Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do - Friend and Neighbor
boysx5 05:24 PM 03-27-2010
One of my friends and also a neighbor wanted to use me for childcare for two days a week for her job she got. Well after she got the job she found out she was pregnant with her fourth child. She was just put on bedrest and she is only 21 weeks along and they would like her to get to at least 34 weeks if she can. So she asked if I would take her son, who is three, a few days a week. I considered not charging her but thought long and hard and for one he takes a spot up and two this is my business I can't watch kids for free I have five sons of my own that I need to feed. Well she did pay me last week for four days and then complained to my other friend about how daycare is going to kill them while she is on bedrest yet two of the days he came here last week her mother was in town and the other day her husband was home so if they wanted to save on daycare then they should have kept him home.
momofsix 06:37 PM 03-27-2010
If they asked you to watch him, knowing in advance the cost, then I would charge as you normally would and not worry about it. She might have just been complaining to complain, not because it's a real hardship. If it truly was a hardship you're right--they could have kept him home, of she could have done the mature thing and talked to you herself if she had concerns about being able to afford you. I wouldn't worry about it, and would charge her your normal rate. You are running a business
mac60 04:50 AM 03-28-2010
Maybe she should of used birth control and not had a 4th child. It kills me the people who think they can shuck out kids then expect the rest of us to give them discounts because of their choices. Daycare, like kids, are an expense, only have what you can afford. Yes, charge, you are a business.
MarinaVanessa 07:45 AM 03-28-2010
I agree that you shouldn't worry about it. She should pay as usual as like you said, if they wanted to save on daycare they shouldve kept him home. She's pregnant and probably just wants someone to hear her talk. She's on bed-rest and probably desperate to have someone hear her woes. I remember being pregnant and loving the attention I was getting from people when they found out that I was bed-rest (yes, I'm guilty). I mean it wasn't terribly bad. Don't sweat it or take it to heart and if does become a financial hardship then she could just talk to you.
TGT09 12:20 PM 03-28-2010
You have a business and expenses. I discount for my friends but that's it! I charge $33 a day and I charge my friends $20. Not saying you should do that....it sounds like she EXPECTS you to do something and that would irritate the living you know what out of me!

On another note, some people are just complainers. I agree with above though, if another child was going to put them in this much of a hard place for money then use birth control! I have a dcfamily of 4 kids and I never have them questioning me on my prices. They don't expect any of my care to be discounted just because they have 4 children (I have 1 child full time and 3 only 1 day a week).
momofboys 12:57 PM 03-28-2010
I personally would not worry about it. If she is concerned she will say something to you. I would never expect a discount just b/c I was a neighbor on bedrest.
boysx5 08:54 AM 03-29-2010
thank you for the replies I feel much better knowing I'm doing the right thing and wouldn't want anyone to do a special favor for me. I am doing the days I can do and they can worry about the rest
misol 07:26 PM 03-29-2010
Originally Posted by boysx5:
One of my friends and also a neighbor wanted to use me for childcare for two days a week for her job she got. Well after she got the job she found out she was pregnant with her fourth child. She was just put on bedrest and she is only 21 weeks along and they would like her to get to at least 34 weeks if she can. So she asked if I would take her son, who is three, a few days a week. I considered not charging her but thought long and hard and for one he takes a spot up and two this is my business I can't watch kids for free I have five sons of my own that I need to feed. Well she did pay me last week for four days and then complained to my other friend about how daycare is going to kill them while she is on bedrest yet two of the days he came here last week her mother was in town and the other day her husband was home so if they wanted to save on daycare then they should have kept him home.
You said it yourself - he is taking up a spot. Charge her and don't worry about it. I agree with the others in that if she has any real issues, she will come talk to you about it.
Tags:spot
Reply Up