Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vehicle Insurance...
Unregistered 01:44 PM 09-06-2013
I'm just wondering what other providers are doing when it comes to your transportation policies and vehicle insurance. I recently got a new vehicle and when I went to add it to our current policy, my insurance company said they couldn't cover it because, technically, its considered a commercial vehicle. The only way they would cover it was unless I followed a strict no transportation policy. At this time, I don't provide transportation for my families. For the most part, the only time we'd be going out would be to go to the store or the park. So what do you guys do? And, out of curiosity, someone mentioned having families sign a waiver stating they wouldn't sue in the event of an accident, if they wanted/needed their child transported. How viable is that?
Leigh 01:54 PM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm just wondering what other providers are doing when it comes to your transportation policies and vehicle insurance. I recently got a new vehicle and when I went to add it to our current policy, my insurance company said they couldn't cover it because, technically, its considered a commercial vehicle. The only way they would cover it was unless I followed a strict no transportation policy. At this time, I don't provide transportation for my families. For the most part, the only time we'd be going out would be to go to the store or the park. So what do you guys do? And, out of curiosity, someone mentioned having families sign a waiver stating they wouldn't sue in the event of an accident, if they wanted/needed their child transported. How viable is that?
You may want to check with different companies. I CAN have state minimums on my personal policy and still transport. I'm sure it is different with other companies. My own preference is to avoid the "large" insurance companies, and go with a local "mutual" insurance. It's always been cheaper for me, they don't drop you for making a claim, and their policies are more consumer friendly. I DO carry higher limits on my policy, just in case. I'm insured for 300,000 per passenger.
TwinKristi 02:01 PM 09-06-2013
Some daycare insurance policies offer a vehicle policy as well for when you're driving with DCKs. Also, my dh has a commercial policy through Progressive and it's not that much at all! I was shocked actually when we switched policies!
originalkat 02:08 PM 09-06-2013
My Insurance company allows me to transport the DCK's in the car with me. I did raise my limits to 1 Million for only a few extra dollars just to be sure I am covered. If you have 6 kids in your car things could get costly very quickly if there was an accident.
itlw8 02:09 PM 09-06-2013
a wavier will do you no good. As Tom on the tax forum or go read his article.

I can not transport either and had to sign a paper stating I would not.

Try state Farm They ins childcare so will likely have a policy to cover it.
Blackcat31 02:09 PM 09-06-2013
I do not transport daycare children ever so I am not required to carry any additional insurance policies. I would definitely do some checking around to see what other insurance carriers say.

As far as the waiver goes, I don't think parents cannot sign away their right to sue or take legal action. Even if they signed a waiver saying they wouldn't sue, if you were negligent in ANY way, they could still sue you.
liliput 06:50 PM 09-11-2013
The only solution to your problem would be to find another insurance company that could happily serve you. I know there are some companies that has a minimum when it comes to holding policies so better ask around for another.
sly red cid 06:58 PM 09-11-2013
you may need to have a chauffeurs license in addition to commercial insurance.
Corey Rush 06:52 AM 09-12-2013
A personal auto policy specifically excludes "business use" or transporting for hire. Yes there are a few exceptions to the rule, however transporting children on a daily basis or even 2-3 times per week would require a commercial insurance policy. Not to fear....commercial auto policies are often less expensive, atleast that is my experience in Michigan. Also, Homeowners Insurance does not provide Professional Liability. Your insurance carrier may have added the endorsement to your policy for your daycare but this is not the extemely important coverage you need.
Cradle2crayons 10:06 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Corey Rush:
A personal auto policy specifically excludes "business use" or transporting for hire. Yes there are a few exceptions to the rule, however transporting children on a daily basis or even 2-3 times per week would require a commercial insurance policy. Not to fear....commercial auto policies are often less expensive, atleast that is my experience in Michigan. Also, Homeowners Insurance does not provide Professional Liability. Your insurance carrier may have added the endorsement to your policy for your daycare but this is not the extemely important coverage you need.
My auto policy doesn't exclude business use at all and I don't have the need for a commercial policy.

Some states or companies may not do daycare or transportation insurance, but some do. And mine does.

Previously I had a small car and transported some in my car but when I had to take them all somewhere, I was covered with my insurance whether I was renting a car or borrowing a friends third row.

A few weeks ago I bought a new Honda pilot. When the finance company got the fax to prove coverage they were flabbergasted at all that was on there regarding information and amounts. I, like a previous poster, majorly upped my coverage amounts to cover myself, my two kids, and five more. It's one thing to have me and my two kids at a max of $300,000 but when there are 8 people total in a vehicle, the numbers have to be adjusted.
Tags:insurance - auto
Reply Up