Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Unregistered

Default Making Room For Siblings

I have a small home day care. My license allows me only 3 children, which is all I want, for several reasons.

I currently have 3 children here and things are running fairly smoothly. (Honestly, I thought I had a major issue until I read some of the posts in the rant thread. It suddenly doesn't seem like much of a problem now!) ;-) Anyway, the mother who has been with me the longest is having a baby in a few months and wants me to keep it. I've had her little girl since she was an infant, and we love her dearly, so I need to find a way to keep the new baby.

This means that someone has to go. I'm thinking that the last one in should be the one to go. I feel bad, because the parents are great, pay 2 weeks ahead, never late, not demanding, interested, concerned. The child is a challenge, she hates the other kids, and we have a lot of screaming and tears. But, when the other kids stay away from her, she's a sweet girl.

Has anyone heard of a state that would allow some sort of waiver for siblings, or do you know of a way to handle this without giving up a child? This parent works odd hours and in this small town, there just anyone else willing to work with her hours. If I drop her, she's going to be in a mess. All 3 of my moms have the same problem, odd hours.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. I'm in Texas.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

is there an option to get licensed for a few more children? I'd just add a 4th child to the mix for a while if that was an option. I remember when I was starting my daycare and found out I could only be licensed for 5 kids - thought that was so low, now I'm glad, I wouldn't want anymore, LOL! But really... 3 kids is not a lot, I would think there has to be some type of license for in between 3 and a center, no??
Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Unregistered

There is, but I don't want to do it. With 3, I'm not inspected and have minimal paperwork. In my previous business, I spent 17 years dealing with government requirements, and I don't want to do it again. On top of that, I live in a historic house and many parts of it wouldn't be approved if I moved up to the next level.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm in Texas as well. I don't know of any way that you could add a 4th child without getting registered and still be in compliance. At least with being registered you don't have to pay a lot of money (like $35 per year), and the paperwork truly isn't so bad. I'm licensed and the paperwork isn't that bad with that either.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Unregistered

I'm listed, but I don't want to deal with menus, inspections, vaccination records, etc. etc. (I use to be a foster parent and remember the details). But, the biggest issue is that I live in an old house heated with Dearborn heaters. That won't be approved, and I'm not really interested in putting in central heat in a house with 12' ceilings. The stoves aren't in the area with the kids, but that wouldn't matter. Twenty years ago, they approved us as a foster home with Dearborn heaters, but times change.

It's funny that there is so much difference just to add one child. From no supervison to reams of supervision. Seems that if all of the parents were ok with me adding this baby, and they are, there should be some waiver. They know that someone is going to lose out, and they are all worried.

Tags
siblings