Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>States That Don't Allow Liability Insurance Affidavits
MarinaVanessa 07:06 AM 07-05-2013
I just wanted some thoughts from providers about this. In CA we aren't required to have liability insurance or a bond but if we don't we have to have our clients sign an affidavit that says that they have been informed that we don't have either. This is a requirement of licensing. As of right now we have a choice of whether or not we wish to purchase liability insurance or a bond or not but I know some states don't allow that option. How has that worked out for you and what are your thoughts?

I received an email (because I'm the board of my child care association) from the coordinator of an organization called Family Childcare Policy Advisory Committee (FCCAC) saying that attorneys keep telling them that providers who chose not to purchase liability insurance or bonds are being sued and go to them for help and do not understand why they weren't protected by the Affidavits. They are asking for help if we, as an association, agree that providers would be better off without affidavits. Correct me if I'm wrong but if they remove the option for providers to be able to have affidavits signed (if they don't want to or can't afford liability insurance or bonds) wouldn't that then force providers to have to purchase liability insurance? (I emailed the coordinator back but have yet to hear from him).

Oh and as it turns out the FCCAC gets all of their funding from DCI (a daycare insurance provider) and the coordinator that I was emailing with happens to be the president of DCI. Seems a little fishy to me, as in it seems that the president of a major daycare insurance company is trying to get petition signatures to get rid of the affidavit option with the excuse that it would benefit providers because then they would be covered by insurance and therefore not be unprepared in case of a liability suit.
Tags:affidavit, insurance
Up