Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Refusing To Pay Final Bill Until 3 Missing Socks Are Returned
cnamory 08:17 PM 02-04-2013
I have a mom that started a year ago. When she started she left the diaper bag with me she did not want to have to bring it on a daily basis. After the bag was dropped off I did ask her for more baby white and cream but she never did bring me replacement so instead of making a big deal out of it ..when I was grocery shopping I would just buy the extra wips and cream if needed. No biggie.. I have her child for 14 hours a day this is not our original agreement so I decided that I was going to rewrite my contract and charge a flat 2.50 hour instead of my usual flat rate. She did not agree with it and decided to take her son elsewhere. I gave her her final bill and all of her belongings diapers, clothing, bottles, milk ex... today instead of dropping me a check off she lives me a list of missing items... 3 missing socks, 1 t shirt, a small toy car, and 1 missing bottle, dipper cream, and wips.. now either these things have been returned, (clothing) loss (toy car) or like the wipes and cream.. used.. ( his things have been with me for over a year, and I had had her kid 75 hours a week since he was 5 weeks old) she is refusing to pay me until I return all of these exact items.. she will not take the replacement car or socks etc .. this lady has been a pain in my booty from day 1 ... so. do I just text her and let her know that I will just have to take her to small claims court... any suggestions are very welcome thanks for the help ladies and gents!!!
cnamory 08:26 PM 02-04-2013
I have a mom that started a year ago. When she started she left the diaper bag with me she did not want to have to bring it on a daily basis. After the bag was dropped off I did ask her for more baby white and cream but she never did bring me replacement so instead of making a big deal out of it ..when I was grocery shopping I would just buy the extra wips and cream if needed. No biggie.. I have her child for 14 hours a day this is not our original agreement so I decided that I was going to rewrite my contract and charge a flat 2.50 hour instead of my usual flat rate. She did not agree with it and decided to take her son elsewhere. I gave her her final bill and all of her belongings diapers, clothing, bottles, milk ex... today instead of dropping me a check off she lives me a list of missing items... 3 missing socks, 1 t shirt, a small toy car, and 1 missing bottle, dipper cream, and wips.. now either these things have been returned, (clothing) loss (toy car) or like the wipes and cream.. used.. ( his things have been with me for over a year, and I had had her kid 75 hours a week since he was 5 weeks old) she is refusing to pay me until I return all of these exact items.. she will not take the replacement car or socks etc .. this lady has been a pain in my booty from day 1 ... so. do I just text her and let her know that I will just have to take her to small claims court... any suggestions are very welcome thanks for the help ladies and gents!!!
Michael 08:34 PM 02-04-2013
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
Willow 05:55 AM 02-05-2013
Wow, what an awful experience this mother must have been for you!

As for what to do now, I wouldn't say another word to her and would instead just file the claim. It's obvious she is incredibly disrespectful, passive aggressive and hostile. I wouldn't attempt to manage her directly at all from here on out. If she contacts you in response let her know that you don't think it's appropriate for her to have direct contact, that you can settle it in court.

For the future, don't let your daycare parents treat you so horribly! Don't just drop your own money on items parents are supposed to supply. And don't feel the need to alter your original contract simply because a parent is pushing how many hours they're leaving their child with you - put your foot down and require they come pick up their child at the originally agreed upon times! 14 hours a day is way too long day for you and for a baby. 75 hours a week I'd say is just down right unethical. Kids need time with their parents, that's just a completely unacceptable amount of time away from home.

If pick up time is slotted for 5pm they're there at 5pm. Three nights of intentionally late pick ups and you hand them they're termination notice.

Good luck to you in court, I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting what you're owed.
NeedaVaca 06:03 AM 02-05-2013
I agree with PP, I would only add that from now on get payments in advance. You won't have to worry about collecting your money after the fact if you are getting paid prior to service.
SilverSabre25 07:20 AM 02-05-2013
That is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous! I agree....take it to court. THe judge will probably laugh in her face!
blessed mom 06:43 PM 02-10-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I agree with PP, I would only add that from now on get payments in advance. You won't have to worry about collecting your money after the fact if you are getting paid prior to service.
Yep, I have my parents pay two weeks ahead! Good luck, sounds like a horrible situation!
renodeb 06:47 PM 02-10-2013
I love that letter that chatter box shared. I guess with some parents you have to take a hard stance. I cant believe this mom is being this way over such silly things. If I had to replace all the lost little things that have gone missing through the last 7 years I would probably be broke! I think she is just trying to avoid paying.
Do you have a contract with this family? Do you have a section in your contract that includes legal fees and stuff? I would just file a claim in court and let them handle it. And amend your current contract to state that you are not responcible for loss or missing articles of clothing such as socks, or things like toy cars and that once those things enter your house you can not guarantee there condition. Maybe even state that things like toys, wipes, and diaper creme become community property.
I have to say that, thats a long day for any kid. Hopefully you can replace that family with one that will be good to you.
I actually have a parent that made such a big deal over me returning two bottles to her that after I looked and looked for them and just credited the price of two baby bottles back to her. Ofcourse a week later I found one of the bottles but she never offered to give me the money for it. Usually things like that just become part of my stock.
Deb
MissAnn 10:32 AM 02-11-2013
Any updates?
cnamory 01:31 PM 02-11-2013
No she still has not payed me I did come across a pair of socks and car toy belonging to her! I'm going to call her tonight and ask if and when so would like to come pick up her things and also give her one last chance to pay me! And yes in my new contract I did include that I am not responsible for lost or damaged belongings!!! its DCP like this that blow it for the rest!
MarinaVanessa 01:34 PM 02-11-2013
Perfect. Now she's only missing one sock, a t-shirt and a bottle .

Hopefully she won't hold your money hostage now.
cnamory 01:47 PM 02-11-2013
Lol.. She will probably find a reason not pay me.. you know how expensive socks and t shirt.. umm $380.00 should cover it..jk..lol
SuperNinjaMommy 10:58 AM 02-12-2013
She sounds petty and immature. She is clearly unhappy in her life and only gets happiness out of being a complete idiot and making other people's lives harder. When will people understand that we take care of their most precious possession and they really should be thankful instead of making our lives miserable. Is it just me or does everyone think our job is so much fun but the parents make it crap!
Tags:late payment letter, letter samples, samples
Reply Up