Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas

Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas Post breakfast items, lunch items, and snack items that are all child friendly here. Each posting should include ONLY ONE meal option. The SUBJECT of each message should be ONLY the name of the food you are describing.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Talking Black Beans.....

For the last few hours I have been playing around with some Black Beans DH brought home to use this weekend. I have not really cooked with them before since they do not grow locally and was expecting them to taste something similar to black eye peas....

I decided to add them to a pot of long grained rice mixed with cooked down black eyed peas (I added a bit of bacon for flavoring)..... It turned out so good!!!!

They taste similar to boiled peanuts and could be a HUGE protein source for the daycare since kids seem to instinctively LOVE peanut butter, I think...

Please, give me your black bean recipes....everything I look up has lots of cayenne or other hot peppers, Not toddler friendly

I have about 4 more pounds and they rock!!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM

I don't cook with them but my DH makes a mean black bean chili. That doesn't help you though.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3 View Post
I don't cook with them but my DH makes a mean black bean chili. That doesn't help you though.
I bet it would!! My DCK's LOVE red bean chili..... I serve it with yellow honey cornbread to "dull the burn"....

I could mild it down, too... Bring it on!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 PM

I know he has black beans, ground beef, diced tomatoes, bell peppers, white onion, tomato sauce, chili powder, cayenne pepper... I'll ask him tonight for what I missed since I don't see him add the rest. He serves it with rice sometimes too to cut the heat when he makes it really hot.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM
momatheart

go to allrecipes.com and look up black bean dip YUMMY
Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM

I went there first, Momatheart...and Thank you! That is one of my favorite sites....been a member for a while.

They just did not have a wide variety of child friendly choices featuring these beans...rare for them, I know...

I was hoping some folks here maybe used them more often and had some old/easy recipes with few ingredients...
Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3 View Post
I know he has black beans, ground beef, diced tomatoes, bell peppers, white onion, tomato sauce, chili powder, cayenne pepper... I'll ask him tonight for what I missed since I don't see him add the rest. He serves it with rice sometimes too to cut the heat when he makes it really hot.
He doesn't measure, so it's all by sight/taste but this is pretty much what he uses.

1 lb. ground beef
24 oz of soaked black beans
1 diced bell pepper
1/2 large white onion
12 oz. tomato sauce
2 1/2 diced tomatoes

to taste:

chili power
curry
cayenne pepper

optional:

cayenne sauce
garlic
celery
Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks, DCMomOf3

Simple enough ....DH is the chili whisperer, so I will put him on it this week
Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 PM
LindaMJ

Default Black Beans

Definitely go to allrecipes.com! It has many,many recipes for beans including Lentil Tacos and Black Bean & Salsa soup, among others. This is my favorite site! The Lentil Tacos are so delicious and I was Shocked! when I saw my PICKY eaters inhaling them. There are so many recipes on this site and I love it because of the reviews by other people (click on Most Helpful). Have Fun!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:22 AM

Thanks LindaMJ! Will check their recipes out today...
Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Daycare.com Member

Sounds yummy so I looked it up and found this one, but I haven't tried it.

Black Bean Soup

2.5 quarts water
Diced salt pork or other fat 1/2 cup????
3/4 cup ea. of carrots, onion, celery, & potatoes
1/4 garlic clove optional
small bay leaf
2 whole cloves
1.5 tsp salt
1/4 pepper
1 ham bone or shank
1/2 lb frankfurters optional
1 Tbsp Parsley chopped

After typing it, it does not seem very easy.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:47 AM

Black bean quesadillas, black beans w/ rice and cubed ham, or black bean soup...we have all of those in our regular dinner rotation. Yum!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 AM

I used this recipe off Kraft's website. I left out the onion and pepper because I didn't have any, and omitted the cilantro because I don't like it. I used whatever salsa we had on hand too. We also had lettuce available for topping.

1 medium red pepper, chopped
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained, rinsed
1 cup water
1/3 cup TACO BELLŪ HOME ORIGINALSŪ Thick 'N Chunky Salsa
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
8 flour tortillas, (6 inch)
3/4 cup KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
Make It

COOK and stir peppers and onions in hot oil in large skillet on low heat for 5 minutes. Add beans, water, salsa and cumin; mix well. Bring to boil.

STIR in rice. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.

SPOON evenly onto tortillas; sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Roll up.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

I use black beans in taco salad for my daycare kids. I have also used them in tacos. For the taco salad, I brown hamburger, heat up some black beans, break up tortilla chips and tear up lettuce. I put a little of all of it on each childs plate with some shredded cheese and sour cream and they love it. For the tacos, I mix the black beans in with the hamburger or place a layer of beans on top of the hamburger when I place the burger in the taco shell.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Celebrating Daily!

I prepare the black beans and then mash them up a bit and cook them with hamburger as I'm browning it. Then I use the mix for anything I use ground hamburger for (spaghetti, tacos). The kids don't complain because they don't know they are there at all. I have also added fully cooked black beans to meat loaf and that's really good to. I also use light color beans and hide them with cooked chicken dishes.

Tags
black beans, black eye peas, recipe