is about to turn 4. Anyway, I handed her a card- explained I was official etc and offered her to come by and check out the house and curriculum.

When this mom left, I was lambasted by the secretary and accused me of "stealing her Pre-K kids". Explained that they were actually teaching Kindergarten skills and preparing them for Kindergarten, while I was only a "babysitting service". Said that if I wanted kids BEFORE they turned 4, that was fine to "prepare them for Pre-K" but that @ 4 she felt they needed to be in a "REAL" pre-school with "REAL" Teachers. This was really insulting, and she is a family member... I don't need the local parents getting mad at me, and I don't need my cousin being angry at me.

I also told her if a parent CHOOSES to send their child to me, that was not me stealing the kids- it was the parent choosing to send them elsewhere..........

my first thought is, is her program all day? Will they be able to cater to kids after the Pre-K program is over? THis is why my son did not do Pre-K. It was only for 3 hours a day, then where does he go????

Second, can their pre-kinder class home every 4 year old in that area? I doubt it. They will take only so many students and then the rest will just miss out.

I would tell your cousin that she should really just mind her business.
Nebula 05:25 PM 07-20-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
my first thought is, is her program all day? Will they be able to cater to kids after the Pre-K program is over? THis is why my son did not do Pre-K. It was only for 3 hours a day, then where does he go????

Second, can their pre-kinder class home every 4 year old in that area? I doubt it. They will take only so many students and then the rest will just miss out.

I would tell your cousin that she should really just mind her business.
That's the thing, she says they always have several open slots every year, so apparently they do have enough room for all the 4 year olds......... they are a half day program, and she said that there are established parents of 20+ years that watch them after Pre-K hours.
Alethea 05:26 PM 07-20-2013
Hi Everyone

I did not know there was such a fight over children. Or is this a fight about funding for the local school district? I can't believe your cousin would be so degrading especially when she's 'just a secretary'. You are not stealing a 'teachers' child. She may feel you are stealing paperwork translation "busy work" for her. If I were you I'd get over people pleasing and work my business.
Nebula 05:32 PM 07-20-2013
Originally Posted by Alethea:
I did not know there was such a fight over children. Or is this a fight about funding for the local school district? I can't believe your cousin would be so degrading especially when she's 'just a secretary'. You are not stealing a 'teachers' child. She may feel you are stealing paperwork translation "busy work" for her. If I were you I'd get over people pleasing and work my business.
She says that those pre-k kids "keep her employed" and I explained how I felt about public education (cattle drive and nothing but standardized test prep!) and I think it made things worse.
daycare 05:33 PM 07-20-2013
That's the thing, she says they always have several open slots every year, so apparently they do have enough room for all the 4 year olds......... they are a half day program, and she said that there are established parents of 20+ years that watch them after Pre-K hours.
I see, but that does not mean that every parent wants to participate in that type of program. I have had families enroll in my care because they were not ready to have their child start pre-k, could not move their current schedules, did not want their child to change places at the time....

I would just ignore your cousin and keep on doing good business as normal
Nebula 05:38 PM 07-20-2013
I see, but that does not mean that every parent wants to participate in that type of program. I have had families enroll in my care because they were not ready to have their child start pre-k, could not move their current schedules, did not want their child to change places at the time....

I would just ignore your cousin and keep on doing good business as normal
Yeah, I have a very specific to- The Bible and Christian program, so maybe that could be a selling point.
daycare 05:40 PM 07-20-2013
I dont have a religious program, but that would be a GREAT selling point for you. It makes you different, which stands out. I think that I would REALLY push on that when you advertise.
Nebula 05:44 PM 07-20-2013
I dont have a religious program, but that would be a GREAT selling point for you. It makes you different, which stands out. I think that I would REALLY push on that when you advertise.
Yeah we live in The Bible belt..........
daycare 05:50 PM 07-20-2013
the public school is not religion based?
racemom 06:27 AM 07-21-2013
I think I would try explaining to her you are not stealing her kids just offering an alternative. Try to make it sound like you are both working on a common goal, which is to get the kids ready for kindergarten. Tell her some parents/kids are not ready for the big school yet, and you want them to be able to be kinder ready but to get there in a smaller setting. Hope this helps!
Hunni Bee 06:50 AM 07-21-2013
I wouldn't give this another thought.

Just think about it like this: if making her happy means your business fails, would you be okay with it? Well, that's exactly what it means because the minute you (general you) start catering to the wants and opinions of this one and that one, your business stops belonging to you. I've watched it happen.

Don't think because you're new anyone has any stake in your business decisions. Take the ages you like, run the curriculum you like, advertise when and where you need to.

I can understand her panic but honestly that has nothing to do with you. You're a private business owner, and she's not a expert on ECE. Some kids do well in a school based learning environment, some flourish in a smaller one. None of them "must" to public pre-k just because its there.
Nebula 10:49 PM 07-21-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I wouldn't give this another thought.

Just think about it like this: if making her happy means your business fails, would you be okay with it? Well, that's exactly what it means because the minute you (general you) start catering to the wants and opinions of this one and that one, your business stops belonging to you. I've watched it happen.

Don't think because you're new anyone has any stake in your business decisions. Take the ages you like, run the curriculum you like, advertise when and where you need to.

I can understand her panic but honestly that has nothing to do with you. You're a private business owner, and she's not a expert on ECE. Some kids do well in a school based learning environment, some flourish in a smaller one. None of them "must" to public pre-k just because its there.
I like the way you put that! Thanks
Angelsj 05:59 AM 07-22-2013
She says that those pre-k kids "keep her employed" and I explained how I felt about public education (cattle drive and nothing but standardized test prep!) and I think it made things worse.
Yes, but it is true, and needs to be changed. I don't even use a "real" curriculum for the most part, and often parents are on board who want their kids to spend that early time being kids and not in a classroom setting. Not everyone believes it is best for kids to learn the academics early on and certainly not in a formal setting.
Nebula 06:28 AM 07-22-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Yes, but it is true, and needs to be changed. I don't even use a "real" curriculum for the most part, and often parents are on board who want their kids to spend that early time being kids and not in a classroom setting. Not everyone believes it is best for kids to learn the academics early on and certainly not in a formal setting.
The thing is, she couldn't disagree with me. I asked her point blank, "What do they teach?" She says "Things to pass the STAR Test". I made my point, but then she threw in a jab that said "they also teach science, social studies, and social skills.

I told her that I would rather have a well balanced child, who graduated high school knowing basic life skills math (balancing, budgeting etc...) than a wiz kid in Calculus and Trig.
Reply Up